Thread: 4333 black baffle paint

4333 black baffle paint

Hi.

Can anyone please tell me which painted is used for the 4333 cabinets, I have black on black cabinet, the baffle is a textured black paint while the cabinets are a gloss type black, the rear pannel is a flat black

Name:  20150214_144948.jpg
Views: 2644
Size:  81.5 KB

o, wanted to also ask where I could find 1 inch mdf. Not lowes or homedepot, I've already looked. local lumbar yards I guess?

Thanks
    Brian D.

Black is not original.
    I believe they came in an industrial grey, or had the walnut veneer.
    Baffles were often a bright "JBL Monitor blue".
    But folks have been known to paint them in all kind of colors -
    I even saw pictures of some fuchsia ones for sale in Paris ...

Quote Originally Posted by bldozier View Post
    Hi.

Can anyone please tell me which paint is used for the 4333 cabinets,
    I have black on black cabinet, the baffle is a textured black paint
    while the cabinets are a gloss type black, the rear panel is a flat black

o, wanted to also ask where I could find 1 inch mdf. Not lowes or homedepot, I've already looked. local lumbar yards I guess?

Thanks
    Brian D.

Name:  20150214_144948.jpg
Views: 2644
Size:  81.5 KB
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

It pays to live in a county where information is readily available, this single cabinet is like a vintage baseball card to me so keeping it as pristine condition is the condition im after.
    Maybe its just a everyday textured black paint, not some lab created one off, hopefully
    But still I would need a match, to it. I guess I struck out for thr glossy finishes, and a paint chip can help with that.
    But the baffle Its the 14th seasame street member, where can I find it.
    Just a quick follow up
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...-4333A-Restore

Those are black on black maybe the studio gray was stripped I favor of the black

Name:  P1000418.jpg
Views: 2119
Size:  174.2 KB Name:  jbl-4333-a-405026 (1).jpg
Views: 2505
Size:  49.9 KB

B/b an studio grey. Looks white To me.

Colors

Name:  COLOR CODES.jpg
Views: 1763
Size:  32.5 KB

Here a chipped corner, the assemt looks correct as its primary color of studio gray,

Name:  20150221_084117.jpg
Views: 1765
Size:  32.6 KB

I would like to ask how to go about cleaning the speaker cloth I have some type of residue on the grill.

Name:  20150221_084321.jpg
Views: 1698
Size:  42.5 KB Name:  20150221_084358.jpg
Views: 1751
Size:  50.9 KB

Here is a close photo in macro, best I could do with the lighting I aint got a flash lol, but its some type of textured spray paint, I thought it was mdf board, but remembered the baffle is 15 plyboard. So its got some sort of finish

Name:  20150221_084630.jpg
Views: 2598
Size:  48.0 KB

So here is a photo of its rear channel area space is limited, can I have sugesstions on a speaker arragement.

Name:  20150221_085126.jpg
Views: 1755
Size:  70.2 KB
    Intially the 4312m the small 4312s was my choice but im anticipating the suggestions.
    Brian d

You can easily tell what version it was, the WX versions all had a nice trim on the front (where pieces of veneer come together)
    On the SF (Studio Finish) those parts are always flat.

And the SF:

Anyone?

To reiterate or clarify:

The 4333 series was available in walnut veneer with an angled front cabinet edge and JBL Professional blue paint on the baffle front. Most 4333 series I have seen or in pictures seem to have some level of texture to the surface, although I'll bet some have a smoother finish. It's not been clear whether JBL used a special paint to achieve the texture. Most of us would say the color match is more important than the texture, unless extreme originality is important. You might want to examine close-up high res pictures of the KENRICK reproductions.

The 4333 series was also available in a "studio grey" cabinet with flat front edges and black baffle. This was the factory configuration and most likely used when speakers were to mounted in walls or soffits, thus eliminating need for nice looking veneer and not needing the blue paint but rather have black to blend into the dark recesses of a studio or control room. AFAIK, the grey was an industrial paint used more for its durability. Undoubtedly, many of these speakers, if flown or out in the open, had their cabinets painted black to blend into the background of other equipment or roof, similar to why all installed sound reinforcement speakers are black. It would not be unusual for the cabinet to be painted as is, or to be sanded on cabinet surfaces and baffle to accept painting.

Gloss black is an unusual choice for cabinet paint unless the previous owner was looking for a piano black like look. I have a pair of 4333WX walnut cabinets which the previous owner painted the front baffle black instead of leaving the blue intact. The front baffle is sanded smooth and painted a satin black. I also have a pair of 4331 in Studio grey and they look exactly like the grey pair Martin shows except for not having the tweeter and only 1 control.

What you need to decide is what type of finish you want for your speakers (the one you have, and the one you will acquire or build). The cabinet can be resprayed in a good grey or grey-white exterior paint, or maybe even an automotive type paint for durability. But there would need to be some very good cleanup and prep of the surfaces plus primers. The cabinets could also be refinished in a nice black of satin or gloss depending on your interests. Since they were not veneered originally, you do have leeway on how to finish them depending on your preferences and abilities, or with whomever you work with.

However, many of us would opt to have them veneered in a suitable and attractive veneer type. Look at the walnut version to see just how nice they are when finished well. Unless you're needing to, you could leave the flat front edges and simply veneer those as well, otherwise, you can add a walnut wedge angle to the front or veneer over a wood angle affixed to the front. Painting the baffle to a nice JBL Professional blue would complete the restoration.

So, all depends on your interests, desire to be exactly original to the specific cabinet type, or make a tasteful conversion to the veneered type. Whatever you choose, take your time, and find some craftsmen who can do the job right.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

possibly the most labor intensive idea ive read, in a while but the information is on point.
    i've read the baffle is a technique used by the applier, making it a personal touch. to reproduce it any any
    regard one would have to be tempted to fail. i for one am not. walnutted cabinets seem to carry more value since they are sold inside
    the boiler rooms of market street. when they surface im sure their value is noted and or just accepted since you would not
    deem them as everyday applications for that reason. i have no interest in jbl blue. not even a t shirt.

but im happy to see them there.

Thread Information