Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recover your own grills

Steve Gonzales

This is what you get when you take your time to manipulate the material so that the "dogear" waste is stretched and can be trimmed ABOVE the wrapped corners

Steve Gonzales

For the remaining sides,I then use the same method of 6 inch sections at a time to get to the other end, EXCEPT, I STOP 6 inches BEFORE reaching the other end, THEN do the 45 degree mitred corner, AND THEN do the last 6" of that side. The Final side is done in the SAME sequence EXCEPT this is when you'll have to stretch the final side taunt and glue and press. Don't over stretch!. It doesn't take a lot of pulling to get a good result, light to medium, you'll see, if you pull too hard, you will DISTORT the frame and it won't fit (ask me how I know!). I can only give you the mechanics of the process, you will have to "get a feel" for the material and how it stretches.

Steve Gonzales

To trim the waste off, I use an Olfa knife and my handy block of wood as a straight edge, you know what to do.

Steve Gonzales

This is a completed grill after trimming the waste. If you have a grill that has an emblem that attaches without benefit of an actual hole in the grillframe itself, take a piece of paper with a clean 90 degree corner and tape it to the 90 degree corner of the grill, locate the original hole and punch the hole in it before you tear off the old cloth, and then to reattach the emblem, tape the template you made, then push a pencil point through it to locate the emblem after you've recovered the grill.

Steve Gonzales

See how taunt the cloth is?, it didn't take a come-along to stretch it and you don't need one either!. . Visualize what you're doing before hand. Think. Say to yourself, "I'm just stretching some cloth over a frame". I hope this gives you a clear idea of how it's done.

Steve Gonzales

Finished product. Looking good in JBL Monitor Blue!!. Hey if you need more than this thread provides, send me a PM, I'll be glad to help. Thanks for looking, Steve G

BTW, it took 30 minutes to complete this!!! DONE. It took alot longer to post this new thread!

Steve ,

Thanks for the explanation.

I have the cloth but no actual grills so I am looking for a picture from anyone who owns 4343 or 4345s so I can glean how they were made.

Any pictures much appreciated

Ian

I believe there were Links here, to an offsite website. This is what happens when those Links expire or access is changed. POS.

Post pictures, people.

And Ian - I'll post some pics with dimensions of the 4345 grills. Gimme a little bit to get it done...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam

I believe there were Links here, to an offsite website. This is what happens when those Links expire or access is changed. POS.

Post pictures, people.

And Ian - I'll post some pics with dimensions of the 4345 grills. Gimme a little bit to get it done...
    Thanks mate.

regards

Ian

Tom Loizeaux
    I think Steve thought he was posting photos with his dialogue. Maybe someone call help him get the photos up.

Tom

Thread Information