Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On a lighter note...(2123J-b test box)

Huh, looks like someone forgot they weren't loading the cone into an early style basket. Lots of the early 10" variants (LE10A, etc) had the terminals coming out of one of the basket ribs... so that would have been the appropriate location for the lead feed-outs in that case...

Regards,
    Gordon.
    having almost done the same thing myself reconing a driver...

New 10" Basket Style

Hi

The 2012 - the "Pro" divisions successor to the 2123 - has a basket that uses one of the 4 ribs to hold the terminals. Kellys' 2123j might have been a transitional product - a migration from the older basket style to the newer .

re; "B" models at the tent sale - my take is that these are all speakers that for one or another reasons, don't meet JBLs' QC standards. Some of those standards can be implemented "on the line" with simple Fs and Re tests. A few years back I bought a load of 2123h drivers from an earlier non-public "tent sale". Most of these 2123h mids have Fs figures that are about 10hz lower than the specified 75 hz .

regards <> Earl K

luxmanlover

"B" stock

The 2123J-B's I recieved had JBL QC control tags on them so I would hope they meet spec. This could be a chance to give measuring ts specs a shoot for the first time and find out.
    Kelly

Just did a quick check of Re ...8.4 ohms...a touch lower than spec but my meter might be off too. 8.7 is spec ?????? 16 ohm rating ....don't get it!
    Last edited by luxmanlover; 08-15-2003 at 06:33 AM.

luxmanlover

Forgot Pic

A photogragh
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Obsolete
    8.4 ohms DCR is well within the tolerance for a 2123J. Yes, the median DCR is spec'd at 8.7 ohms + or - 10%.

The style of basket does vary. Like others have posted, early LE10 and LE14 frames mounted the terminals on one of the ribs, which we refer to as being at 45 degrees. Later frames had a special mounting flange so the terminals could be mounted straight down, which we refer to as being at 90 degrees (I suppose 270 is technically correct but whatever...). When JBL replaced the metal push terminals with plastic push terminals, many of the transducers went back to 45 degrees.

At one point B stock did mean that it either didn't pass QC (usually for cosmetic reasons) or that it was a return. The 2245H's from the tent sale a few years back were definitely out of QC spec electrically and I had numerous discussions about that. Suffice it to say, those particular transducers in the typical 8 to 10 cubic foot enclosure tuned to the usual 25 to 30 Hz WILL perform as expected.

Thread Information