Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The last pair of speakers I'm gonna buy (really!)...

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    I've suffered listening to maligning of JBL's such as the L300 since I learned to spell "audiophile". Like your tale, what is interesting is how the maligners react once they actually hear a pair of JBL's. Yeah, that's right... plenty of "audiophiles" running around out there talking trash about JBL's and they've yet to hear a pair.
    My favorite is "they're a good rock and roll speaker" as if to say "they can't do much other than boom and sizzle". I love the look on people's faces when I put on a string quartet or some acapella music (like Take6). Once they realize they have badly misjudged the speaker's capabilities, it's time for the knockout punch - spin up some vinyl and watch the smiles . When I finally do get around to rock, they're already in the bag and it's crow eating time.

I don't know how or where JBL ever got such a bad rap, but I'm a one man re-education force in the NorthEast working to change that...

jblnut

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by jblnut
    I don't know how or where JBL ever got such a bad rap, but I'm a one man re-education force in the NorthEast working to change that...

jblnut

bryantkenneth
    Took me 3 years to get my set....replaced my L-65s. Well actually the L-65s are sitting on top of the 300's...could not be happier! Well if I had more room for JBL seakers I might be happier, enjoy!

Exclamation hated it

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut
    My favorite is "they're a good rock and roll speaker" as if to say "they can't do much other than boom and sizzle".

jblnut
    Yeah, that condescending "compliment" is a real test of my nonviolent nature.

I once stopped in to a higher end store that prominently displayed the "JBL Authorized Dealer" banner in the window. When I asked what models they were stocking, I got a derisive snort followed by, "We don't carry JBL. It's more of a consumer model for people who don't understand the finer points of sound reproduction."

I felt like saying I've got a thought about human reproduction I'd like to share with you but since it's physically impossible, I let it pass. Instead I simply said, "I didn't come here to hear your arrogant and ignorant opinions. If you ever learn anything about your profession, give me a call."

Never got the call...
    Out.

Enjoyed your story.

Good post, Regis. I always like to hear the story that goes with a deal like that, and it's done us all good to hear yours because the exaltation comes through and it's infectious.

I share your appreciation of the speaker, though mine is not exactly the same (4333A). I've never heard your Sansui, but I understand it is a rare classic of the receiver genre. I usually listen to my 4333A's in my vinyl setup with a 60 wpc tube amp, but when I want to make them do their thing I plug in the CD player and hook up a 200 wpc McIntosh or even a pair of strapped 6260's if Miss Kitty is off visiting and I'm feeling particularly uncompromising, and then its, jeez, just glorious. These speakers have changed my mind about good low bass response--it's not optional.

I can't share your prediction that this is the last speaker, though. I know I want a big 4-way monitor, a 4344 or a 4345, or perhaps one of the later developments--K2 M9500, to be exact. But until then I'm enjoying the music.

Congratulations on a good score.

David

Steve Gonzales

Congrats!

Thank you for sharing that. Great big, beautiful JBL's, you gotta love it! Isin't that LE85/H92/L91 midrange wonderful?. Sweet 077's and Big BAD 136H bottom end with a beautiful enclosure. I've always loved the L300's. They don't call em' SUMMITS for nuthin'

Steve Gonzales
    Quote Originally Posted by Regis
    Thanks 57Belaire, but I'll stick with the foam. Giving some more thought to what Giskard says here

"...That reminds me... back in the day of the L212 it was said that nothing larger than a 12" was required in a home environment. Obviously the guys who wrote the L212 propaganda didn't read the concurrently published L300 propaganda..."

To get my highly modified L-150's to even come close (if they ever could get there), they had to work really, really hard. The L-300's produce the same amount of sound just idling at the stop light, much less putting any power to them. Once the 10 wpc line is crossed, the Summits just open up like a Holley Dominator and haul! The 15" does very, very well, producing effortless bass and have now achieved speaker nirvana. Can you say "Ohmmmm?
    I agree, 20 years is more than enough service life IMO. There is usually a big difference in FS between a foam and paper/pleated surround among other factors. I really love the difference it makes when you upgrade from a much smaller model. For me, it made my entire music collection new again . Kudo's to Mr. Giskard for his guidance, well done!

Me too...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gonzales
    Thank you for sharing that. Great big, beautiful JBL's, you gotta love it! Isin't that LE85/H92/L91 midrange wonderful?. Sweet 077's and Big BAD 136H bottom end with a beautiful enclosure. I've always loved the L300's. They don't call em' SUMMITS for nuthin'
    Ditto Steve...I've always loved 'em too. They wouldn't be right for my living room system (not tall enough) but I would still love to have a pair. Don't know where I'd put 'em, but I'd still love to have a pair, they are beautiful!

Peter

Regis:

Have you seen this? It's a repo but still might be nice

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...771317389&rd=1

This would be a good read

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    Regis:

Have you seen this? It's a repo but still might be nice

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...771317389&rd=1
    It would be nice if someone would scan one of their L300 manuals and post it here on the forum, like we recently did with the L220 manual. I don't own a pair but I still wouldn't mind reading the manual.

Peter

Regis

L-300 manuals

Thanks guys, but I actually have the download from the JBL site and while it's not as nice, it's still readable. Especially interesting is the part of how to pull the LE85 and not injure yourself... What I'd really like is an original brochure on these beasts.

Obsolete
    The Library one won't do?

Tom Loizeaux
    People should stop and think about what audio engineers and mixers want in their playback systems. JBL didn't design those speakers because they looked big! There's something about hearing (feeling) a quality 15" driver hit you with clean low end, and an upper midrange that makes you wonder if the artist is in the room - that so many people have never experienced.

Yes, I like my 4333s, but I listen to my 4343s...because they're just a little nicer!
    Anyway, it's good to hear from someone who's found real pleasure from a classic pair of JBL studio monitors.
    As far as "The last pair of speakers I'm going to buy"... well, enjoy these! You may find, however, that you want even more.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Loizeaux
    As far as "The last pair of speakers I'm going to buy"... well, enjoy these! You may find, however, that you want even more.

Tom
    I would not be surprised..
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Clifford

I'm the buyer of the Get Ready 3815.00 JBL L300's

I paid a premium for the Jbl speakers because I did not want to have to fix 25 year old speakers to make them like new. I have had previous jbl speakers repaired and it is very expensive. It is very hard to find speakers like these in any kind of condition and the ones I bought are all but new. Sonically they are stunning when playing back though my VAC SUPER AVATAR all tube integrated amplifier. For the price I paid I could have not bought a new pair from JBL. If the price 25 years ago was 1500 dollars if they made them now they would probably cost at least 10,000 for a pair. It's nice to buy something that does not have to be fixed. Yes I paid alot but there beautiful and need no servicing. Clifford

Quote Originally Posted by pmakres1
    Regis did you see how much that pair of L300's went for on eBay last night?

Get ready....$3,815.00.

Congratulations on your acquisition!

Peter
    Last edited by Clifford; 06-04-2005 at 06:53 AM. Reason: mispelled word

Thread Information