Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JBL SA600 integrated amplifier

fredmarantz
    hi!

thanks a lot for your response. In the meantime I have got another one - so it's now two!! yeah....
    They are very nice amps and looks darn good - I think.
    I see that you're from Sri Lanka?

Kind regards
    Freddy

Question JBL SA 600 - Need help

Hello everybody,

I'm new on this forum and perhaps somebody can help me with my problem.

I own a JBL SA 600 - after long time standing in my mothers wardrobe because I was on the road and for other reasons I now want to sell it.

My problem: I do not find the cable anymore, I'm missing the plug connector from the amp to the jack - so I can not run the machine.

A Hifi Dealer told me, these cables for this kind of plug-in with two tongues - sorry I don't know the correct wording - will not be build anymore.

Before I now chance the whole connexion mode - is there a possibility to get (to buy) one of those original cables?

Thanks for help

Quote Originally Posted by GunTher View Post
    Hello everybody,

I'm new on this forum and perhaps somebody can help me with my problem.

I own a JBL SA 600 - after long time standing in my mothers wardrobe because I was on the road and for other reasons I now want to sell it.

My problem: I do not find the cable anymore, I'm missing the plug connector from the amp to the jack - so I can not run the machine.

A Hifi Dealer told me, these cables for this kind of plug-in with two tongues - sorry I don't know the correct wording - will not be build anymore.

Before I now chance the whole connexion mode - is there a possibility to get (to buy) one of those original cables?

Thanks for help
    Post picture of the connector on the Amp and we'll have a better idea of what you mean ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Post picture of the connector on the Amp and we'll have a better idea of what you mean ...
    Good Idea, I will do it asap.

Thanks & greetings
    GunTher

A couple of caveats about the SA600

My father was in the habit of taking away the equipment that was replaced when he upgraded things for his custom audio installation customers. Thus the family acquired an SA600. There are two things to bear in mind with these integrated amplifiers.

One: they are not indestructible. If you really drive them hard and for a long time the output devices will fail, usually the power PNPs. And 40W per channel is easy to clip at high listening levels. This in itself is not destructive, but I know of some of my father's customers hell-bent on high levels that blew up the amps.

Two: beware of the ones that have poisonous Cadmium-plated RCA connectors. As they oxidize and otherwise deteriorate, the common shell contact between the jack and a plug will become high resistance, and the result will be a lot of mains power hum. Be sure to wipe off the oxides and wash your hands, then be sure that the plug shell is a snug fit.

They were pretty decent amps for their day, although superseded now by many others IMO. If you listen at moderate levels and have not-too-demanding loads, and have an antiquarian bent, you may be quite satisfied.

I don't know the reference offhand, but there is a technical article about the power amp portion of the design by the designer, the late great Bart Locanthi, who as mentioned by Hirsch christened it the "T-circuit". It's revealed as being a cascaded complementary emitter follower output stage, although drawn in a somewhat unusual fashion, which apparently failed to convince the US Patent Office

Welcome to Lansing Heritage bcarso!

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Welcome to Lansing Heritage bcarso!

Barry.
    Thanks!

T-Circuit patent

Couldn't let the quip about 'apparently didn't convince the patent office' in post#20 go. Bart Locanthi was awarded U.S. Patent # 3428908A in 1969 for the circuit widely known as the "JBL T-Circuit". It would be best to check facts before making remarks like that.

JBL SA600 sch

Quote Originally Posted by fredmarantz View Post
    Thanks a lot Giskard!

They are very nice scans. I'm gonna read them carefully.

Freddy
    http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Vin...A600~SA660.pdf

Thread Information