Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 4350 Monitor Plans

Quote Originally Posted by Regis
    Rick,
    Excellent work as usual! You've gotta be proud, but I gotta ask, who helps you lift these things around?
    Regis - It's no problem moving em around. I have a 17 yer old son, Junior in H.S. This past Christmas he asked for this big gigantic oylmpic style weight lifting rig. It takes up 30-40 square foot of my work area in the garage. I said Ok. When it's time to carry 4350's up and down the stairs I just tell him it's time to stop pumping iron and pump wood. He bitches but always pitches in. I also have a 6' tall 13 year old to fill in when needed. "No Problem"

Hey Trav - Thanx for the compliments. I hope that when you get your project off the ground that you'll load progress reports out here for us to follow. I started this thread some time back by posting the drawings/plans that I had. Now after quite some time passing, I'm now able to add the pics that will show the cabs going together, more coming. Hopefully some other forumites will be inspired get started building their own.

I expected you to comment on my last pic - box in the left side of the pic with purple lettering - arrived safely, unboxed and sitting in the living room. Thanx

4350's Under Construction

Here's a few more pics. Good or Bad, Right or Wrong, this is how they built them. All panels were insulated prior to cabinet assembly. It's much easier than trying to get up into some of the areas and trying to install insulation after the cabinet is whole. I suppose anyone deciding to build a pair could improve in some areas. The baffle, back and cabinet walls could be thicker (like the 4355) and some add'l bracing could be added. I hurt my knuckels rapping on the these cabinets looking for areas of weak bracing. They are rock solid as originally built by JBL. More pics later.

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Obsolete
    Very nice Rick!

BTW - I told Greg I was building you a pair of biased 4355 filters. His response was something like "Whoa! Those will really sound nice with biased filters." Don was there, he can elaborate if he wishes.

Rick,

What is the type of fiberglass insulation and thickness that you are using? Is it stapled in and around the bracing? Also, how much coverage on the various panels? Do you know if JBL's insulation was very dense and thick or somewhat teased out or fluffy?

I've got a 4333B that had all the fiberglass taken out and 4 inch egg crate foam was placed into almost every flat nook and cranny. Might work Ok but certainly isn't original. Obviously to reinstall, I'm going to have to work through the woofer hole for most of it. Thanks for any information you could provide.

Regards,

Bart

Great work

Riessen, I have watched you complete many a project over the last couple of years and wanted to compliment you on yet another great looking project. I am very impressed with the ingenuity of your clamp system.

PS. I wish you were closer so I could retain your services to square up the rounded edges on my cabs and apply walnut veneer.

Ken

Waiting for more
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enought to take away everything from you

Insulation

Quote Originally Posted by mech986
    Rick,

What is the type of fiberglass insulation and thickness that you are using? Is it stapled in and around the bracing? Also, how much coverage on the various panels? Do you know if JBL's insulation was very dense and thick or somewhat teased out or fluffy?

I've got a 4333B that had all the fiberglass taken out and 4 inch egg crate foam was placed into almost every flat nook and cranny. Might work Ok but certainly isn't original. Obviously to reinstall, I'm going to have to work through the woofer hole for most of it. Thanks for any information you could provide.

Regards,

Bart
    Bart: I use a yellow 1" non-shedding fiberglass type that is identical to that used by JBL, as far as I can tell. It looks identical to everything I have seen inside their cabinets. I get it from a supplier in the Chicago area. This same insulation has been discussed on the forum before. I can't remember the company name right now but you should be able to find it in a search. It comes in 50' rolls, 1" x 24" wide.

Some of the guys have doubled it up to achieve greater thickness. From this company 1" is the max. they offer.

Rick -

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    Riessen, I have watched you complete many a project over the last couple of years and wanted to compliment you on yet another great looking project. I am very impressed with the ingenuity of your clamp system.

PS. I wish you were closer so I could retain your services to square up the rounded edges on my cabs and apply walnut veneer.

Ken
    Hi Ken: You're obviously settled back in Canada now and back in full swing. I've been meaning to drop you a line. How did your Westie grilles turn out??

I recently skinned the 4350 cabinets in some of the prettiest figured walnut veneer I have ever seen. I'm just tonight installing components and putting velcro tabs all over the baffles. I'll post some pics when they're ready to look at.

Thanks for the compliments. My make-shift cabinet press might seem a bit anal to some but for me it was the smartest tool I have added to my shop since I bought my first table saw. I probably have 8 routers, a bunch of drills, two table saws, joiner, jigs, templates, clamps, etc. Everything to process the wood, but I had nothing to make assembly easier and more acurate. The press idea replaces about 8 pipe clamps when assembling a big cabinet, a bunch of time and even more frustration. The big plus is that there is NO flex over the 4' clamping span so it clamps evenly over the width of the cabinet. Since I'm always coming up with some cabinet project, I should get good use out of it. Cost was a couple hundred $$ worth of 2x2 square tube aluminum and a few hours of tig time on the welder. If I had to pay going fab shop rates to have it built I'd likely not have it.

You should tag along with John sometime when he comes down this way from Winnipig. He was by a few weeks ago and I might see him again in a couple weeks or so. Bring your westies with you.

Later - Rick

Southern California, Orange County, Huntington Beach
    Love the work, it looks beautiful, though regarding that Wrap-On thing Widget speaks of, that individual post, mmmm pink insulation that'd be pretty scary sight to see.
    Young, but i love speakers!

Quote Originally Posted by QwertyAccess
    regarding that Wrap-On thing Widget speaks of, that individual post, mmmm pink insulation that'd be pretty scary sight to see.
    The insulation from Wrap-On is all yellow - like that used by JBL on most monitors.

I did open up a real old pair of Sovereigns some time back to find both yellow and pink insulation inside. Maybe they ran out of yellow.

4350's - Fresh Out Of The Oven

Here's some pics to followup on those previously posted. Am just about finished except for making the grilles. Tonight I'll put the covers over the unused ports, staple on a few remaining velcro tabs and try to fire them up.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Regis

Thumbs up

Rick, you've done a beautiful job on those! They are awesome and your wood choice came out very, very well! You've got to be a proud papa and better yet, your sweat went into these, so listening to them has to be special. Thanks for the great pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Regis
    Rick, you've done a beautiful job on those! They are awesome and your wood choice came out very, very well! You've got to be a proud papa and better yet, your sweat went into these, so listening to them has to be special. Thanks for the great pics!
    Hi Regis - Thanks for the compliments. I hope to listen to these for a while - short while. I did them for a friend in Michigan so they won't be around too long. They look much better now than they did some months back. Sitting in the garage is a pair I'm scratch building for a friend in Germany. Hope to have them veneered soon and they too will be on their way. Tough to see them go but I have a pair of my own. I hope to get back to my own projects soon. I've been trying to build a pair of 4355's for some time. Some of the wood is cut so I hope to get them done - don't ask me why - as I have no room in the house and keeping them is a slim option.

Thread Information