Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: HORNS VS TWEETER

by the way JBLSINCE1959....your avatar in it you have a pic of a german shepard....is that yours ....you probably told other the story of your dog ...i would love to know.......i once had a GS (alex) and we had to put her down sadest day of my life ...she got to old ....

well i hope your dog lives a long and happy life
    JBL i am the biggest fan

I have done a comparison between the XPL-200A and 4344 clones that I built. The Titanium midrange and tweeter in the XPL-200 have nothing to be ashamed of. They held there own and did a very good job. They can't keep up with the SPL's of the compression drivers but they were much better as far as dynamics than I expected. I guess that should not be a surprise as the XPL-200's were designed to have minimal power compression. Not all dome systems will be designed with this as a key factor but it is possible to have a dome system that does a credible job is this horn dominated domain. Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  

"...thanks man ...(i wish i thaught of that nick by the way )what is it ...whats so special about them horns ...i have heard the sva ...i have heard the retarded KLIPSCH wich is beter sounding then the SVA .."amadeo

I think it is simple, you have a discerning ear and have yet to hear a good horn system. I love good horn systems, and good conventional dynamic radiator systems... it is easier to produce a passable design using a dome tweeter than it is with most other solutions and hence the preponderance of them.

I have built many systems using horns and direct radiators... I have had successes and failures with both. In my experimenting with horns I have found many more horns that I dislike than those I do like. Most horn systems can be improved with some external EQ... most audiophiles are afraid of EQ.... they have experienced the 10 band Audio Control junk and have moved on, but most of the horn lovers that I know do implement some form of EQ to tame the peaks associated with so many horns. Unfortunately along with greatly improved dynamics (not just the ability to play loudly), horns tend to reduce the inherent linearity of the device they are coupling to the air. The better horns give you a well controlled polar pattern, increased dynamics, and affect the driver's inherent linearity the least.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by amadeo
    nice rig by the way needs two things
    first a big ass tv.....
    I don't have the room ....
    second pick your gear off the floor
    that picture was taken abut 21/2 years ago. The reason everything is on the floor is that I'm constantly trying new things ( pre-amps, amps, active crossovers, speakers wires, cables, power cords, equalizers etc) and having everything in a big old racks is a pain in the ass when your changing speaker wire, cables, amps etc . In this picture I had ( you can't see all of it) over 12 amps( 10 mono), three pre-amps, active crossovers,and 2 audio control C-131 equalizers, ( I was testing as much as anything). Trying to track all of that and have them in racks is impossible.

this is my play room or my lab ( it was not my main listening room ) where I try everything. also not seen are 2206's 2202's 2204's E145's, 2123's etc, and a whole lot of other gear that I was playing with.

The reason this picture was taken as it is, was when I first came to this site I mentioned my C-35's and Bo asked for pictures and this is what the room looked like at the time. This room is MY room ( it's all she gives me), the rest of the house is very nicely done. and of course we're talking about horns so I just threw this in. This is not how the room looks today

what can I say - but boys and their toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    "...thanks man ...(i wish i thaught of that nick by the way )what is it ...whats so special about them horns ...i have heard the sva ...i have heard the retarded KLIPSCH wich is beter sounding then the SVA .."amadeo

I think it is simple, you have a discerning ear and have yet to hear a good horn system. I love good horn systems, and good conventional dynamic radiator systems... it is easier to produce a passable design using a dome tweeter than it is with most other solutions and hence the preponderance of them.

I have built many systems using horns and direct radiators... I have had successes and failures with both. In my experimenting with horns I have found many more horns that I dislike than those I do like. Most horn systems can be improved with some external EQ... most audiophiles are afraid of EQ.... they have experienced the 10 band Audio Control junk and have moved on, but most of the horn lovers that I know do implement some form of EQ to tame the peaks associated with so many horns. Unfortunately along with greatly improved dynamics (not just the ability to play loudly), horns tend to reduce the inherent linearity of the device they are coupling to the air. The better horns give you a well controlled polar pattern, increased dynamics, and affect the driver's inherent linearity the least.

Widget
    very well put Widget...that hits the nail on the head...

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    I don't have the room ....

