Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL L36 replacement woofer.

JBL L36 replacement woofer.

Sup All
    Great sight here and alot of info.

I currently own 6 JBL L36 speakers. I just sent 2 of the woofers out for recone. The individual who reconed the speakers did a fine job. Craftsmenship looks excellent. There is a problem though one of the woofers seems to be warped or bent or something and it did not workout. I know when it burnt up it would not move any. So is this a common accurance. He called JBL and the replacement that they recommend is a 125HR. I went ahead and ordered one of these. Will it be as good as the orginal?

On that same note. I have had the orginal set of L36 speakers from when they were brand new 27 years or something. I used to get them reconed when just a reedge would do. But now they are digging deep into my pocket. I will have 500 dollars into them when its said and done. Are there any good replacement speakers that anyone would recommend. I sure hate to do it this way but it is my understanding that harmon is fixing to stop making parts for the L166, L100 and L36 and the rise in cost may shift me over to some other speaker.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Sorry for the spelling also.

You should be able to find the proper woofers used on eBay.

As far as your one damaged woofer, it would take a heck of a lot to warp the cast frame. I bet there is junk wedged in the voice coil gap and the reconer was unable or unwilling to properly clean it out.

I would not buy new replacement woofers as they will not be similar enough to the original, and cost more than those speakers are worth. You could buy a pair of L36s on eBay for less.
    Last edited by Mr. Widget; 08-11-2003 at 08:02 PM.

Mr Widget
    Thanks for the reply. I bought 4 of them off of ebay. About the basket that very well could be true. I guess the only way to find out is to have someone else rebuild them And that is bumming me out.

I took the speaker out and when I push up gently on it, it sticks about 1/8 of an inch. Going in it feels fine. The other there is no sticking.

I dont know I am going to have to rethink this whole mess out. Like I said just having the speakers reconed that I own is cutting deep into the bocket.

So let me get this right. You do not think the 125hr is as good a speaker as the orginal.

Again Thanks

I am not familiar with the 125HR, however the L36 is a system, it was designed with a specific 10" woofer and crossover to blend with the midrange and work with that specifically tuned cabinet.

A different or even better woofer will not necessarily improve a system that was not designed to work with it.

Mr Widget
    I understand and Thanks for the info.
    Peace

However...

"He called JBL and the replacement that they recommend is a 125HR"

That statement would indicate that it is just fine, although it might be better to replace them in pairs.

John

My guess

I see you say that when you push UP on the cone you encounter Sticking about 1/8 in out! To me this is the voice coil rubbing because during recone it wasnt 100% centered. I have had this problem with certain reconers and when i switched to a different reconer the problem went away!

Shimming and centering of the voice coil are EXTREMELY critical during recone assembly!

Originally posted by [email protected]
    However...

"He called JBL and the replacement that they recommend is a 125HR"

That statement would indicate that it is just fine, although it might be better to replace them in pairs.

John
    I don't agree!

It only means that of the currently available JBL woofers the 125HR is the most suitable. It will not have identical characteristics and your comment suggesting that they be replaced in pairs goes along with this.

Don't get me wrong, I love designing my own systems, but replacing parts without fully understanding what and how you are changing the system parameters just doesn't make sense to me. If the JBL recommendation came with advice to "add a series inductor and a..." I would give it more credence. As it is, I would say that it is an expensive proposition that just doesn't make sense. I am guessing that warpig is not set up to modify the, admittedly very simple, crossovers to make a driver substitution a good choice. Besides, L-36s are just not that rare and are readily available for the hungry cannibal.

Widget

Scott has a good point!

It is possible that the reconer screwed up.

It is also possible that the botched recone is salvageable. With care the cone could be removed and perhaps re-centered with success.

Thanks for all of the replies.
    I will see if I can cancel the order and keep an eye on ebay for one.

Any suggestions on who might tackle the job to see if it is savagable.

Thanks

Originally posted by warpig
    Thanks for all of the replies.
    I will see if I can cancel the order and keep an eye on ebay for one.

Any suggestions on who might tackle the job to see if it is savagable.

Thanks
    Heck I could savage it for you. But to salvage it you need to find a qualified reconer who doesn't mind that kind of work. The guy I use could do it, but I am in San Francisco. Post your location and maybe someone near you knows a good resource.

Good Luck

Re: Scott has a good point!

Originally posted by Mr. Widget
    It is possible that the reconer screwed up.

It is also possible that the botched recone is salvageable. With care the cone could be removed and perhaps re-centered with success.
    Especially if the coil in question wasnt the intended coil for the gap its being put into!

Find L36,s on ebay and be happy!

hehe yeah im fixing to get savage on it real soon.

Like I said spelling is not one of my better points.

Maybe this would help Louisiana Schools.

New Orleans

If you would like to get a reconable basket, that would be known good enough to put a new cone kit into, let me know and I'll put you in contact with our local JBL factory service guy around here, who has a 125A basket assembly sitting around. I was just over at his shop the other day, and he showed me one...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Gordon
    Thanks for the offer. I sent you a PM.

Thanks to all who replied. This forum is a great.

Again Thanks All

Thread Information