Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: HORNS VS TWEETER

ok guys got to go ....were just joking around ......yes ......well see you ...........will talk to you again .......when i have finaly finished my whole setup witch will cost me roughly another 10,000$ until october......stay alive

any way i realy did enjoy all of you and nice to meet you all
    good listening......and death to horns ...(just kidding ) ...
    this is the best forum i have ever visited
    of course it is its JBL forum and you know how i love JBL
    bye see you in a month...i will miss you
    JBL i am the biggest fan

Steve Gonzales

Hope so

Hey Amadeo, I can't remember the last time there was a war with no blood shed!, you've started a thread that although has very polarized opinions, nobody got rude/nasty and it was alot of fun. Take care and good luck, Steve G

Amadeo:

I hope you're not leaving. It's been fun with this thread ( and yes, horns are big here, but so are tweeters, they just won't admit it - ha) and was looking forward to seeing you on threads.

take care

Arrow And on that note...

We all have our favorites for sure, but I think a majority of us wouldn't kick any JBL out on a cold night, even the lowliest of the low, horn or tweeter.

Plus, if I look really hard at a Performance Series PT800 or PC600 tweeter, I've got to admit there's homage to the great horns of the past in the World's Smallest Horn®, the EOS Waveguide®.

Hey horn lovers: look! It's the World's Smallest Horn®, and it's playiing just for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by amadeo
    by the way JBLSINCE1959....your avatar in it you have a pic of a german shepard....is that yours ....you probably told other the story of your dog ...i would love to know.......i once had a GS (alex) and we had to put her down sadest day of my life ...she got to old ....

well i hope your dog lives a long and happy life

Amadeo:

OK, about my german shepherd, her name is Whitney and we call her Whit ( I posted this somewhere before but it's easier to write again rather than find it) and she is around 51/2 years old. She stays with me almost 100% of the time day and night and she's my baby now. She weights about 107 Lbs and is on a diet to get down to 100lbs.

she has bad hips so we don't know how long we will have her, I'm hoping til she's 12 ( pray). here's some pictures of her and me....( Ok, OK so I'm showing off my baby)

ok my darlings ....
    i have to go on a 45 day bussiness trip to malaysia
    so i cannot post regularly if ever very busy

any way didnt want to leave with out saying good bye that would be rude of me
    and to leave u with a little somthing to remember me by....(she realy loves her tiks)

ps :jblsince1995...loved your gs pics
    these are espesialy dedicated for you and titaniumdome ...good listening.....
    JBL i am the biggest fan

Figge
    come on ...what a turn off ......you must see it comming.... the end of horns ...just look at all the latest products of jbl .........
    go to www.jbl.com and see the products ...more and more speakers are comming with tweeters than horns ...do you know why ...ill tell you because the people at jbl see the truth ..the truth that is that horns are nothing but a speaker with ears .....or tell me whats stopping them ....it wont cost them that much more to put horns on all their speakers (if they were that good than ...most jbl speakers will be with horns.....hell all speaker brands would be with horns if they were that good....
    your telling me that all companies do not want profit or they just dont want thier speakers too sound good ....common guys give us a break and sighn just post your name and a big NO to horns...we will only quicken the process thats all ..i told you guys you (horn lovers ) are a dying religion you wont last
    u mean all speakers are going to have those whimpy dome tweeters?

nice lady btw....

pangea

Why horns are out

I think the most likely reasons for not using horns anymore are:

1. They cost more
    2. It takes a lot more to make a time aligned x-over
    3. The common missconseptions that horns are no good.

BR
    Roland
    Last edited by pangea; 06-04-2005 at 04:07 AM. Reason: add

ok my darlings ....
    i have to go on a 45 day bussiness trip to malaysia
    so i cannot post regularly if ever very busy

any way didnt want to leave with out saying good bye that would be rude of me
    and to leave u with a little somthing to remember me by....(she realy loves her tiks)

Oh, Ok. At first it sounded like you were upset and leaving the forum and I thought - "Damn - Lost another one to Ditech" ( it's a commerical here in the states - you may not get the joke)

anyway, thanks for the heads up and wish you a safe trip. see you when you get back.

BTW...thanks for the pictures...they picked me up.

Maron Horonzakz
    Next month Ill see you at HIGH NOON. Do not forsake me oh my darlin.

(she realy loves her tiks)
    yeah...and I really love her T*ts....

Quote Originally Posted by pangea
    I think the most likely reasons for not using horns anymore are:

1. They cost more
    2. It takes a lot more to make a time aligned x-over
    3. The common missconseptions that horns are no good.

BR
    Roland

For some reason I kept reading #3 as "The common misconception that horns are good." I thought it meant as people realize what an artificial boost horns give to natural sound their tastes will slowly move away from them.

Now that I'm reading it the way pangea wrote it, I still agree with 1 and 2.
    Out.

amadeo

If you're already gone, it'll be a long time before you read this. It will mean I've already been abandoned to fight on alone.

I hate to bring this up, but Paris Hilton is more like a horn. There's a lot of artificial sculpting and added boost there to make something have more pizazz than it really has, and once people get used to the artificial image of fake beauty, they get addicted to it: abnormal peaks and valleys, deceptive curves, false brightness, and artificial extensions.

Enjoy your trip.
    Out.

Wink cleaner sound

man i find horns in general have alot less distortion in them
    especially if you are listening to old vinal or somthing of that nature
    i find tweeter speakers have much more scratchiness i had 1 set that tryed to blame it on the mids
    now a dedicated horn fan 4ever
    i bought my 1st set of horns off ebay in aus here because we dont get as much jbl eqiptment dumped on ebay i had to settle for an old pair with no brand name on em just a serial number
    but as a recent convert who has never owned a set in 22 years of listening. i am sold in their home hifi applications
    i got the best sound i ever had in my life with horns
    awsome i owe people and web sites like this so much for a bit of knowledge that is hard to get if u a backward islander stuck on the other side of the world

pangea

Horns or not

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    For some reason I kept reading #3 as "The common misconception that horns are good." I thought it meant as people realize what an artificial boost horns give to natural sound their tastes will slowly move away from them.

Now that I'm reading it the way pangea wrote it, I still agree with 1 and 2.
    Hmm, I don't think I got the notifications, or I just missed them, anyway, IME there are horns and there are horns.

Some horns, when crossed over, below, at, or near their rated usefulness, I totally agree, they can sound bad, with added coloration and all kinds of problems.
    Other cheap horns can sound bad all together, regardless the freq.

In my previous post, I realize, that I should have written:
    3. The common misconceptions that all horns sound bad.

Because there are horns and there are horns.
    Horns, like for instance the Bruce Edgar tractrix curve, which IME, for some reason sounds as transparent as can be and THEREFORE there is no turning back.

BR
    Roland

Thread Information