Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Giskard "former member?"

Quote Originally Posted by R Beardsley
    HUH? Is that you Mr. Asimov?
    he's gone now I believe......Mr. Asimov that is

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    This is really sad...

Well, tonight I will toast a drink to a very uncommon gentleman who went by the handle of "Giskard". I know he has won my respect and admiration, not only for his brilliant knowlege but for what he gave so many on this forum. We are not likely to see his kind again.

So Giskard whatever you are..... I wish you the best..even if that means you are no longer on the forum. Hopefully we will all respect his wishes should he need some time off or time to reflect.

and last.....thank you for all you did.

( by the way....who was he?)
    I will be doing the same, and wish to also express my gratitude to Giskard, amongst others, for making this a place where we could all learn so much...

Unhappy

Call me stupid but I do not get it.

What was the problem? The destroying of the DX-1's through JBL?

But this is not our fault, is it?

Steve Gonzales

Valued Member

Giskard, you and I have had our differences but we worked it out. I must admit that I have enjoyed our conversations on the phone. You know that I too, wanted to call it quits and I recall that even in that troubled time, you still encouraged me to stay and I appreciate that. I now encourage you to do the same. This Forum NEEDS your immense WORKING Knowledge of our beloved JBL products. I realize that you have an unusual "dry wit" and sometimes it comes across as rude to me, but hey, life goes on, I'm a grown man and I would rather see you dust yourself off and continue to be a contributor here where you belong, than to have a bad experience in the end. Take your time, you've got friends here that would definately miss you. You are a very Valuable Member, don't throw that away . Take Care Sir, and I hope to see you back helping people here on the LHS, Steve Gonzales

As simply as I can put it... the man behind the JBL mask known as 'Giskard' embodies all that is "real" about everything we imagine the Lansing legacy to be.

It is a sad day when the collective agony can destroy someone's passion to such a degree.

I too have be righted when headed down the wrong path.... and as many here have shown, with the highest respect, I toast a note of gratitude.

Being selfless is much harder than being faceless...

Cheers to our much-valued stray comrade.

I thought "former member" was some GISKARD wit. Although I don't know the man personally, I would certainly miss both his wit and the huge contribution he makes here. He has been very generous with his time and help where I am concerned even though I am fairly new around here.
    R Beardsley (BEAR)

Revenu quand la joie retourne.

In other forums that I frequent, I often encounter contributors that squeeze the joy out of something by being opinionated, crusty, offensive, dogmatic, critical, condescending, and demanding. Bullies will be bullies whether they be in person or online. I like to tweak the nose of the bully, but since the purpose of my involvement in any forum is first enjoyment (through camaraderie and respect in a shared interest) and second enlightenment (through the sharing of knowledge and experience), I soon tire of the bully and move on.

In the Internet Age, the bully sometimes is not a person, but a dynamic that builds between an individual (or a small group of individuals) and the expectation of the community as a whole for that individual. There's a fine line between being willingly accommodating to the needs of the group and feeling oneself being exploited and whored.

Most of us are tough enough that a single incident isn't going to drive us out. One smart ass comment, OR one ignorant mistake OR one instance of exploitation by the idly curious OR one major boner by a warehouseman OR one attempt on our part to go the extra mile for someone who isn't going to listen, OR one...whatever, won't do any of us in, but to have the burden to see/feel/hear this often AND be a good f**king sport all the time AND put your rep on the line with a large multinational company that's showing you an extended professional courtesy, well that might get to you.

That might just suck the joy right out of it.
    Out.

Give Giskard some time......

I doubt we have seen the last of him! (I'm hoping so at least)

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    Aptly put, Earl.

Too many come out here with their egos tied to quick acceptance on an Internet forum. When they faced Giskard's dry wit, and pure uncaring when they decide to go a direction not supported by available engineering or ample experience, they lash out at him and challenge his credibility, truthfulness, honesty and person. They bit the hand that would readily feed them.

Members and particularly new members would be unaware and not appreciate Giskard's been in this business a very very long time and he's seen it all.

He's a technical guy and with that tenure of technical stature he's not in the business of being scrutinized, challenged and at worst having his sincerity undermined particularly in this kind of environment.

On the other hand technical people tend to understand less of themselves and of the relationships they have with others for their world is what they are. Hence we see these occasional ruptures when the tension between their world and reality bites.

However over time we all tend to grow and take on a wider appreciation of others and the world we live in.

