Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BX63 replacement?

"voice coils jammed all the way out, cocked and hung up on the top of the gap??"
    And THAT, is exactly why I need a recone kit for the babiest of 43xx series - babiest, but very serious in it's own right!

And, it weren't my doing to have hung it! I'm on the repair team. (hey Don - we need an smiley icon for a Doctor...!! Or, er, at least a nursie )
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    "Gee, you mean people didn't actually WANT hyper-extended 2235s with their voice coils jammed all the way out, cocked and hung up on the top of the gap?? Geesh, what's the world coming to?"

I'm sure it had more to do with warranty repair

Tom Roper

This is the one I built

As you can see, it's a much superior drawing than the others. Bar napkins are that way.
    Last edited by Tom Roper; 08-28-2003 at 04:01 PM.

Obsolete

Re: This is the one I built

Hi Tom,

"As you can see, it's a much superior drawing than the others. Bar napkins are that way."

Haha

This is for the B460 you picked up from Ron Gold right?

How is Ron these days?

I used to go over to his house every once in awhile many, many years ago to listen to his various creations. I lived a few blocks away from him when he was still on South Bannock.

Anyway ... I'm glad this worked out for you

Tom Roper
    Yep. Got it from Ron. It was in perfect condition, until he noticed a noise, something amiss in the 2245H driver. When I arrived to pick up the B460, he had a brand new 2245H still in the box for it. .

I was so happy to find a B460 like this. It was always the one I wanted. Thought I'd never own one. It's free from scratches, the wood is nearly perfect, well cared for. With the BX63(A) equalization, it is music to my ears, beautiful, perfect!

I don't know where he got (gets) the 2245H, but he says he stocks them. He's a very reputable guy.

He hasn't worked out of his house in years though. The house on S. Bannock is also where I first met him. We were all quite a bit younger then .

He's on a corner on S. Broadway now, I forget exactly, a few blocks south of Hampden.

He's got a nice shop, a couple of employees, was carrying his usual assortment of vintage stuff, but also KEF, NHT, a few HDTVs, some JBL Pro. He's frequented by loyal customers, who know him by name.

He's calm and relaxed these days...

Tom Roper

Couple of pics for the readers

Tom Roper

Side story

The wife HATED it when I brought it home...OMG what to do? I could always get another wife, but a B460?

So I set the lamp on top of it, put the plant on it. Then people started coming by, saying it didn't look bad. Once she figured she could use it as table, put pictures knick-knacks on it, she gradually came to accept it. Then my sister came out from Dallas, interior decorator. I thought OMG, I'm in trouble now. First thing she said was, "what is it? does that thing have to be in that corner?" Before I could answer, she said "it's nice wood, looks kind of nice." And so she started blending stuff around it into the room decor. WHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Memo: Knick Knacks tend to get jostled about on top of a B460

Tom Roper

Sorry to hijack this thread

But here is the corner opposite. It's obviously just a family room, not a home theater, but it works. I made a 5.1 system from JBL LSR-25P. All in all, for what it is, it sounds great and blends seamlessly with the B460. The room itself is pretty good set up this way, room modes are not out of control, and swept tones show a reasonably flat room response, not perfect, but within about 7 db from 25 hz to 120 hz, the upper number being the crossover point to the satellite speakers.

The B460 is powered by a Crown K2, so if you seriously crank the volume, the LSR-25Ps can't run with it of course, peaking at around 109 db. No one has complained though...

Is this the same Ron Gold, of Gold Sound you guys are talking about? A friend of mine and I, used to use LOTS of his speaker parts. My friend had the first pair of JBL 2404 I ever heard, they came from there... and that's when I fell in love with JBL tweeters...

I miss the drivers Gold Sound used to sell under their own brand name... especially the 1260 and 1270 12" woofers. Man, we built some DEVASTATING car stereo systems with those, back in the late '80s, with those, the old Altec Voice of the Highway 6x9s (usually with the tweeters removed, used as midbass only), the Gold Sound 620 midbass drivers, and/or the old Sony XS-L16 6" midbasses (I still have a pair of these, waiting for the right project), Audax 12P25 and PR17 mids, and the 2404, one of the MB Quart titanium domes, or a Focal fiberglass dome on highs.

Stuff that would do 126+ dB in the car (that's all we knew, the old Radio Shack SPL meters topped out there!), but had SLAM, PUNCH, midbass SNAP and CLARITY. . Usually, triamped (subs on one amp, midbass on another, mid/highs on a third) 4-way systems, when we could get the OK to do it. Literally, like a rolling large-format studio monitor system, in many ways!

We had people stacked up for months, wanting us to sort out and beef up THEIR car systems, after they heard what COULD be done, beyond the usual "sizzle-boom" that most of the hack shops were doing... and unfortuntately, for a large part, STILL seem to be doing...

Whew, sorry for the off-topic ramble...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Tom Roper

Yes Gordon, that's him!

Obsolete

Re: Couple of pics for the readers

Thanks for the pictures

"Thanks for the pictures "

Yea, thanks! That B460 is a beauty - tugging at my heart strings.

Got me wondering why dang fireplaces still command center-stage and are so rarely used. Sure screws up the lay-out! Plus, they work just fine in corners...!

Say - is that a home video?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Tom Roper
    Originally posted by boputnam
    "Thanks for the pictures "
    Got me wondering why dang fireplaces still command center-stage and are so rarely used. Sure screws up the lay-out! Plus, they work just fine in corners...!

Say - is that a home video?
    You have that right about the dang fireplace

That's Michelle from HDNet, sumtuous creature

Obsolete
    Um, Yeah!

Makes me want to go down to the 16th Street Mall...

Originally posted by GordonW
    Gee, you mean people didn't actually WANT hyper-extended 2235s with their voice coils jammed all the way out, cocked and hung up on the top of the gap?? Geesh, what's the world coming to?

Regards,
    Gordon.
    who had that happen himself once... whoa, that was a bad day...
    OK, sorry to dig up this old thread, but this sounds exactly like what's happening to my B380. As soon as I pour the power to it that 2235 starts popping. I've got to believe it being hyper-extended.

Is there a way to add a DC block to the BX-63? Could this be my problem? The speaker sounds great until I add too much power.

Thanks, Terry

Thread Information