Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My L-300's

My L-300's

Hello all, I am new to the forum. My father bought a set of L-300's back in 1975 (shortly before I was born). They didn't see a lot of use. He did a little DJ'ing but nothing major. For the last 30+ years, however, the 300's were just sitting in the basement, rotting away. For the last 5 years (at least) I'd been trying to persuade him into giving them to me. FINALLY, about 6 month's ago he gave in. I took them down to EDI in Peoria to have them refurbished. They did an excellent job. New 2235h kits, new l-pads, new bases, grill cloth etc. Luckily the 077 and le-85 phragms were in great working order, so those remain original. They sound AMAZING!!!! Just thought I'd share with some folks that I know can appreciate a fine peice of American history.

Name:  L300.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  202.2 KBName:  L300_3.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  196.8 KBName:  L300_4.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  205.6 KBName:  L300-5.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  84.4 KBName:  L300-6.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  134.8 KB

Nice story but the pics aren't showing up for me.
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

My L-300's

Here's one more pic
    Name:  L300-7.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  139.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Zeppeli View Post
    Nice story but the pics aren't showing up for me.

I just reloaded the pics. They should show now

Ten - four!

Those cleaned up nice.
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Zeppeli View Post
    Ten - four!

Those cleaned up nice.
    Thanks. Yes, they really did. The guys at EDI did an EXCELLENT job.

Persistence finally paid off, eh? It's so good to see such fine speakers rescued from the abyss and brought back into service. It makes one's head spin to think of all the classic gear that is still sitting in peoples' garages and basements all over this country. Thanks for posting the pics and the story.

GeeDeeEmm

Gorgious!

I'm sure your dad is happy to see his speakers looking like new!
    Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Persistence finally paid off, eh? It's so good to see such fine speakers rescued from the abyss and brought back into service. It makes one's head spin to think of all the classic gear that is still sitting in peoples' garages and basements all over this country. Thanks for posting the pics and the story.

GeeDeeEmm
    Yes, persistence finally did pay off . Now I'm working on seeing if he'll part with his Mac MC2205, which pretty acting as a paper weight. A 90lbs paper weight, lol. I'm glad you enjoyed the pics and the story behind the speakers. Always glad to share with those that can really appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by Challenger604 View Post
    I'm sure your dad is happy to see his speakers looking like new!
    Have fun!
    He was VERY pleased. While listening to them he had this prideful smile on his face. I was glad to be able to get'em back up to spec

Nice restoration! I'm curious, why the need for new 2235 recones when it appears the only problem was bad surrounds on the 136A originals? Unless the woofers were played at volume with no surrounds (unlikely since you said they've pretty much been in storage for the last 30 years), there would be little or no damage to the voice coils. Of course, if there were something wrong with the spiders, that would require replacement.

Did you also have the LE85 and 077 diaphragms checked?

otherwise, they came out very nice, glad the veneers held up and weren't scratched up badly. Were the bases in need of rebuilding as many do? Happens with dampness in the floors.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Quote Originally Posted by 300_Summit View Post
    He was VERY pleased. While listening to them he had this prideful smile on his face. I was glad to be able to get'em back up to spec
    Nice!
    Good choice on the 2235!
    C

Quote Originally Posted by mech986 View Post
    Nice restoration! I'm curious, why the need for new 2235 recones when it appears the only problem was bad surrounds on the 136A originals? Unless the woofers were played at volume with no surrounds (unlikely since you said they've pretty much been in storage for the last 30 years), there would be little or no damage to the voice coils. Of course, if there were something wrong with the spiders, that would require replacement.

Did you also have the LE85 and 077 diaphragms checked?

otherwise, they came out very nice, glad the veneers held up and weren't scratched up badly. Were the bases in need of rebuilding as many do? Happens with dampness in the floors.
    I wanted the 2235h cone kits. IMO, it's much better than the 2231a/136a. As it turns out, when the 136 cones were taken out the basket and inspected, there was evidence of the voice coil rubbing against the magnet. Maybe a simple refoam would have been fine, but I wanted the the 2235 kits.
    As for the LE85 and 077 they were checked and all was fine with them. Those are original. I had to get new L-Pads.

The bases were shot. Those were rebuilt. The guy used solid wood and put plastic tabs on the corners so I can slide/move them easily. The bases came out great. Also had new grill fabric put on

sounds good then, congrats on a clean restoration.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Quote Originally Posted by 300_Summit View Post
    I wanted the 2235h cone kits. IMO, it's much better than the 2231a/136a. As it turns out, when the 136 cones were taken out the basket and inspected, there was evidence of the voice coil rubbing against the magnet. Maybe a simple refoam would have been fine, but I wanted the the 2235 kits.
    As for the LE85 and 077 they were checked and all was fine with them. Those are original. I had to get new L-Pads.

The bases were shot. Those were rebuilt. The guy used solid wood and put plastic tabs on the corners so I can slide/move them easily. The bases came out great. Also had new grill fabric put on
    Hi 300_Summit,

I have DIY 4333 speakers, and after 20 years bass drivers cone suspension had gone away, so had to be replaced......
    After some time I had an opportunity to to use another drivers that had 2235 JBL re-coned...and on my experience I want to say I prefer 2231A sound more then 2235H... I would suggest You to re-foam 2231A then to re-cone it to 2235...,especially if over 100W power would be 'applied' to the driver.

regards
    ivica

Thread Information