Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HORNS VS TWEETER

HORNS VS TWEETER

i have noticed that 99% of people in this forum prefer horns to tweeter speakrs

i personaly dont know whats so special with horns...i guess to each his own ....my freind has a SVA 1800 fronts SVA 1600 rears , SVA center ...the sound for movies is out of this world but for music my TIK's knock them out with a single blow....

first , detail ....well for one the SVA horns have non or very minimul compared to the articulaty of my TIK's...

Sound stage .... ok the horns give a wide playful image of the soundstage witch can easily be imitated by my yamaha dsp processor all i have to push is the hall or concert button in my remote and voila ....there is nothing "realistic" about the sound in the horns i am not saying its bad i am just saying its different in a bad way:dont-know

my friend was like you it took a while and an audition of my speakers to compare the sounds between the SVA and my TIK i finaly managed to pull him to the dark side ...and he still for some reason totaly loves his 5 year SVA system ...i gues once you go horns you dont go back...but he said he will move the SVA to another room and buy tiks for his entertainment room (he has more money than me )

so if your into movies or music the tweeter array (search you feelings ) is the best way to go
    JBL i am the biggest fan

Exclamation Duck!

Oh man, you're in trouble now.

I hope you've got your flame suit on.

You better think fast before you say anything else.

You're in for a fight.

Okay, it won't be that bad, but a vintage JBL fan loves the horns. LOVES 'em. (We need a a smilie for :luvhrns: and one for :tirulz:.)

I've got a pair of SVA1800s, and I still play some of my loudest rock through them, just like the arena and stadium musicians did when they toured: Deep Purple, The Who, Def Leppard, U2, James Gang, Midnight Oil, etc. LOVE them horns!

However, the Ti EOS WaveGuide tweeters and Ti pistonic drive inverted domes are better IMO, much better. But if you live in a barn, you'll want them horns blastin' away.

Thanks for starting a war.
    Out.

clmrt
    I came from NHT SuperOnes and Infinity Alpha's, into Seville's with the Altec 3000 horn tweeter.

I don't know what physics are at work here, but at low levels (70db or less) the music just seems to flow out of the speaker, suspended like electric fog in the air. Weightless.

With the others, there had to be some juice behind them to get the sound into the room. Even then, there was a sense of falsehood about what I heard. I kept changing speakers. Maybe I like it brighter and hotter vs. damp? and warm.

I know about sensitivity, but I'm not talking about that - it's about how the sound is represented at the same levels. Like incandescent vs. HID. Ginsu vs. Samurai sword.

Bottom line, all designs are a means to an end - move air to make sound. The Altecs have me thinking about other things now - tube amps, preamps...other things.

Tweeters? Whatever FOR?

[We don't need no steenkin' TWEETERS!]

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    altough I would gladly audition some TiKs....

I Love the audio from my Altec 19s -- 802G/811B HF/Horn Combo......
    just a certain sweetness to them....

although I do want to try horns dampened with the latex/sand technique -- methinks that eventually I am going to build a slightly larger Altec M19 clone box and use the 511 horns I have......

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Oh man, you're in trouble now. You better think fast before you say anything else.

You're in for a fight.

Okay, it won't be that bad, but a vintage JBL fan loves the horns. LOVES 'em. (We need a a smilie for :luvhrns: and one for :tirulz:.)

However, the Ti EOS WaveGuide tweeters and Ti pistonic drive inverted domes are better IMO, much better. But if you live in a barn, you'll want them horns blastin' away.

Thanks for starting a war.

wowow didnot meen to offend any one ....you guys just speaking my mind and anyway horns /tubes ......are so old fashion ....you are a dying religeon..guys we live in 2005....how many of us live in barns ...farms ....most of us live in major cities if not at least in the suburbs...we dont need ....all that "cosmetic" sound......you know i hit a nerve because you see the truth vintage is out ..you guys we only live once so lets live a little ....lets try somthing new ...dont just say no ...try it than make your decision ...i am sure that most of you are into music more than movies so lets be honest....horns are so old fashion ..... most expensive loud speakers
    are with tweeters some with more than a dozen tweeters on one speaker
    horns....

non of these come close to a lovely jbl speakers just whant to show you that horns are wrthless
    http://www.avguide.com/product/Speakers/Main_Speakers/Burmester/B-97/625.jsp

http://www.avguide.com/product/speak...aline/2815.jsp

http://www.avguide.com/product/speak...ation/1798.jsp

this next one is when you know that horns are pathetic

http://www.avguide.com/product/speak.../G1.1/2915.jsp

this list could go on....

any way you get my meaning tell me now are you still a horn lover
    JBL i am the biggest fan

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by amadeo
    ......are so old fashion ....you are a dying religeon..guys we live in 2005.......we dont need ....all that "cosmetic" sound......you know i hit a nerve because you see the truth vintage is out ..you guys we only live once so lets live a little ....lets try somthing new ...dont just say no ...try it than make your decision ...i am sure that most of you are into music more than movies so lets be honest....horns are so old fashion ..... most expensive loud speakers
    are with tweeters some with more than a dozen
    horns....

http://www.avguide.com/product/Speakers/main_

I also use a UREI 1620 for my PreAmp.... just call me old fashioned

BTW -- I did try out numerious preamp/mixers from RANE, Vestax, Elcer, Pioneer, Dennon, Redsound, among others -- everything from vintage to brand new digital units -- I like the tone of the older, high end gear........

any way you get my meaning tell me now are you still a horn lover
    I trust you have a clean towel nearby?

We don't kiss our Vaders....

[Not to worry. Puberty will pass....]

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    I trust you have a clean towel nearby?

We don't kiss our Vaders....

[Not to worry. Puberty will pass....]
    hahahahha who are you kidding i know all of you kiss your speakers ....if you dont you should ....they love it ...

any way my TIK's (vaders) are like a young paris hilton

i am afraid with what or whom you might compare your HORNS too....(yikes scary thought)
    JBL i am the biggest fan

wowow didnot meen to offend any one ....you guys just speaking my mind
    we're just joking and having fun .... or at least I think we are

by the way, now that you've trashed horns on this site you have to pay a duty of $20.

and yes, I'm a horn lover, I admit it, I've gone to therapy for years trying to undo this, but to not avail. I'm hooked.... but then again I've lost 60% of hearing in my right ear and can't hear out the left ear.

Yeah, well, inane drivel is easily recognized here.

[You'll need more than one towel, looks like....]

[QUOTE=JBLnsince1959]we're just joking and having fun .... or at least I think we are

of course we are .......i love all jbl speakers horns or not they are in my vains i could not think of my life without jbl speakers in them from the xti 80 (my previus model) to my vaders and beyond...dont know what jbl future has instore for us...but i hope MR.dan Ashcraft doesnt visit this forum ...i am afraid he would be influenced by all the horn lovers and might make the whole jbl future with horns....
    JBL i am the biggest fan

that's nothing, my 4430's look like Dolly Parton

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    that's nothing, my 4430's look like Dolly Parton
    what big boobs....do you kiss them
    JBL i am the biggest fan

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Yeah, well, drivel is easily recognized here.

[You'll need more than one towel, looks like....]
    I don't kiss my speakers, but I have admitted smelling and gently stroking the PT800s, and also to shoving my arm deep into the port of L300s and an SVA1800 a couple of times. (Do a search if you need to know.)

And now I'll admit I also took a Bi-Radial horn, put my lips around its orifice, and blew it when I was replacing the soft dome tweeter.
    Out.

Thread Information