Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: now this makes me sad....

Figge

now this makes me sad....

it makes me a little sad inside when i see this...once the great name of altec & Lansing, and this is what it has become?, Not worth more than this? where is the respect? it should be ilegal to use such great names on such crap! damn now i have to go listen to some blues. (hopefully i will never have to do just that with the Altec Lansing ACS45)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Steve Gonzales

Me too

Absolutely NO resemblence to the Mighty Model 19's or A7 series, SAD...

Jeez! Is that an air purifier or a portable compressor?

What an insult to the legacy!
    Out.

Air compressor

1. Small air compressor with two air filters on top.It works great for blowing the dust off the tops of my L300's.I believe there is a sale going on right now @ wall mart $9.95 buy two and get the third one free. Or something like that.

Figge
    hmm...ACS45=air compressor system 45? ok now it starting to make sense

Charley Rummel
    The once mighty Altec brand name has succumbed to brand management for the last several years (ask your local MBA about the concept). Like so many others before, and not just in consumer audio. I really find it heartbreaking to walk into a Circuit City or Best Buy, or the like, and see brand names plastered all over the Asian crap they carry, which is most likely manufactured by a small hanfull of producers for overlabeling by OEM's, that once upon a time meant quality and performance. (i.e. Jensen may as well be Chen Tzen; Altec may as well be Hol Tcheck, etc.)

Charley Rummel

Tom Loizeaux
    This just makes the prestige companies that hold on to their legacy by continuing to make quality products only that much more prized.
    Hats off to JBL for continuing to persue the highest standards in their speakers and systems. Yes, they make computer and car speakers, but they still put a lot of effort to stay in the lead in serious audio.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Loizeaux
    This just makes the prestige companies that hold on to their legacy by continuing to make quality products only that much more prized.
    Hats off to JBL for continuing to persue the highest standards in their speakers and systems. Yes, they make computer and car speakers, but they still put a lot of effort to stay in the lead in serious audio.

Tom
    Isn't car audio serious? Well, then again I'm going to refoam an 8.00 pair of 6X9 Jensen Triaxials, used to run 1980s Sparkomatics my brother gave me 15 years ago, and I prefer Delco

Spelled O E M

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by Figge
    it makes me a little sad inside when i see this...once the great name of altec & Lansing, and this is what it has become?, Not worth more than this? where is the respect? it should be ilegal to use such great names on such crap! damn now i have to go listen to some blues. (hopefully i will never have to do just that with the Altec Lansing ACS45)
    I totally agree!!!

Those in charge, should really be ashamed, dragging the name in the dirt like this. I've seen similar examples though, of bad taste and judgement on PC-speakers with the JBL badges on them as well. Same bad taste/judgment along with the same kind of greedy busines trends.

But then again, I guess this is what you get, when people who will do anything for a dollar, are at the helm and when everything in this world is just about money and power.

BR
    Roland

EDIT: Wasn't there a dispute already at the beginning, between the Lansing brothers, on what to produce and how much quality that should be built in to the products?
    Wasn't that what made them split the company, James B. wanting to build high quality speakers only and Altec wanting to build "cheaper" stuff, as well as toasters and other stuff?

Companies are born, live (hopefully for several decades) and die. When the end of this cycle is reached, one of the last remaining assets to be liquidated is the company name. It is often quite valuable if the company has built a strong brand recognition and reputation for quality with the public. Once the name has been sold, the new owner is free to plaster it on anything he wishes... usually junk. This is all regrettable of course, but it is part of the business life cycle.

As a piano technician, I have watched with disgust as many of the finest names from the golden era of the American piano industry (1880-1930) have been applied over the past few decades to horrendous little cheaply built pianos. More recently these inferior goods arrive from distant shores, as the American piano industry is all but gone now. Notice any parallels to the audio industry? Sign of the times I guess.

Pangea:

I know what you mean, but I think a company like JBL has to make those crappy speakers (maybe less crappy than some of the competition) for a couple of reasons. I'll simply concede that one reason is to suck some money out of a market that they'd otherwise not get any revenue out of.

The second reason, though, is one I can accept, even embrace. This is the mindshare/marketing part of the equation, where a company has to get its mass produced stuff out there to keep its brand viable in the marketplace.

Bose does this very well, getting its junk into computer speakers, multimedia equipment, cars, museums, etc., in a successful effort to get people to think Bose=speakers. JBL does the same: computers, multimedia equipment, cars, etc., so people think JBL=speakers. If people at the bottom of the economic purchasing food chain aren't biting, many of them won't bite on the way up.

One could point to other manufacturers that don't do this, but they tend to end up as boutique brands or niche marketers and not multinational companies like Harman/JBL.
    Out.

Unhappy Confessional

Okay, I'll come clean and say I bought a JBL Creature II speaker set for my desk at work so I can hook it to my PowerBook and play iTunes through the speakers. I listen to dance/trance/electronica all day long, and it sounds sweet.

Classic JBL? No. But it fits into my "JBL Everywhere" plan for world speaker domination, and it gives me a chance to talk up real JBLs when people inquire about them.

"You like these? You should come over and hear my..." and away we go!
    Out.

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Okay, I'll come clean and say I bought a JBL Creature II speaker set for my desk at work so I can hook it to my PowerBook and play iTunes through the speakers. I listen to dance/trance/electronica all day long, and it sounds sweet.

Classic JBL? No. But it fits into my "JBL Everywhere" plan for world speaker domination, and it gives me a chance to talk up real JBLs when people inquire about them.

"You like these? You should come over and hear my..." and away we go!

Hey, I'm not the priest!

But still, the market and the world is littered with A LOT OF (more or less) USELESS CRAP.

Perhaps if we didn't use so much of our recourses on buying all this garbage, then maybe we might be able to get what we really want/need, i.e. things that last, instead of buying in to the notion that it is inevitable, to build stuff that is meant to brake down as soon as the warranty runs out, so that we have to buy the "improved" version next year... and the next year....

I hate that!

Ooooops perhaps this is going a bit OT.

BR
    Roland

Arrow Altec Lansing A7

At least the A7 is still available and made in the US. There are a couple of lesser "real" Altecs, too.

http://www.alteclansing.com/legacy/specs.asp
    Out.

GarMan
    Altec isn't the only victim.

Have you seen what happened to the Dynaco brand?

Thread Information