Thread: Advice Needed: L100's in Surround Mode

Advice Needed: L100's in Surround Mode

I know there are several threads covering the surround-sound audio question. But specifically, I'd like to use my L100's as front left/right speakers. I also have a spare set of L100's that could potentially be used as rear left/right (This is a 7.1 environment). What do you suggest for the center, if anything? Also , how about for the sides? This would also be used for home cinema. I've made the tentative decision not to use a subwoofer, for obvious reasons. Thanks.

Just my opinion, but you gotta have a good sub for home theater and L100s aren't going to reproduce the effects that a good sub will put out. The only exception to this may be if your in the basement. Then the only ones that will benefit from that nice sub is the folks upstairs.

Hey, kworrilow...

Make sure all the L100's are the same iteration. There was / is an evolutional series of L100's, and JBL ulitmately switched the polarity of the LF. You'll wanna ensure thet all elements of each cabinet are of like-polarity. There's sufficient gobbledigook about that here on the Forum - Search for "L100 polarity" on posts by me...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

L100 in surround environment

TWO subs!? OK, I shouldn't ask the question if I don't want the answer. I guess I can see needing the sub(s) if I really want great cinema sound...but those beautiful 12" low-ends seem to give me plenty of bass in music mode. And I am in a basement with heavy carpet and furniture. So, I know it's going to be hard to get a concensus here, but are you saying L100's ALL THE WAY AROUND? Including the front center channel and the left/right side channels? My wife's gonna LOVE this...

Quote Originally Posted by kworrilow
    ... those beautiful 12" low-ends seem to give me plenty of bass in music mode.
    Well, there's bass and there's BASS. L100's aren't doing it, and won't, no matter how many of them you use. Trust us on this. They do not play down at the frequencies we're talking about.

And don't listen to that BS that there's no program material on recordings below 40 Hz anyway, because there most definitely is. Aplenty.

I have been dealing with this 7.1 issue for a while now. The current thinking is to use the same "Voicing" for all of the speakers. In order of importance from my experiance is;

First, GET A BIG SUB! (Preferably two) LFE is your friend

Second, the center provides dialoge and fill, it should match the fronts. Otherwise when action pans accross the front the sound will change. I didn't believe this until I completed my new center. It's a big difference.

Third in importance are the side channels. They would benefit from the same speakers too. The directional information comes from them and the closer the timbral match the more the action will sound like Mr Dolby intended.

Last are the rear. Not much comes from them and this is the place to scrimp.

This my opinion only, your mileage may vary.
    Good listening with what ever you chose,

Don M
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

i was/am somewhat unhappy to find that ray dolby and i were sharing
    birthdays,however, shari lewis(and lambchop) and betty white help ease
    this pain

center chanel- another L100

to me ray dolby, and amar bose, are about the same thing

Exclamation Not Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by tomt
    i was/am somewhat unhappy to find that ray dolby and i were sharing
    birthdays,however, shari lewis(and lambchop) and betty white help ease
    this pain

center chanel- another L100

to me ray dolby, and amar bose, are about the same thing
    Well, at least you're not sharing your birthday with Adolf Hitler and the Columbine massacre like I am.

As for the L100s, I agree at least five are needed, with perhaps lesser Ls in the back. As good a woofer as the L100 has, it's not going to handle the LFE from a soundtrack like a dedicated sub will, and I'm a big fan of at least two.

Have you read the Harman white paper on subs?

Some old Citation 7.4s or Fosgate Audionics with LE14s in 'em would do the trick. Do a search here for more info on them; there've been some threads.
    Out.

An early-vintage L100 (the ones with the LE20 round tweeter and the drivers in a straight vertical line) would be a quite appropriate subwoofer... it's all-alnico drivers, so it would be INHERENTLY SHIELDED.

I'd love to hear a HT setup with ALL L100s across the front... heck, all 7 speakers, go for broke! But seriously... if not L100s in the rears and sides, maybe something like an L19 or L16 ... good 8" woofer in a good cabinet...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Thread Information