Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: foam vs cloth

What are peoples opinions about replacing foam with rubber in general?
    I posted the question to SimplySpeakers but they never responded.

Thanks

Why would you even consider it? These drivers are designed the way they are for very good reasons.

I don't really understand why people get so weirded out about foam that only lasts 10-15 years. Who will still be using their computer, cell phone, or even DVD player in 10-15 years? I like the fact that for a nominal fee these can last nearly a lifetime... there are few products made today that can even be repaired!

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Why would you even consider it? These drivers are designed the way they are for very good reasons.

I don't really understand why people get so weirded out about foam that only lasts 10-15 years. Who will still be using their computer, cell phone, or even DVD player in 10-15 years? I like the fact that for a nominal fee these can last nearly a lifetime... there are few products made today that can even be repaired!

Widget
    Before I reconed my LE14H's, I had a refoam job that only lasted 3 years. I know that is unusual..Maybe it was old stock or something, but I know I wasn't very happy about that.

Peter

Steve Gonzales

Second that Widget!

I think what gets lost in translastion by the site's experts is that that longevity is NOT the main issue!. A foam surround is ENGINEERED to have a SPECIFIC compliance, mechanical resistance and other factors. Going from a foam to a rubber, butyl rubber, santoprene-etc FROM an original JBL factory foam is going to drastically change things to your drivers response. I don't think it is a good idea except when going from Lansaloy to the newer foam . I mean no disrespect to any other answers. I just felt that alot of people (As I did), NEED to know the bottom line in no uncertain terms. Unless you have what equipment JBL did when they designed and tested their drivers (R&D), trust them that the best performace you could possibly ever achieve for your driver is a JBL RECONE kit, then if you can't afford that, a good quality replacement in the CORRECT and Original "type" material (FOAM). I hope this helps those who still had a question mark in their mind as I once did. Steve G.

Tom Loizeaux

Widget
    I agree with this, except JBL doesn't offer re-foam kits. They only offer full re-cone kits, often at prices well over $100.00 each. If JBL offered the correct re-foam kits, then I would agree that the foam surrounds were replaceable. Now your only refoam choice is an aftermarket kit, at that doesn't sit well with me. I believe in quality products that last. That's why I love the 43XX JBL studio monitors. Short-lived surrounds don't follow this philosophy. JBL should not only make these foam surround kits available, but should make them, and authorized JBL service installation VERY inexpensive (maybe just slightly above cost)...as a way of saying "Thanks for using JBL and keeping or products going".

Tom

Steve Gonzales

depends

It depends on who you by your kit from (foam). I agree that there are low quality kits out there for sure. There are EXCELLENT ones too. Do your homework and ask around here on the LHS, or ask me. I have have 12 years on a pair of L166's and they where fresh as new so it all depends. As for the price suggestions, well, I wish that too, BUT we can wish in one hand and %^&* in another and see which one fills up first!

Steve Gonzales

What you get for the money

I have a Porsche, big deal, but I own one. I had to change the shocks after 12years and they are $1000.00 EACH pair!!. I could have got knock off's for a third of the price. I asked if they would make it handle as new and they said maybe, well, yeah, sort of. I layed out the $$ and now I'm back carving around corners like I should. Worth EVERY PENNY!! (Factory new)

You get what you pay for..

I never griped about the cost of recone kits...GETTING the kits was another matter, a repair center/JBL relationship issue that I won't go into here. Suffice it to say I don't deal with that center any more. But, I was surprised when a previous refoam job only lasted 3 years.

The trouble and expense of properly rehabing a JBL product is worth every minute of trouble and every penny of expense. It appears from my experience that having a genuine recone kit installed by a qualified service center is the way to go.

Peter

Most of the cheapo and even expensive alternatives do not have proper recone kits available. They wear out and will never be truly as new again. I am damn glad that JBL still makes recone kits available!

I was at a local repair shop and the guy was having to piecemeal a Franken woofer to repair an older $40K Wilson Audio WAMM. Wilson said that they no longer supported it!!! That's what $40K will buy you from someone else.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by pmakres1
    But, I was surprised when a previous refoam job only lasted 3 years.
    I hope after that experience you opted for a proper JBL recone kit. When properly installed by an authorized technician they come with a warranty.

Widget

Keep those kits coming!

Most of the cheapo and even expensive alternatives do not have proper recone kits available. They wear out and will never be truly as new again. I am damn glad that JBL still makes recone kits available!

Widget
    Agreed!! Go Widget!

I hope after that experience you opted for a proper JBL recone kit. When properly installed by an authorized technician they come with a warranty.

Widget
    Yes, I did.

Steve Gonzales

Still good one

Some people have great drivers with rotten foam. I had a pair of 2235H woofers that sat unused for 15 years in some sumo B380 knock-offs. New high quality foams were installed and wha-la. Ask porshedpm about them, they're good as new. Nothing is an absolute if you get the right supplier and installer.

Steve Gonzales

$$$

Sometimes $$$ factors in Mr.Giskard. Plain and simple. I for one have had to go with just quality foams at times. I do AGREE, JBL recone is the absolute BEST WAY to GO-- if it is in your budget to do so.

Steve Gonzales

what you get

God what an absolute BARGIN a Factory Recone kit is if you can lay out the cash!!!!.

Thread Information