Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ebay Alert

RickL166

Ebay Alert

Pick-up in California, JBL cabinets.
    Thought I pass it along.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14993

Thumbs down ¡Dammit!

I bought some drivers from that guy! Man, I contributed to this lunacy! I woulda preferred intact cabinets. How likely is it these end their career as kindling...

"Like a knife..."
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

bookasan
    I knew it was just a matter of time before I saw a post here about my auction.
    Although, it happened faster than I thought.
    Let me explain something to those of you who feel the way you do about parting units out.

First of all, The only time I part them out is when some idiot spray paints cabinets white, drills holes in them or when some of the components need to be replaced.
    Look at my auctions for the S-109's that I sold complete, or the Spica TC-50's, Both of which were in very good condition.
    On the S-109's I know I could have made more $$$ by parting it out.

Second of all, When you JBL collectors need to replace a tweeter or you DIYers want 10 pairs of 077 tweeters for your new project, where do you buy them?
    Where do you think they came from to begin with??
    I think a lot of you thinking it's a crime to part these units out don't seem to mind buying the components off Ebay that were obviousily parted out,
    as shown by the post of the guy who bought the tweeters from me. Everyone who bought the components from me gave me possitive feedback and seemed very pleased to buy them from me. I said right in my auctions that they were pulled from working speakers.
    How many of you would buy a complete pair of L65's for $1,200 because your cat swallowed one of the JBL Emblems?
    That's what I thought.
    I think any of you preaching it is a sin to part the units out and then turning around and buying the parts off Ebay are the ones you should be posting the comments about.

Originally posted by bookasan
    How many of you would buy a complete pair of L65's for $1,200 because your cat swallowed one of the JBL Emblems?

Otherwise, it's not "what you think". We've gone around on this issue quite a lot. We're not ignorant of the points you raise. That is just a bunch of cabinets and at the distance of the photo don't appear to have been of the abused type. But, things are rarely what they appear...
    Last edited by boputnam; 10-17-2003 at 05:44 PM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Easy Bookasan, Probably very few here haven't done what you have. We are just sentimental about these old boxes. Nobody is judging you. I remember the last time the furnace went out in my house. I had no firewood and the Paragon without drivers was in my way all the time anyway. Walnut veneer burns hot and I have never looked back!

bookasan
    Sorry if I came across a bit deffensive.
    I do respect the concerns many of you have about this issue and am glad to see so many people who love what they love with such passion.
    It is a "bunch" of cabinets at one time, because I have collected so many speakers over the last year and decided to let what empty cabinets I have go all at one time. It doesn't compare to the large collection of JBL's I have in mint condition, most of which I refuse to part with.
    I have sold many complete pairs of speakers in the past and have many more I am in the process of selling. If they are in good condition, I will sell them complete.
    If they are missing components or have damage to the cabinets, making them worthless to the collector, I will part them out so several collectors can find the components they need to repair their speakers.
    Also, I really think the people that bid on this auction only have one plan for these cabinets and I don't think it is for firewood.
    Last edited by bookasan; 10-17-2003 at 11:19 PM.

PSS AUDIO
    It doesn't compare to the large collection of JBL's I have in mint condition...
    Hello,

If you have a pair of 434x in mint condition I am ready to buy it (I will just ask you some help to pack them very properly as they must be shipped in France).

Alex Lancaster

Wink

The real enemy is "shipping".

Alex.

Obsolete
    "The real enemy is "shipping"."

Very true.

You'r right Alex

I stay in France and can't pay the shipping for a the complet speakers from USA or Canada when I just need a pair of LE14A or 2231A.Last time I win a pair of C53 LIBRA on ebay , the seller send me the drivers and I whish he can make money with the enclosure.I just can't pay $380 shipping cost for a $200 auction.

Boputman,RickL166 and others,I do respect you point of view, but remember that a lot of audiofans don't leave nearby JBL or ALTEC factory.Our common passion for these products can't belong only to people that "KNOW".

My personnal experience grew by trying and constructing a lot of audio product,speakers and electronics.I used a lot fo JBL drivers in differents enclosure and still want to do.How can I find parts if ugly or destroyed speakers are not dismantled ?

PSS AUDIO
    Originally posted by locanti
    I just can't pay $380 shipping cost for a $200 auction.
    You can fly directly to the states, pick up the goods, and back in Europe for quite the same price!

Audiobeer,Please tell me that you really did not heat your home with a Paragon?As John Belushi said in Animal House"They took the whole fuc-in bar!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"Oldmics

Question

No way!

thevott
    It does seem a bit sacrilegious to dismantle working systems but from a business perspective it makes absolute sense in many instances. The obvious reason is freight shipping cost. Certain items will yield much more bid activity if shipping costs are within reason. Most, if not all, Ebay purchasers reading this know what I'm saying. Another reason is that custom speaker builders are not necessarily interested in the enclosures anyway, especially some big plywood theatre or utility PA box as is often the case. Personally, I am always happy to to see drivers in the hands of end users worldwide---not just the ones in driving distance. Also, The enclosures are almost always purchased eventually.

thevott

[/B]
    I'd be more concerned about the cat.

I have asked eBay sellers to part out a system because the cabinets were water damaged... I'd like to see Audiobeer try to save 3/4" walnut veneered cabinets that have swollen up to over an inch and a half!

As far as this auction is concerned the only true crime is that those Radio Shacks are commingling with the fine stable of JBLs.

Mr. Widget

Thread Information