I think Giskard will return after a time when he grows bored and his wife tells him he's a pain in the ass.

Ian

He has a wife?

And here I thought his wife was JBL!

Well, my gratitude to him. Though I don't post often, I have read a great many of his posts, and have been extremely fortunate for the opportunity. It would be gross understatement to say I've learned a lot from him. Here's to hoping he'll get over it and get back here to help us mere mortals!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    I think Giskard will return after a time when he grows bored and his wife tells him he's a pain in the ass.
    Regrettably, I don't agree. We know full-well, his wife has never been the problem.

Collectively, we have.

I am not needing nor trying to be fatalistic - nor to create a martyr. IMO, Giskard has contributed too very much, and we have often innocently wasted his knowledge and most importantly (or tragically...) his generosity. As newer converts come in, this neediness by-definition becomes redundant. But, by being an acutely interested acoustical engineer, Giskard simply could not sit idly by, and tried to help all.

At the end of the day, there is only so-much that can be contributed "new" - it becomes an involvement of diminishing returns. Regardless, the endeavor needs remain rewarding and fulfilling.

The mis-perception of his persona and increasing attacks to his credibility took that away. Who can argue?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Figge
    what? Giskard left us here?

what have i missed? he´s last post as i can see was about some 185 dx-1 destroyd in singapore? it dont make sense...

is this somehow confirmed or is it just speculations? if he has in fact took of i will shure as hell miss him, and his jbl knowlage! he probably know more about jbls than the rest of us put together...he aint leaving, he´ll be back by the end of the week.

Regards Fredrik

Regis

Line em up.

I understand that many of you want to line up behind your friend, it's basic human nature. My nature is that I have the freedom to not put absolute trust in anyone and if my inquiries are ignored then a private message with a firmer tone is called for. No personal insults were directed, nor were there any expletives or threats. In fact, because I was previously warned months ago of the sometimes malicious nature of the individual I was dealing with and his propensity for doing, just what he did Friday afternoon, I deliberately was careful in my emails (not PM's, mind you, Emails) and the response was to throw it on the board. The part that wasn't expected, was that it backfired, because this individual as you might remember repeatedly wanted the very thread that he started killed.

My friend Steve Gonzalez put in a very level-headed post last night that got pulled (but the funeral thread about 'former member' goes on), so there's a unfair slant. During this whole unfortunate affair, not one moderator, nor Don McRitchie in fact, no one, ever PM'd me or contacted me and said, "Regis, you were wrong in inquiring". I have not been kicked off the site and can still log in and post. I have no beef with the individual, but because of the decidedly (and IMHO) unfair political atmosphere here, I am stepping away from this site. No martyrdom here. It's been a pleasure dealing with many of you and sharing the stories. I hope Giskard comes back as well, as his knowledge is valuable and he's helped me out as well. Maybe he's learned something from all of this as well, I sure did. Have a good one. This portion of the thread will probably self-destruct.

Sincerely,

Regis

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"

It's a shame to see.....

kinda sucks to see drama dragging everything down......

I am NOT taking sides......

and I wish the best to BOTH "members" in everything.....

PS -- I saw the thread last night... didn't seem anything earth-shattering.....

hopefully the and can eventually lead to but

Steve Gonzales

Not earth shattering, JUST FAIR

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K
    Hi

I believe that about sums it up / though / I see the abuse as quite real.

I do hope that he is able to think through this / solve the riddles of such immersed involvement / and then re-establish a balance that will work more for his benefit .

Abuse!?, come on fellas. I was trying to promote a call for FAIRNESS for BOTH Members. Regis is being made out to be some kind of bad guy, "the cause". I wish both members the best, I think that is clear, BOTH members, not just one. They both deserve understanding. There seems to be a vague and vailed reference to Regis having "attacked" Giskard and I don't like the way that puts all the blame on Regis. Get real, this matter should have stayed in the "private domain"- between the two men. I think it was a bad move to post the personal email on a public forum. That is what started this crap. I know I could handle this with a simple message to another member, like, "Hey, I've been busy and JBL parts are very hit and miss as to their exact delivery date, hang in there, I'll keep you posted, Regards, XXXXXX- EASY!!!!. So that leaves us to try and figure out this mess-by design- not chance. Come on you two, you're both Good Guys , knock it off and shake hands and let's get back to business as usual, okay?

Thread Information