Thread: Seville 847A vs. Klipsch Heresy

clmrt

Seville 847A vs. Klipsch Heresy

I know that neither are JBL, sorry....

I have a nice set of Sevilles, but there's a local ad for a pair of black Heresy's for $290. Tempted...

I saw that a pair of Seville's went for $800 recently - I was really suprised by that. Are my speakers really that good?

I saw that a pair of Seville's went for $800 recently - I was really suprised by that. Are my speakers really that good?
    - Nostalgia !

- I'd say, if you can get $800. for them / then sell them .

- Some people may really want those 16 ohm woofers for their tube amps .

- If I wanted a modern equivalent of that small mylar diaphragmed H3000 compression driver / I'd buy this driver made by B&C

- A modern 8 ohm equivalent to that woofer is available ( apparently ) from Iconic Speakers

<>
    Attached Images Attached Images  

clmrt
    Thanks for the response -

The PWK's sold, so I no longer need to worry about that...These Seville's are really nice up to about 80db but wether it's my room (likely) or the amplification (HK AVR and DVD, more likely) thet get out of control when pushed. And by pushed I mean a little bit - I'm not about to blow a 3000 tweeter for the sake of a good guitar solo.

Near-field they scare the pants off of me, very good sound. I love it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2 headed monster here...

For sound alone, I would go the Heresey route, but for looks, hard to beat the Seville's. In fact, I would replace the drivers in the Seville with some nice JBL drivers and leave the outer cosmetics the same.

Is the Seville the Altec 414 and 3000H tweeter system?

Ron

clmrt
    Yep - 414-16 in naked brass and the copper colored 3000. I was afraid the Heresy'd sound better. I hate upgrade-itis.

Quote Originally Posted by clmrt
    I know that neither are JBL, sorry....
    Even though it seems at times that this is a JBL site, Altec is certainly a major part of the Lansing Heritage... now Klipsch... that's another story.

I am surprised that you feel they are being pushed above 80dB. You should try (borrowing) different electronics to see if that might help.

Widget

clmrt
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    I am surprised that you feel they are being pushed above 80dB. You should try (borrowing) different electronics to see if that might help.

Widget
    The charachter of the sound seems to change as it gets louder. It may be me more than anything, but it sounds absolutely "sweet" at low vol. It's possibly software, too.

I just picked up CCR Live, and THAT sounds good loud, 95db peaks, but most other stuff doesn't. I have a vintage Allied receiver I can try...

System -

HK AVR110
    HK DVD5
    Sony CDP-291
    Pioneer PL-115d w/ Shure M91ED

Tube amps would make a world of a difference.

Both of these speaker systems are very sensative and don't always respond well to SS amps. With tubes, the soft sound quality that you are striving to get will be more obtainable.

IMHO

Ron

clmrt
    I might sell off a few things and try a nOrh SE-9. Here we go!

They read 11 ohms on the meter, by the way. Just in case it matters for amp selection.

Norh is a great economical amp...

I found some old stock Mullard EL34's and some nice sounding Sylvania green label 12AX7A's and left the 5AR4 Sovtek stock rectifier in there.

I am running the Norh SE-9 at present time in place of my Yamamoto 45 SET amp and Dehavilland Verve preamp to run my JBL 2426 and 399 on 311-60 horns.

It is a very neutral amp not to be confused with much more expensive amps, but does not suffer from the "listener fatigue" of most cheaper tube amps.

I have no problems listening to the Norh in my main setup, next winter the big $$$ pre/amp comes back out though. This is a space saving measure for the time being.

I think the Norh is a great investment. Is it still only $400.00 delivered????

Ron

clmrt

$450 Now

And I don't see anything about shipping. There's one on Agon, but I'd rather have a new one in case of hum issues (may be ground related, I have read...)

I think shipping is included (?)

You are right, it is best to buy new and get warranty for new one. The price is still damn good for one of these.

Much better than any other tube amp in that price range (AFIK)!

Ron

Thread Information