Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LE14C's

Looks like a proper way to ruin the voice coils, or are they already dead?

Quote Originally Posted by martin2395 View Post
    yeah, gawd I hope they're not working- bad kitty! (cute though)

Quote Originally Posted by martin2395 View Post
    Everything works. The speakers are in excellent condition. Only need to soften the foam with brake fluid (or refoam).

Le14c

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherdude View Post
    Good evening!

I'm a brand new member. I've been a regular on AudioKarma and Audio Asylum for a couple of years or so, and recently heard about this site. I think it's terrific that there's a group of people dedicated to keeping the early history of a famous brand alive.

I recently acquired a pair of LE14C's from the family of the original owner. They were purchased with a Fisher 500C around 1962. (Yep, got that, too!) The cabinets didn't survive a coast to coast move, but everything else did. Both drivers are absolutely perfect in every way. I also have the crossovers, L-pads, and all the original wiring. All that remained of the original cabinets was the back panel, so I have the height and width, at least.

I've listened to them, and I'm amazed at how nice they sound. And that's just laying on the floor! Obviously in free air there's no bass to speak of, but what I'm hearing really intrigues me. And that leads to a few questions...

The information I found on the Lansing Heritage site says that these are 8 ohm drivers, but mine are clearly labeled 16 ohms. Are there two different models/impedances?

What's the general opinion of these, as far as sound goes? As much as I love vintage stuff, I understand that there has been a bit of improvement in driver performance in the last 40 years! Are these worth building a cabinet for? Any idea on current value, even though I have no intention of selling.

I did some research, and found a range of recommended cabinet sizes, i.e. 1.5 - 6 cubic feet, and some port diameters/depths for the different cabinet sizes. Any personal opinions/suggestions for cabinet size? Anybody have an original cabinet that had LE14C's that can give measurements?

Mine have the creamy yellow surrounds. They are in perfect shape, so they certainly don't need to be replaced, but for future reference, is anything available?

Thanks in advance, guys. I'm not new to either vintage audio or web sites, and I know it's not the best manners for a new member to start out with a bunch of questions. I hope you'll forgive me! I love these drivers, and I hope to be a member who contributes more than he takes, as soon as I learn a little bit more!

Thanks,
    Clay
    Hello, I am a new member as well. How doe these speakers sound? I heard Kendrick Sound made some bronze horns for the tweeters and sound pretty good (on Youtube) . Thanks, CC

Did Easter come early this year?

Thread Information