Thread: Non-Searching Newbie Question solution?

Regis

Non-Searching Newbie Question solution?

The recent "Nth" question of the LE5 versions and the subsequent responses about how to get the first time visitors to use the excellent "Search" feature here made me ponder this question. I believe I have come up with a method(s) that might work. I'm not sure if you can count posts or time since inception into the board, but if you have someone that has less than five posts or two weeks as a user, I propose having a pop-up box that would have the following statement or something similiar "Hello new user! Your JBL/Altec question is very likely to have been previously covered. Please use the "Search" function at the top of this page to research or validate your inquiries before submitting a question to any of the forums".

Quote Originally Posted by Regis
    The recent "Nth" question of the LE5 versions and the subsequent responses about how to get the first time visitors to use the excellent "Search" feature here made me ponder this question. I believe I have come up with a method(s) that might work. I'm not sure if you can count posts or time since inception into the board, but if you have someone that has less than five posts or two weeks as a user, I propose having a pop-up box that would have the following statement or something similiar "Hello new user! Your JBL/Altec question is very likely to have been previously covered. Please use the "Search" function at the top of this page to research or validate your inquiries before submitting a question to any of the forums".
    Excellent idea, we'll put that one in the melting pot.

Ian Mackenzie

Heck, I don't see why that should be limited to just "newbies". Even us old-timers sometimes just plod along and ask the same questions, sometimes...

There may be a very simple solution- DIYAudio uses the same message board as here (Vbulletin), and they have a BOX you HAVE to click, whenever you post a new thread, that asked "Have you searched?". If we were to phrase that like "Have you searched prior posts, to see if your JBL/Altec-related question may have already been answered?"... and if we could even put a LINK directly to the search in that caption, it might prod even some of us lazy old f**ts to search more often...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Gordons got it!

I was about to say the same thing about DIYaudio.

Well, having searched for a couple of hours now, I know of model 3, homebrews labeled V but relatively nothing of the speakers I have named myself for--YET. I also know I will eventually find them in the catalogs as I believe they would be 1975 models or similar vintage from memory research another pair I bought at auction locally. What I WON'T easily gather is repair information, but I WILL have a great deal of fun trying.

bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Yes, that helps...

But I need to know:

a-which 12" driver I am dealing with? One cone is badly damaged and was patched and they've both been stored somewhere only God would know. I haven't heard them (I told him that wouldn't be a good idea until it could be done in a controlled manner).

b-I will need to repair or replace a pot...

c-What is "Afromosian teak" as I have missing veneer in places?

d-Who would make a reasonable facsimile of the grilles?

Quote Originally Posted by Stonehenge Man
    a-which 12" driver I am dealing with?
    As I said, check with Todd (maybe by pm...?), or remove the LF and read the label on the motor.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information