Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: its about bose...

its about bose...

A friend has a pair of BOSE 201 series 3 speakers (from ebay), and I was hoping someone on the forum might have a web address for a forum for his 201's like this forum for JBL's. it seems when he plugs them into his amp and goes through autosetup the AV reciever kicks off during setup. I was going to check the resistance with a VOM, but wanted to find a info source like this one for JBL's, which covers BOSE. Any help out there??
    Thanks in advance
    Larry
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

Bose

A quick Google brings this result.

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsth.../0/Board/UBB90

One can easily put in "Bose" and "forum" to get a hefty list from Google.
    Out.

Wow!!!

Hey Dome, I followed your link and well... 'er... 'um wow!

I don't check out other audio fora much, but as a lark I was curious as to what these folks might be saying about Bose...

Here is a quote:

"(Sometimes I wonder...) If these people who hate Bose so much ever spent that much time listening to them. ...Then I read about how it isn't rated below 50 hz, the hole in the frequncy response, the cheap materials they use, etc., and think to myself, my God, what have I done. ...Yes, those little speakers actually throw off some decent bass as well. So my conclusion is, more people should probably listen to Bose speakers, instead of reading about them."

Once again, ignorance is bliss... I read a few more posts and some fella pointed out that Bose can't compete against Martin Logan, Wilson Audio, etc. and another member of that forum got PO'd. (The fellow making the reality check was quite civil and still a "believer" got bent!) They eventually went with the what ever makes you happy mantra, but geez... No Bose speaker can compete with a TOTL audiophile system and it really shouldn't. I don't think anyone here would expect the JBLs sold at Circuit City to keep up with a K2 system...

There is one hell of a lot of misinformation out there.

Another quote from a happy Bose owner, just for fun:
    "As I was listening, every once in a while I was, well, for lack of a better phrase, blown away by what I was hearing, also every so often during a movie I am watching, the LFE gets pretty intense and shakes everything in the room..."

Guess I'll be getting rid of the Sub1500s and seeking out a Bose Lifestyle system.
    Widget

RIP 2009
    I will say that when the Bose 901's first came out, including the little LF EQ box, I was actually impressed with how well they sounded, including the LF. I think they were about $1000/pair then. I did listen to them in an ideal setup for them, where the sound was mainly reflected off the wall behind them, and set up perfectly. I'd probably still think that particular setup sounds pretty good - the new little bitty boxes with a hidden sub leave much to be desired, though...

John

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Hey Dome, I followed your link and well... 'er... 'um wow!

I don't check out other audio fora much, but as a lark I was curious as to what these folks might be saying about Bose...

There is one hell of a lot of misinformation out there.

Another quote from a happy Bose owner, just for fun:
    "As I was listening, every once in a while I was, well, for lack of a better phrase, blown away by what I was hearing, also every so often during a movie I am watching, the LFE gets pretty intense and shakes everything in the room..."
    There are many alternate realities out there.

Guess I'll be getting rid of the Sub1500s and seeking out a Bose Lifestyle system.
    Widget
    I'll send you a complete Bose system (of my choice) in exchange for your Sub1500s. Really. I'm not kidding. I'll even pay for all shipping.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec
    I will say that when the Bose 901's first came out, including the little LF EQ box, I was actually impressed with how well they sounded...

Yeah, me to. Of course I was 14 or 15 at the time. I would love to hear a properly set up pair today just for grins.

Widget

Alex Lancaster
    Widget: The only way to get a "lifestyle system" is to marry one of the ugly bosy daughters.

Ouch!

Audiokarma

901's

In their early days, the 901's were somewhat of a remarkable achievement. To their credit, and given the design parameter limitations of using 9 identical highly equalized drivers, they don't sound too bad....under very limited circumstances. Over the last 3 years or so, I've had an opportunity to briefly own Series V, IV, III, and II's. I've done my best to be objective in my evaluation of every speaker system I've owned since every system has it's strengths and weaknesses. To achieve the best performance from the 901's, their design requires a large bare reflecting wall, ideal room symmetry and just the right acoustics to take advantage of the reflected distribution. On the plus side, it really is amazing the kind of SPL those small enclosures are capable of. They will play loud and you can feed them all the power your amp has to dish out. OK, and they are kind of cool looking in a danish modern sort of way. That said, I have never been able to achieve a coherent and convincing soundstage presentation. They just can not realistically offer the detailed stereo image resolution of a direct radiating design, IMHO. It's just too muddied and blurred. And if you like an artificially beefy mid bass hump coupled to your room boundaries, they'll definitely do that. In my view, there are just too many other choices available that offer more flexible room placement and better performance for the money.

Figge
    nice site!

i like this one, i quote:

I don't believe the Bose is 'coloring' or 'removing' anything. The 3-2-1's are actually a VERY good system albeit a tad pricey.

As for the 'muddy' sound when cranked, I will agree. The 3-2-1's I have heard sound absolutely wonderful up to about '80' on the volume, then the sound quality is deffinately decreased.

Well.....

Yeah, me to. Of course I was 14 or 15 at the time. I would love to hear a properly set up pair today just for grins.

Widget
    I have a pair of the original Bose 901,s put away! My dad bought em for me back in the 70,s. Everybody said they were the best!

I remember hooking them up to the McIntosh amp and preamp my father gave me, and I never liked them! My freinds loved em though! I now had this monster stereo and still listened to my dads stereo, which would make him kind of angry, since he spent good money on my stuff and I didnt appreciate it!

There was one thing sort of good about the Bose 901,s! They were pretty indestructible, no matter how hard you cranked em with a McIntosh 2105, they never blew! And during parties, my freinds cranked em!

I was also 14 when I got these! When my dad and my uncle upgraded to L300,s I had a choice, my dads pair of AR3a,s, or my uncles pair of L100,s. I took the JBL,s! MUCH MUCH MUCH better than Bose!

No highs, no lows, Bose Blows!
    scottyj

No Highs no lows MUST be Bose?

Widget
    WOW
    I am so in the dark ages.
    So that means I should get rid of ALL of my gear B&W's L250's 2242's sub1500's 4301b's LE5-xx's 035Tia's 2245 LSR25p's Vienna Acoustic Beethoven's and others?

Actually... I think I would get rid of anything called a Vienna Acoustic Beethoven...

Widget

Ahhh!

Very right you are. They are just waiting for someone to buy them

Talking

Actually... I think I would get rid of anything called a Vienna Acoustic Beethoven...

Widget

OTOH, if it was called Vienna Beef and it was a hot dog and it came from Chicago after being dragged through the garden, I'd eat it! MMM-m-m-m! Love those Chicago Dogs.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Thread Information