Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Audio in Stereophile!

Vintage Audio in Stereophile!

I know that there are plenty of folks around here that have a great disdain for Stereophile... I find the magazine amusing, sometimes down right silly, and actually informative at times.

While thumbing through June's issue, I discovered a review of a 1964 Fisher 500-C. Not a reprint, but a new review of a restored unit. I found it amusing, informative, and refreshing... it certainly flings mud in the eye of those who have accused Stereophile of only reviewing components made by long time advertisers!

In any event, they have decided to run a new series of reviews giving classics a new audition. They are planning on future reviews of Bozak Concert Grands and the original Advent speakers. They are also open to suggestions. We should send them a few hundred requests for some Lansing product. Send suggestions to: [email protected]

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    In any event, they have decided to run a new series of reviews giving classics a new audition. They are planning on future reviews of Bozak Concert Grands and the original Advent speakers. They are also open to suggestions. We should send them a few hundred requests for some Lansing product. Send suggestions to: [email protected]

Widget
    Hmm. Consider one thing, do we need to risk bringing attention to a limited market for vintage equipment to a group of people with too much money to spend on audio equipment into the fray? Good to see some overdue recognition of the product line for sure, but I sense we already see some rather high prices paid for the pieces of particular interest. If the audio "salons" catch the vintage bug, I can see a lot of equipment- not just JBL of course- placed there instead of eBay or the classified, etc. Ever been antique shopping (you want how much for that Victorian-era hair brush?)

DavidF

I see your point, but it is a two edged sword... the price for those pieces in our collections would undoubtedly become more valuable too...

It's still a niche market... I just think it's neat that the main stream is finally catching on. It is also a very "Green" trend. It is far better to keep using these pieces than creating new landfill.

Widget

It is also a very "Green" trend. It is far better to keep using these pieces than creating new landfill.

Widget
    I'm with you there. That is an aspect of the computer world that bothers me. We praise new technology but there is so much obsolescence involved that it encourages this easily disposable attitude. We might soon see this technology pressure in new delivery media for music (iPod the standard or one of many to come). Might push us folks with big boxes, turntables and such into very much smaller niche.

DavidF

RIP 2009
    Personally, I don't know if having glowing reviews of vintage JBL equipment is such a good thing, since most of us are interested in keeping ours rather than selling it. Sure, there's the "feel-good" aspect of being vindicated, (hopefully), in our beliefs, but a great review of somewhat rare equipment would do nothing but raise the price sky-high for those of us here still seriously interested in it. Still, that may be a good thing if we're interested in replacing it with newer stuff... :dont-know

John

Cuts both ways!

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec
    Personally, I don't know if having glowing reviews of vintage JBL equipment is such a good thing, since most of us are interested in keeping ours rather than selling it. Sure, there's the "feel-good" aspect of being vindicated, (hopefully), in our beliefs, but a great review of somewhat rare equipment would do nothing but raise the price sky-high for those of us here still seriously interested in it. Still, that may be a good thing if we're interested in replacing it with newer stuff... :dont-know

John
    Yeah, with reveiws of vintage JBL, the world will know, and prices will soar sky high! BUT, when you want to buy a pair of B & W,s you will also HAVE TO SELL your vintage JBL,s which i feel most of arent really looking to do! We are all "GEAR WHORES" to some degree!

And then, after the novelty of your new gear has worn off, think what its gonna cost you to replace what you had!

scottyj

I don't know if having glowing reviews of vintage JBL equipment is such a good thing...
    I doubt they would be all rave reviews... no speakers are perfect. I personally think it would be interesting. I really doubt that in a world wanting tall narrow smaller speakers like these Josephs, the vintage JBLs will take the market by storm.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images   

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin
    And then, after the novelty of your new gear has worn off, think what its gonna cost you to replace what you had!

John

RIP 2009
    I really doubt that in a world wanting tall narrow smaller speakers like these Josephs, the vintage JBLs will take the market by storm.
    I dunno - 'kinda looks like an XPL200 or L5 wanna-be to me...

John

Maybe, maybe not!

You know, before this forum blew up into a monster forum, JBL prices on Ebay were relatively cheap! Used be junk from the past, now its vintage JBL, from a time when craftsmanship, materials, and sound quality came first!

This forum made JBL prices on Ebay soar, a couple of good reveiws in Stereophool can do the same!

scottyj

'kinda looks like an XPL200 or L5 wanna-be to me...
    I guess you haven't heard them... they'll stomp most anything. They really don't look anything like the JBL Consumer stuff when you see them in person. They are fully K2 quality... and coincidentally, are also at K2 prices.

Widget

I really doubt that in a world wanting tall narrow smaller speakers like these Josephs, the vintage JBLs will take the market by storm.

Widget

For what the Josephs cost....

I guess you haven't heard them... they'll stomp most anything. They really don't look anything like the JBL Consumer stuff when you see them in person. They are fully K2 quality... and coincidentally, are also at K2 prices.

Widget
    They should!

But, even though there are speakers with cleaner, flatter response, I still like the way certain older JBL,s sound!

Conversely, I have heard mega-dollar speakers that I thought werent as good as some older JBL speakers, or just not as all the hype claimed them to be! Wilson Audio didnt bowl me over, and at the prices those things cost, I would think listening to them should be as good, if not better than sex, although sex can be overated too!

scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin
    ...although sex can be overated too!
    Hey Scott,

Are you feeling all right?

Widget

ahem

Hey Scott,

Are you feeling all right?

Widget
    Got your attention, though!