Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wood Horn 3-way

The 1200Hz Smith horns should do well. On an LE-85 with phenolics or titanium dia's the rolloff starts at 5-600Hz.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Have you measured that? Here is a curve of a stock JBL 2397 "800Hz" horn. It is decidedly rolled off below 1200Hz. I expect you will get the smaller horn to "work", but I am not sure how well.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I would be concerned because of the smaller mouth area. You need good loading at least 1/2 octave below your crossover point. If you are using steeper filters you may be able to get it a bit lower. There simply may not be enough horn to load the driver and support a crossover point that low. Only one way to find out!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Have you measured that?
    Measuring on a vocal mic, and a Klark RTA with a calibrated mic. Behringer measurement mic on the way. Still a couple of weeks i think. Got a little sidetracked by a vacation and a pair of Sovereigns...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    I expect you will get the smaller horn to "work", but I am not sure how well.

Widget
    I second that. Somewhere in the area 800-1200Hz you should hit 2 x fc (cutoff frequency) which could be troublesome.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

GarMan

Driver for Plot?

Widget, what driver was used for the plot above? I see the 2328 throat was used, so I'm assuming a 2" exit driver (2440, 2441?)

If that's the case, I'm shocked (and dissappointed) that it drops off so early. I always assumed that a 2397+2" driver can go down below 1000Hz.

In those particular plots I was using a TAD 4001. I have also measured JBL 2441s and they are identical in the lower portion of the curve. The TAD's larger magnet and Beryllium diaphragm gives it a slightly flatter and more extended top end. The two plots were comparing a stock 2328 with a custom adapter.

Yes, I too was disappointed.

Realize the scale is relatively expanded, with 5 dB per major vertical division. The response between 1200Hz and 12KHz, which is where I was using the driver horn combo is +/- 2.5 dB... not to shabby really.

Widget

Finished assembly, let the tweaking begin.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

So far the sound is fabulous, but I need a little more insight. I am sure twiddling the knobs alot. I hear one track and tune it one way and then say that sounds right, and then on the next track I change my mind and put it somewhere else. I am working on some actual measurements to see what the response is across the bandwidth.
    I have found that they can really handle high volume without distortion. This is something I have not experienced at home before

RIP 2009
    Beautiful! What type of wood veneer is that?

John

Looks like walnut to me... very nice! You beat me by weeks. Glad to hear you like them.

I have been listening to my project for a couple of days now and am also quite pleased.

Widget

pelly3s
    those are absolutely amazing looking. i want a pair lol. now if i only had the talent to work with wood like that

Yes it's quartered walnut veneer from Oakwood Veneer: http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/This was a good supplier, it came right away and was reasonably priced.

Very nice sense of proportion and balance. I really appreciate your attention to detail. Very well done!

Quote Originally Posted by John W
    I am sure twiddling the knobs alot. I hear one track and tune it one way and then say that sounds right, and then on the next track I change my mind and put it somewhere else.
    I have found that without an RTA I could spend weeks twiddling knobs before becoming satisfied with a new system's balance. Even now with the help of Clio I can spend several hours tweaking. I find it is best to tweak... listen for a bit and then leave for a few hours before coming back to it... the breaks are really necessary. If you do not have an RTA, I'd strongly urge you to consider getting one or at least borrowing one. There are several units available for under $300... sometimes way under.

Congratulations on a very nice looking pair of speakers!

Widget

Your new babies

John
    They look fabulous!
    I'm curious about the placement of the Smith horns on top of the HF units ( the motor is still in the front of my of my car and the rear wheels push it along ) to that end are the highs distinct enough to give you the feeling of height or has this got alot to do with your knob twiddling?
    I ask this because I'm about to do my system using the Smith horns and I had intended to mount them in the box with 077 above.
    Please keep us posted
    Regards
    Michael

Beautiful. Have fun.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Thread Information