Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need an opinion

Need an opinion

Just bought a huge,I mean huge Pioneer SX1250 at a garage sale for $25.00,it's not the prettiest thing around,being that it has a few scratches and the paint is coming off the heat sinks,but this thing must weigh 75lbs. It all lights up and it all works and I didn't hear any weird noise or anything. There is also a broke piece of veneer on the side.What's up with this amp? Is this a find, or did I waste my money? This thing is huge compared to my Mac4200,I am looking for a little more power then what I have.It looks like it's from the 70's or so. Look how big those thing-i-ma-giggy's are.There twice as big as the one's in my Mac,I already know what your gonna say,it doesn't sound as good as a Mac, let me know what you think about this beast??
    Attached Images Attached Images      

norealtalent
    Great find!!! 160 wpc and sold for $950 25 years ago. Highly sought after in the Vintage Pioneer market. Very similar to the old Marantz recievers. I had it's little brother,the SX1080, 120 wpc, a few years back. A lot of balls but NO headroom. I'd clean it up and sell it. Between that and your MAC you could finance a really great amp on the used market. Without looking, I'd guess $300-$500, maybe more, on the ebay market this spring. Nice job!
    Last edited by norealtalent; 12-17-2005 at 07:48 PM. Reason: the usual, after 40 years I still can't spell!!!

You asked!

This is what I think about that receiver and the Mac...

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ead.php?t=8131

For $25 that Pioneer is quite a deal...

A few years ago a friend gave me a Pioneer Elite M-90 that was no longer needed... I had high hopes for it as it was a very sexy looking amp with autoformers at the output to mimic a large McIntosh amp... it weighed a ton, it sounded like an average receiver.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just saw Mr. Talent's response... yes, yes, yes!!! Clean it up and sell it and the Mac... then get a great amp!

Widget

Nice find Kingjames. Do you go to the Saturday Audio Exchange in Chicago

Holy Shit Fire

Damn Sam, I just hooked this beast up to my SOV II'S and my 4425's and I couldn't go past 3 on the volume, 3 on this volume was the same as all the way up on my Mac, it might be a little shitty but this thing bumps. I have to me mad giving up a Mac for a Pioneer, but it sounds good to me, and this Mac, I don't think drove my JBL'S to their full potential. My JBL'S sound so good with this $25.00 beast, I just might have to keep it and clean it up. Very satisfied with my find, hell' when you get to be my age anything running JBL'S sound's good!I see Jbl4ever you live in Mchenry IL, I used to live in Crystal lake,IL, I never have gone to that Audio Exchange but maybe I'll get up there one Saturday.

norealtalent
    For what it is, its a killer piece of equipment. For $25 you could feel guilty. SELL, SELL, SELL!!! Take a walk on the wild side, BIGGER, BETTER, BADDER!!!!! Once you go good quality seperates you'll never go back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    ... it sounded like an average receiver.
    My experience with this "level" of consumer gear is it significantly lacks bottom. Damping factor / output impedence sucks.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I have owned a Pioneer 1250 for close to 30 years that powers my L100's and have no complaint. It has worked very well and I have enjoyed the set up(even though it has no headroom what ever that means) but it does have balls. Clean it up if you can get $3-$500 great deal. I am not sure how it would work with other JBL models but I am actively looking to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by pioneer
    I have owned a Pioneer 1250 for close to 30 years that powers my L100's and have no complaint.
    I have used a Kenwood KA3500 (40 watt integrated) virtually continuously for the last 28 years or so myself... no complaints. It literally has been on 24/7 out in my shop for the past 10-12 years... it is nice. It is probably not all that different from your Pioneer, but being smaller it has less...

However, if you want to hear even more from your speakers, and enjoy them even more... a better amp really will make a difference.

I have been using Haflers and other amps for years now. In my current setup I have been using a pair of Hafler 9505s and a QSC built JBL MPA 600 in a tri-amp configuration. The QSC/JBL is powering a pair of subs and seems to have really good control and lots of head room (whatever that means) and the one Hafler is powering a woofer between 50Hz and 600Hz and I think it is doing a fine job... the other Hafler is powering a compression driver and tweeter... they are both horn loaded with a sensitivity of about 105dB/watt through their passive network... the 300wpc Hafler is a rather silly choice, but it is the best free amp I currently have. I have been meaning to buy or build a Tube amp ... I only need 5-10 watts. Anyway, pardon the ramble, but recently a fellow forum member lent me a small class A amp from Pass Labs' First Watt series... it is a 30 watt unit and it really did make a difference. The mids were less harsh... I hadn't realized they were inordinately harsh, but they were less harsh, and even though I matched the gain to within 0.1 dB (using my friend Clio) the 30 watt class A amp sounded less loud... less compressed perhaps... anyway it absolutely was an improvement.

There are differences. They may not be huge, they may cost more than the perceived value, but if you have the opportunity, you should try better electronics... not necessarily more expensive electronics, but if you read these threads and other posts on the web, you can distill the info down to a manageable list.

Widget

norealtalent
    Hey Widget, YOU got tubed? Next thing we know you'll be gettin' some of them ragged cats eyes!!!Once you go tubes....

Hey... maybe tubes would smooth them out??? Couldn't hurt.

Widget

Hey Kingjames, do you have 2-20amp outlets available. If so P.M. me and
    maybe you would like to try some big Krell amps

Going to keep it

I think i'm going to keep this beast, I'll use it somewhere,the Mac goes on Ebay tomorrow and what ever I get for that I'll buy some separates,what are some nice separates that are easy to operate and look fairy cool and how much are we talking.Something I think in the neighborhood of 150 watts per channel or 200. As always, thanks for your most valued opinions!

Note.. I know nothing about decibles,crossover points and (headroom,whatever that means) but I keep reading all the thread's to try and learn,so for now keep it simple where I can understand it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jbl4ever
    Hey Kingjames, do you have 2-20amp outlets available. If so P.M. me and
    maybe you would like to try some big Krell amps
    Krell kicks ass on the bottom! Tight, snappy fast accurate clean bottom!

JBL woofers and Krell would be great freinds for sure.
    scottyj

Thread Information