Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Building My Own L100 Cabinets?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphh
    With some music, they have too much bass to the point of sounding "muddy". For this music, I have turned down the bass in my recivers equilizer. Is this the nature of the L100's, or is it my creation?
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=9463

Close the ports:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...946#post122946

The LF sim is here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...449#post123449

[Read on, there.... ]

Gary L
    Hi Ralph. Fabulous job and great pics and this is one of those threads that make this site fantastic.

I love seeing others handywork and yours is right up at the top.

Along the way you had some other say "Go bigger and better". I have to agree with them and especially now after viewing your finished project.

I know the time and effort that went into these and I also know that only you will ever appreciate them for everything they are.

I honestly don't think there is a better experience then to sit and listen to a wonderfull sounding and looking set of speakers and know you did it all!

As a side note I would certainly play around with some of the recommendations Zilch has given. He has played with himself enough to have this down to pure science!

As pretty as your speakers look you owe it to yourself to have them sounding the very best they can and the guidance you receive from Zilch might be just the ticket.

Great thread!

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L
    He has played with himself enough to have this down to pure science!
    Admitedly, playing with L100s IS somewhat of a wank.

[At LEAST I'm not a "Basher," tho.... ]

Has anyone here build their own L100 cabinets? Pls, give me cad raw and dimension of L100. Thank !

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    As for wood I would second the motion for MDF. It is better acoustically than particle board or plywood.
    Widget
    Had a JBL cinema Sub (China) that went TU. SAved the driver and busted up the box.
    It wasnt even MDF , just kind of a laminated PAPER.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by Huynh Chau View Post
    Has anyone here build their own L100 cabinets? Pls, give me cad raw and dimension of L100. Thank !
    Chao Ong....Toi la nguoi My, nhung toi nho tieng VN. Ong viet tieng MY gioi lam, Ong o dau ? Vo toi co gia dinh gan Bien Hoa va Ho Nai. Toi co ban My o Da Lat va se tam Ong aye 2007.

J.A.F.S.
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Chao Ong....Toi la nguoi My, nhung toi nho tieng VN. Ong viet tieng MY gioi lam, Ong o dau ? Vo toi co gia dinh gan Bien Hoa va Ho Nai. Toi co ban My o Da Lat va se tam Ong aye 2007.
    I like Da Lat - nice cool mountain air!
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

Chào SEAWOLF97 ! Tôi là người Việt nam. Tôi biết nói tiếng Mỹ rất ít (I can speak a little English ). Tôi đang ở Hồ Chí Minh City. Khi nào Ông về Việt nam thăm Bạn Ông, Hy vọng được gặp Ông. Ông viết tiếng Việt Nam rất tốt, tôi rất khăm phục Ông, cám ơn Ông đă trả lời Tôi.
    Good bye !

Quote Originally Posted by Huynh Chau View Post
    Chào SEAWOLF97 ! Tôi là người Việt nam. Tôi biết nói tiếng Mỹ rất ít (I can speak a little English ). Tôi đang ở Hồ Chí Minh City. Khi nào Ông về Việt nam thăm Bạn Ông, Hy vọng được gặp Ông. Ông viết tiếng Việt Nam rất tốt, tôi rất khăm phục Ông, cám ơn Ông đă trả lời Tôi.
    Good bye !
    khi nao chung toi di TPHCM, co nha khach gan cho Ben Thanh. Nam 2007 se di Da Nang (toi o DN 1969) va Can Tho (toi o CT 1970) va di Mui Ne mot lan nua. Mui Ne co bien dep nhut, va toi thich nhieu lam. Co mot ban My o Rach Gia va se di tam ong aye.

Toi da lam thong dich vien cho Hai Quan, nhung bay gio quen het roi !

Co le se gap ong nam 07

Chao ...Ong TOM

Quote Originally Posted by loach71 View Post
    I like Da Lat - nice cool mountain air!
    downright cold after HCMC . Looks like a French mountain village, but big money coming in there now. When were you there ?

khi nao chung toi di TPHCM, co nha khach gan cho Ben Thanh. Nam 2007 se di Da Nang (toi o DN 1969) va Can Tho (toi o CT 1970) va di Mui Ne mot lan nua. Mui Ne co bien dep nhut, va toi thich nhieu lam. Co mot ban My o Rach Gia va se di tam ong aye.

Toi da lam thong dich vien cho Hai Quan, nhung bay gio quen het roi !

Co le se gap ong nam 07

Chao ...Ong TOM
    OK! Hy vọng khi nào Ông thăm Việt Nam và HCMC tôi sẽ được gặp Ông, c̣n đây là bộ âm thanh mà tôi DIY:
    Attached Images Attached Images   

For those members who have requested my L-100 drawings, I have attached these. All dimensions were taken from a real L-100, and are the same except the overall cabinet depth, which I made 1/2" greater than the originals.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphh View Post
    For those members who have requested my L-100 drawings, I have attached these. All dimensions were taken from a real L-100, and are the same except the overall cabinet depth, which I made 1/2" greater than the originals.
    Hell of a job on the speakers and the drawings just might come in handy someday.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW WHAT A RIDE!

Cost is not a factor for ones passions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphh View Post
    For this project, I used a pair of original L100 crossovers. I tested the L-pads and found them both to be in good working condition. I then installed .01 by-pass caps. as others here have done.

My question, has anyone here replaced the original capacitors in their L100's with new main capacitors? If so, what type and brand did you use? What were the results of this change?

Also, has anyone modified their L100 crossovers to something a bit more complex, and with what result?
    I'm joining in on this thread kind of late, but it's never too late to compliment your excellent woodwork. You got the walnut stain perfect.

I replaced the original JBL minimal crossovers in my L100As with a much better DIY design. Your beautiful new cabinets deserve this treatment. With improved crossovers taming the upper midrange shrillness, and the ZilchPlugs™taming that midbass hump, you will get a full range flat frequency response from your L100s.

Quote Originally Posted by Swerd View Post
    I'm joining in on this thread kind of late, but it's never too late to compliment your excellent woodwork. You got the walnut stain perfect.

I replaced the original JBL minimal crossovers in my L100As with a much better DIY design. Your beautiful new cabinets deserve this treatment. With improved crossovers taming the upper midrange shrillness, and the ZilchPlugs™taming that midbass hump, you will get a full range flat frequency response from your L100s.
    I would like to try you crossovers some day but at my level of experience at this I would probably wind up doing more damage than good.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW WHAT A RIDE!

Cost is not a factor for ones passions.

Thread Information