Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is JBL's King Speaker?

What is JBL's King Speaker?

Grand Prix race driver Stirling Moss was once asked what it was like to be in his groove, to be gettin' it down--to win his race his way. He said it was like this: "There , match that, you bastards."

So the question is, which JBL speaker currently available or semi-available is the one they stand behind in that way. Is it the M9500?

David

JBLs King Speaker

Does Larry King own any JBLs? He looks like the Bose-wa-zee type to me. Don King didn't let the spray dry before auditioning for the Maxell ad.

Kidding aside does there have to be a king?

Tom Loizeaux
    I would think the JBL K2 S9800 for "consumer" speakers and...
    well there really isn't a hands-down Studio Monitor right now,
    and maybe the HLAs for live sound. ?

Tom

My KING JBL is the one I have at home. That one sounds far better than the one in the brochure...

Just kidding, I just remember this "best" question from a camera forum where someone answered that the best camera is the one that you have with you when you want to take a photo. And there is no denying that.

greetings, Frank

Alan Fletcher
    Don't get me wrong, I love JBL's. But if you want to put anything, home, professional, or otherwise to shame, take a listen to a pair of Mackie HR-824 Studio monitors sometime. Your jaw will hit the floor. Just don't play any crappy recordings, they'll chew them up and spit them on the floor, and you'll hear it land.

-A

Alan

I gotta disagree with you regarding your hi praise of the Mackie monitors.

The Genelecs (specifically the 8130As) or the Meyer HD-1s are leagues ahead in imaging and spatial interpetation than any of the Mackie stuff.

Now back to JBL.

Oldmics

Maron Horonzakz
    Dont forget the Westlakes.

havent you heard the LSR6332 they are an excelent studio Monitor have compered the side by side with the makies or the meyers

LSR32 and 6332

I agree; that would be a strong contender. In fact, I own a pair of the LSR32's, but I haven't heard any of the K2 series nor the larger 43XX and 44XX series, nor any of JBL's newer consumer systems. So, whereas I have my choices and hunches, I was interested in promoting discussion from people who have heard more systems than I have, or who are familiar with opinions within the company. I have heard Project May; that will also definitely be right up there.

Thanks for you idea.

David

El Rey

It kinda depends on what you like and what standard you apply.

Two of the better speakers I've ever heard, the JBL K2 S9800 and the Revel Ultima Salon are quite different, yet IMO in the top five speakers in the world (of those I've heard). On any given day depending on my mood and other factors, I'll prefer one over the other.

On another note, it's not really even a standalone speaker per se, but if you ever hear a Synthesis S1M plus the S1S EX sub, you'll be astounded. Not unlike the Performance Series PT800 and PS1400, it raises the question, "Is it one speaker or not?" Well, they're intended to be used together, so I say yes. The K2 noted above is even better in the Hercules System when paired with the S1S EX.
    Last edited by Titanium Dome; 05-27-2005 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Grammatical incompetence
    Out.

Tom Loizeaux
    I agree that adding the JBL LSR32 or LSR6332 to the list of current JBL top speakers is in order. I think that when used with their subs, these are quite respectable. They are, however, control monitors (using and old JBL term) and are designed to work in smaller (near field) spaces. I also suspect that a pair of these (each standing on it's matching sub enclosure) would make a pretty decent home speaker system.
    I considered these for my small studio...until I found my first pair of vintage JBL Studio monitors!

Tom

The LSRs are nice and have some design features that are class leading, but I think they're a notch below the top JB stuff.
    Out.

I agree that they a re a noch below but that a step few pepole can aford from a sistem of lsr with subs +- 4000 to "K2 20,000

personaly i have not compaired p800 against Lsr6332 of course there are some disgin difrenceses one is for a control monitor and the other is for home theter sistem

i know that the p1400 is a grate sub from all the coments heared but i dont think it has the fines and the adaptivity the 6312pwith its rmc feature for a beter flatnes in the listening position

well all is a question of taste and wish i had a more traind opinion
    well this is way we have this forum and are able to here other opinions

Maron Horonzakz
    A friend of mine is having his ears tested in St louis ( Barns Hospital) Going in for cochlier ear transplant. The speaker being used in special moniter room is a JBL LSR32. Go figure how mutch he can hear?

jcdahl
    I still like my Paragon augmented by my two Sub1500s.

Thread Information