Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with L300

boudu

Question Problem with L300

Before excuse me for my poor english.
    A few weeks ago, I buy a beautiful pair of L300 in exellent cosmetic and technical condition. The speakers are in exellent condition too, the crossover is the same of the 4333 with the possiblity of bi amplification. I used them with a pre Mcintosh C22 vintage and for amplifier with a pair of OTL Reference by Silvaweld (100W per ch). My room is 16 X 16 feet, floor is made of wood.
    My problem is that the bass are boomy and noisy, if I do anything on the preamp and with the button 'presence ans brillance", I heard only the bass speaker. I'm very disappointed because before I had Klipschorn and I do not have this problem. If speakers are a little bit raised, it is a very little better but the problem is the same. I don't know if I must sell them or try to find a solution. I need some help.
    Thanks

Regards
    Boudu from France

Hello Bodou!

First you don't need to excuse for bad english as I guess most of the board members speak only one language. You at least two

OK!
    The L300 should definately not sound boomy. Did you check every speaker e.g. mid horn and HF if they work properly?

boudu
    I don't have checked speakers, but I heard them and when I play with adjustment it works. Do you think I must test each speaker separately ?
    BR
    Boudu

Yes, you should disconnect the speakers from the x-over and then listen to wach one as single speaker.
    Just to make shure that each speaker works and have the same sound level than the correspondent speaker from the other channel.

E.g. you compare both tweeters with each other.
    Next each mid driver
    Next each bass cone

Let us know what you hear.

Guido

boudu
    I will test each speaker and I will describle what I hear.
    BR
    Boudu

Mike C
    hey guys, I owned a pair of L-300's a few year ago. Boomy they were not!, they had the most full and revealling bottom end of any loud speaker I have heard. I think the problem you are hearing is most probably in the network. Remember the caps etc are now more than twenty years old and are probably are a little wornout. Please have them checked out properly. I sold mine thinking there was something out there that was better, believe me there isn't!!!!!!!! They are a great sounding speaker if all the components are working as they should.
    Regards Mike,

@Mike

I'm not shure with your x-over theory.

My 4343 networks are more than 25 years old and work perfect.

I think JBL used foil caps that do not have this aging problem. But I'm not shure for that.

I think testing the balance of the speaker against each other will show it.

Let's give it a try

Hello, Boudu...

I agree with Guido - at least I have no problem with my 4345's, all original. So, unless your L300's were damaged (doesn't sound like it), there is something else.

It seems you know what you are doing, but are the L300's connected exactly the way the Klipsch were? Have you changed anything? Is there an EQ or other processor in the signal path? You might try going from the pre-amp to amp direct to L300 and see if any difference. Have you connected (+) to RED on the L300?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

"if I do anything on the preamp and with the button 'presence ans brillance", I heard only the bass speaker."

Well, I have two thoughts. First, the presence and brilliance L-pads are notorious for getting dirty, and needing to be cleaned or replaced. You might try shorting/bypassing them to see if that helps.

The second thought is location. Your Klipschorns were designed to be located in the room corners. The L-300s are not. Do you have the L-300s in the corners? Corner placement will increase bass output as much as 6dB.

boudu
    Yes L300s are today in the corner where was my klipschorn. The red is on the red and the blk on the blk but I don't know inside them because I didn't open them. Maybe it is not correct because the last customer take the mid and bass speakers to make them as new (I don't know the word "remembraner" in english). I must show inside I think.
    BR
    Boudu

"(I don't know the word "remembraner" in english)"

Do you me he reconed the drivers? Recone is not in the dictionary, but it means to replace the cone, voice coil, surround, and spider. At least this is the proper way to do it. For the mid horn it would mean a diaphragm replacement.

In any event, if you think that it is likely the speakers are working properly, pull them out of the corners and give them a listen. It is very rare that a corner is an ideal location for imaging and the proper creation of the stereo effect. This is one of the problems faced by all corner horns and in fact why Klipsch encouraged the use of a center speaker 40 years ago.

boudu

Unhappy

Yes the speakers were reconed but the only place I have is on the corner for the moment.
    I had many speakers brands before L300 and it's the first one with this horrible boomy bass.
    Somebody knows exactly how are speakers inside (I mean for LS + on + on the x-over, MS + on - or + on + etc....), with these informations I will be shure.
    I think there is a problem because a friend of mine had JBL Olympus and bass are not so loud. I must find a solution to not sell them too fast.

Well if you think there is a problem, the most likely culprits are the L-pads.

Do both speakers sound the same?

Here is the link to the pro version of the L-300 crossover. I am not sure if they would have the same color code or not. They are identical electrically, but with JBL you never know what they are thinking.

There are many on the forum with your speakers, hopefully someone will chime in with the proper wiring info for the L-300.

In the meantime try rotating the L-pads fully back and forth several times to see if it helps.

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Net...%20Network.pdf

boudu
    both speakers sound the same and I do play with Lpad when I buy them because I heard that they need a little it.
    Thanks for the x-over but mine are the same of the 4333 with bi-amp possibilities. The same of this picture : http://www.retroaudio.ru/speakers/4333AWX.shtml
    I hope it's possible (wich version ,) and not fantasy.

The 4333A with bi-amp switches is the crossover I posted. It is called the 3133A.

The 4333 does not have the bi-amp switch.

Here is it's crossover.

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Net...%20Network.pdf

Thread Information