Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The last pair of speakers I'm gonna buy (really!)...

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Understood. The LE14H-3 and 1500AL look like good candidates.
    The LE14H-3 is relatively inexpensive and its potential remains largely untapped. I searched and did not find any reports of a project using these drivers.
    Out.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    The LE14H-3 is relatively inexpensive and its potential remains largely untapped. I searched and did not find any reports of a project using these drivers.
    It was carefully engineered to be an acoustical replacement for the LE14H-1. I have not taken the time to examine it's electrical characteristics so I am not certain it can be dropped into something like a 240Ti or 250Ti and "work" with the crossover networks.

At a glance it appears to be a bolt-in.

bryantkenneth
    Nice read...

Regis:

congrads on the 300's, yes they are nice,real nice. I'm sure that you will enjoy them for a long time. I did an A/B with the 4430's one time.

Nice score. By the way, what did they set you back if I may ask? and if you don't want to say that's Ok too. Just wondering out loud.

rick

Regis

I can hint about the price

The first price was almost ridiculous (just above L-65 territory, right about what a pair of L-7's or an L-212 system would regularly go for), but when I got down there, the guy told me he had already been fielding offers and wanted me to match the lowball figure. What was I gonna do? Visit da' ATM and pray it would spit out a thick stack of $20 bills (it did). For what I got them for, they were still under the radar. But I should add that I told the guy I wasn't interested in flipping them on Ebay either and that I'm a guy who's been passionate about JBL's for decades. They do need both pieces of glass replaced and the bases need to be rebuilt.

Interestingly enough, they were stacked under a pair of UREI time phased coax monitors. Bizarre blue cones stuck out of a flat pleated center cap in the woofer. The guy said "They screamed" and I believe it.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Regis
    they were stacked under a pair of UREI time phased coax monitors
    UNDER!? They should have been stacked on top!

They do need both pieces of glass replaced and the bases need to be rebuilt.
    No biggie, that's easy enough to fix. Sounds like you got a good deal, not a steal ( that's bad karma anyway), but a nice deal.

Bizarre blue cones stuck out of a flat pleated center cap in the woofer. The guy said "They screamed" and I believe it
    so do I

Lucky you on this, I'm sure you'll enjoy them for a long time. However, one word of warning....there's no such thing as "my last speaker". Some time down the road, you'll see something else............

Interestingly enough, they were stacked under a pair of UREI time phased coax monitors. Bizarre blue cones stuck out of a flat pleated center cap in the woofer. The guy said "They screamed" and I believe it.
    Actually, shoulda just made him an offer and taken them along too! That is the audioholic way.

Regis:

Here's something to make you think. A few weeks ago a man took his 300's into the mcintosh store and compared them side by side with the mac LS360 speakers ( their best non-array speaker). I just happen to be there ( lucky me)

Anyway, the sales people were were really putting the old JBL's down ( before they played them) saying how this guy would hear how much better the mac speakers would be, 25 years improvement

HOWEVER, once the 300's fired up everyones mouth dropped ( except mine of course). There was very little difference between the two. There were small differences but as to which one would be "better", beats me. I of course like the JBL's

By the way, the guy did buy the LS360's, but he also took his 300's back home.

something to think about.

Oh yes, I forgot to say..

All the parts in the 300's were original. Now the people at the mac store know me by name and they also know how I feel about JBL's.

anyway, I was talking to one of the sales people later and I said. You know if we put all new parts, electronics, wires etc into those 300's so as to make a true comparsion, the 300's would most likely stomp those LS360's.

nuff said

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    Anyway, the sales people were were really putting the old JBL's down ( before they played them) saying how this guy would hear how much better the mac speakers would be, 25 years improvement

HOWEVER, once the 300's fired up everyones mouth dropped ( except mine of course). There was very little difference between the two. There were small differences but as to which one would be "better", beats me. I of course like the JBL's
    I've suffered listening to maligning of JBL's such as the L300 since I learned to spell "audiophile". Like your tale, what is interesting is how the maligners react once they actually hear a pair of JBL's. Yeah, that's right... plenty of "audiophiles" running around out there talking trash about JBL's and they've yet to hear a pair.

Regis

I thought about it... but...

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake
    Actually, shoulda just made him an offer and taken them along too! That is the audioholic way.
    But he wanted $600 for the time-aligned little puppies. I figured my bank account suffered enough damage for one day . And from the appearance of them, I didn't want to damage the house. BTW, Is there a cure for this disease?

No cure Regis!!!

At least not that I have found. LOL

Ron sick audiophile and loving it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    I've suffered listening to maligning of JBL's such as the L300 since I learned to spell "audiophile". Like your tale, what is interesting is how the maligners react once they actually hear a pair of JBL's. Yeah, that's right... plenty of "audiophiles" running around out there talking trash about JBL's and they've yet to hear a pair.
    You hit the nail on the head Giskard . I've had to suffer with "audiophile bigots" many times. Seems like I'm really stupid... I like JBL's and Mac's - TOGETHER!!!!

However, if I can get them over to listen, their story changes ( for the most part) and if they don't come over, well here's my answer

mean while back at the ranch.... you have some great speakers Regis and with a little work they meet or beat the new ones.

BTW, Is there a cure for this disease?
    Of course there is a cure ... so don't worry yourself about this.

Simply buy more speakers when the "urge" hit's, it's so simple

Thread Information