Thread: Edmond May and Marantz

Audiokarma

Edmond May and Marantz

As you may have seen in my previous thread, I recently picked up some HD-77 Marantz from late 70's.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=5945

By coincidence, I was reading the Bio for Ed May where it shows he spent his last years as chief of design for Marantz speakers in late 70's.

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/people/may.htm

I am curious, do any of you have any insight as far as what specific influence Ed May have had in the development of the HD series? It certainly seems logical it was a very direct inflluence but I'd sure like to hear any other thoughts you may have. Thanks!

Ed May & Marantz

Just made a coffee,
    He designed two series for Marantz from memory

HD SERIES
    Normal looking boxes going from a bookshelf to floor standers top model either HD770 or HD880;but what stuck in my memory was a VARI Q removable pot plug.
    DS SERIES 900 numbers
    Beauitful cabinets with rounded corners only floorstanders from memory,the veneer work was A1.
    Again this bloody VARI Q port system,you forgot where you put them or you could never find the stash.
    They both had a really soft dome type Hf,can't say that the components were any where near JBL (wonder who made them? )
    Thats all I can recall
    Michael

I've have few qualms with the speakers from Marantz in that period and the model 6300 TT was a fairly nice unit, but every 2200 and 2300 series receiver I've ever encountered locally at auction was past Medicare's help. I've given my 2238 CPR twice and it flatlined again last February. I'll grab another 500mL ringer and try again this fall. They have IIRC some 80s examples at the bar I sing at, and I enjoy those a lot. I would think that if May had any hand directly or otherwise in those particular speakers, I couldn't complain much.

Audiokarma

HD series

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith
    Just made a coffee,
    He designed two series for Marantz from memory

HD SERIES
    Normal looking boxes going from a bookshelf to floor standers top model either HD770 or HD880;but what stuck in my memory was a VARI Q removable pot plug.
    DS SERIES 900 numbers
    Beauitful cabinets with rounded corners only floorstanders from memory,the veneer work was A1.
    Again this bloody VARI Q port system,you forgot where you put them or you could never find the stash.
    They both had a really soft dome type Hf,can't say that the components were any where near JBL (wonder who made them? )
    Thats all I can recall
    Michael
    Thanks for the info.

Initially, the HD series had two digits, such as HD77 and the top model HD88. They replaced the Imperial line but still retained the foam grills. They were superceded by the 3 digit series such as HD770 and top HD880 which went to even nicer cabinets and cloth grills. Similar driver configuration. Soft dome tweeter and super tweeter. I believe they still had the removable foam plug for the port, as you mentioned. Not sure who made the drivers, although my speaker repair tech had a reference book that said the woofers were made by Oxford. They are in for refoam right now. The woofers do have decent size magnets and I believe a 2" voice coil but are stamped steel, not cast aluminum, like JBL's. Don't recall seeing the DS series...will keep an eye out just so I can see what they look like.

Marantz HD880 woofers

Quote Originally Posted by Audiokarma
    Thanks for the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiokarma

Initially, the HD series had two digits, such as HD77 and the top model HD88. They replaced the Imperial line but still retained the foam grills. They were superceded by the 3 digit series such as HD770 and top HD880 which went to even nicer cabinets and cloth grills. Similar driver configuration. Soft dome tweeter and super tweeter. I believe they still had the removable foam plug for the port, as you mentioned. Not sure who made the drivers, although my speaker repair tech had a reference book that said the woofers were made by Oxford. They are in for refoam right now. The woofers do have decent size magnets and I believe a 2" voice coil but are stamped steel, not cast aluminum, like JBL's. Don't recall seeing the DS series...will keep an eye out just so I can see what they look like.

Marantz HD880s

I have had a pair of HD880s for about 15 years. I traded a 1960s Fender Jaguar for them (a mistake in that that guitar is now worth $3,000 I think). I really like the speakers and they look nice enough that my wife approved them for the living room. I made the mistake of replacing the woofers with generic replacements when the foam surrounds went bad in the originals. I would love to get the specs for those woofers so that I could find a more appropriate replacement. Does the repair tech that told you they were made by oxford (or anyone else of course) know where I can learn more about the original woofers?

Thanks
    Penguin

Thread Information