Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 250Ti Advice sought

Audiokarma

250Ti Advice sought

Regarding this pair of 250Ti:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=5884

I’m seeking some advice here. These are only about an hour drive from me, so in that respect, it would be a rare opportunity for a local pick up. I’m perfectly content with my current speaker combination in my main system. I run KEF 104/2 along with an NHT SW3P Subwoofer. I’ve been through quite a few speakers and have to say that to my ears, the 104/2 is the best sounding speakers I’ve owned, so far. To me, the only minor shortfall is low bass extension but fortunately, I've found that the NHT allows a nearly seamless integration (at least within my own personal listening room and acoustics). Besides, the 104/2's seem so otherwise exceptionally well-balanced, I've been willing to live without the lowest octaves. For reference, I’ve owned 3 pairs of Maggies, including 2.6R, Dahlquist DQ-10 & 20's, ADS L-1530 and 1290's, Pinnacle CGT, NHT 2.5i, Polk SDA-1C, ESS Heil AMT CE Monitors, and have spent a fair amount of time listening to a friends vintage Vandersteen 4's. I’ve also owned several Klipsch Heritage series including K-horns, Belles and Cornwalls.

My only experience so far with JBL has been with the Century series, L-36 and on the top end vintage Olympus and Sovereign S8R’s. I’m very curious to know how happy I might be with the 250Ti. I’d love to do an A/B with my current set-up but not sure if I can swing that. So my only choice may be just to take the plunge. Before I do that, I'd like some feedback.

I'm also juggling trying to work out a local deal on some L150A's to restore for my vintage 70's system.

I guess the main question I have is whether the additional investment for the 250Ti's would represent a significant improvement over my current KEF/NHT set up.

I’ve read the other threads on these and the Stereophile review posted here before. I gather that many of you have experience with other quality systems besides JBL and so I’d certainly appreciate any perspectives or advice you might have to offer. Thanks for your time and thoughts, Kevin

Hi Kevin:

I'll recommend packing up your favorite CD's, jump in the car and listen for yourself before doing anything . Everybody's different as to what they like, so you may or may not like the sound. The most you would be out is a little gas and an evening.

Good Luck

Obsolete
    Exactly!

There's just no way anyone here can tell you what you'll prefer to listen to.

I suppose we could flame you for mentioning KEF though.

Audiokarma
    Quote Originally Posted by Giskard

I suppose we could flame you for mentioning KEF though.

yikes, excuse me......

Hi Giskard, Yeah, I guess I took a big chance there opening myself up as I cautiously (but sometimes clumsily) negotiate these sacred halls.

Obsolete

Yeah, they're sacred all right...

Audiokarma
    Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    Hi Kevin:

I'll recommend packing up your favorite CD's, jump in the car and listen for yourself before doing anything . Everybody's different as to what they like, so you may or may not like the sound. The most you would be out is a little gas and an evening.

Good Luck
    Yeah, I could show up with my favorite reference CD's and his favorite beverage. I sure would like to hear those puppies. Even if I didn't get them myself, I could help put out the good word. Besides, it's an awesome drive this time of year.

I pm'd the guy yesterday, but so far, no response.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiokarma

I pm'd the guy yesterday, but so far, no response.
    Bummer.....

Besides, it's an awesome drive this time of year.

Yes, take time to "smell the roses" and take a break from reality.

and as far as the KEF thingy, wellll.. , I'll let go..... THIS TIME!! ( I won't tell the dog about this, she's not so forgiving )

Audiokarma
    ( I won't tell the dog about this, she's not so forgiving )
    Thanks, doesn't look like I'd want to be on her bad side! Good doggy, good doggy.

yikes, excuse me......

Hi Giskard, Yeah, I guess I took a big chance there opening myself up as I cautiously (but sometimes clumsily) negotiate these sacred halls.

Thay say that acknowledgement is the first step to recovery. Now, let's all go to the !

Quote Originally Posted by JBLsince1959
    Hi Kevin:

Good Luck
    I'd recommend you jump in the truck (or van) and drive over with some of your own music, perhaps even taking your own player, pre/pro, and amp. Then if you like, do a BIN on the spot and bring the lovely twins home.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    I'd recommend you jump in the truck (or van) and drive over with some of your own music, perhaps even taking your own player, pre/pro, and amp. Then if you like, do a BIN on the spot and bring the lovely twins home.
    Now THAT'S a plan...

Audiokarma

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Now, let's all go to the !
    That sounds like the plan. Well, if I still lived in Newport, I'd say meet me at Mutt Lynch's and we could discuss it over a frosty one while we see just how old the local talent makes us feel. Ahhh, the memories.

Go get 'em ACE!

Audiokarma

Flame retardant suit in place

Well, I'm not ready quite yet to bail on the "not to be mentioned, aforementioned speakers". OK, I just got back from the local FD and picked up a surplus flame retardant suit....so bring it on! LOL

So look, since I've already so indelicately and politically incorrectly stepped in it, may I be so bold as to ask: Are there any current 250ti owners who have kept them in favor of something else, or conversely who have replaced them with another JBL system or, (one thousand pardons), some other "not to be mentioned" brand? How about anyone who simply has heard them, but but passed or who wasn't able to get them for whatever reason, too much $, etc.?

Hi Kevin:

Good Luck
    Please read the above again.... S L O W L Y.... (it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks or likes, shit, I still like to listen to my C-35's every now and then)

seriously tho, I know where you are coming from.... the 250's are very, very good speakers and some will love them and keep them forever, some won't.

good luck

Thread Information