The reason everything is on the floor is that I'm constantly trying new things (Trying to track all of that and have them in racks is impossible.

this is my play room or my lab ( it was not my main listening room ) where I try everything. also not seen are 2206's 2202's 2204's E145's, 2123's etc, and a whole lot of other gear that I was playing with.
    what can I say - but boys and their toys.
    nice point...........i know exactly were you are comming, from i too like too figit alot with the wiring with the cables and gear ..and true enough the racks do make it a liitle hard and a little dangerous, how many times an amp was going to fall ...only thank god i cought it just in time .....and not talking about the back aches wich com with me truing to get to the back of my gear....

you know what i am going to put all my gear on the floor too
    JBL i am the biggest fan

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    I have done a comparison between the XPL-200A and 4344 clones that I built.
    your very lucky to own a xpl 200 ....i have seen many reviews that always give it a 5 star rating ...i know you love it dont you ....come on you can tell us ...deep down i know you love it more than your 4344 clones ....

even if thier is always a special something when you build your own speaker..it leaves a very special mark in your history ...of accomplishment ....

but still i bet u just adore your xpl 200....
    JBL i am the biggest fan

who is the CEO of JBL or harmon.co....
    i am going to email him the largest letter describing to him and attaching as much reports as i can ...i am going to tell him that from now on he should only make tweeter array speakers...and to never touch a horn ....or even think of placing one on any speaker they will desighn for the future all i need now is all your signatures to send to him......come on guys ....whos with me?
    JBL i am the biggest fan

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"

yeah I see THAT happening

who is the CEO of JBL or harmon.co....
    i am going to email him the largest letter describing to him and attaching as much reports as i can ...i am going to tell him that from now on he should only make tweeter array speakers...and to never touch a horn ....or even think of placing one on any speaker they will desighn for the future all i need now is all your signatures to send to him......come on guys ....whos with me?
    I thought you liked JBL... why would you want to steer them down that dark alley... they seem quite capable of making stupid decisions on there own...

Widget

Seriously... tweeter arrays like those you linked previously, the McIntosh system from the 80's, the Infinity IRS... they all sound screwy to me... They obviously have an appeal to some or they wouldn't still be around, but for the types of music I listen to they all have sounded rather unnatural.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv

yeah I see THAT happening
    come on ...what a turn off ......you must see it comming.... the end of horns ...just look at all the latest products of jbl .........
    go to www.jbl.com and see the products ...more and more speakers are comming with tweeters than horns ...do you know why ...ill tell you because the people at jbl see the truth ..the truth that is that horns are nothing but a speaker with ears .....or tell me whats stopping them ....it wont cost them that much more to put horns on all their speakers (if they were that good than ...most jbl speakers will be with horns.....hell all speaker brands would be with horns if they were that good....
    your telling me that all companies do not want profit or they just dont want thier speakers too sound good ....common guys give us a break and sighn just post your name and a big NO to horns...we will only quicken the process thats all ..i told you guys you (horn lovers ) are a dying religion you wont last
    JBL i am the biggest fan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Seriously... tweeter arrays like those you linked previously, the McIntosh system from the 80's, the Infinity IRS... they all sound screwy to me... They obviously have an appeal to some or they wouldn't still be around, but for the types of music I listen to they all have sounded rather unnatural.

Widget
    10-4....

Amadeo....leave this alone

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    10-4....

Amadeo....leave this alone
    this posts title is HORNS VS TWEETERS
    so in this post all will discuss their point of view of why should speakers have horns or why should they have tweeters ....
    and i must make them see my point of view ....and hopefully just discussing this issue or any issue ...just bringing it up ...makes people think ..and a single thought is the start of everything beutiful in this world......just remember mr. bell and his thought of speakers
    JBL i am the biggest fan

more and more speakers are comming [sic] with tweeters than horns ...do you know why ...
    Sure. They're only suited to PROFESSIONAL use, and the very highest end of JBL consumer offerings, because it's quite expensive to build good horns and compression drivers into designs.

Perhaps you would have been just as happy with a "Creature II" system. You could have saved yourself a lot of money and had a pair of crab tweeters (one for each,) AND a TRUE Vader subwoofer to kiss in the bargain.

[And a couple of handles to grab onto it by, too! ]

Next time, ask here first. Knowing what we know now, we could have given you appropriate guidance in making a discerning selection....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information