Thread: Speaking of crossovers...

Speaking of crossovers...

Okay guys,

Steve's thread "It's in the crossover" pushed me over the edge to write this thread.

Though I've been a JBL nut for decades, I am new to the ins and outs of crossovers as well. I have four systems in my house, three of which have JBL speakers and subs. I have never been one to build my own speakers, leaving that to the qualified (JBL) engineers. I have been toying with the idea of, for the first time, designing and building a pair of speakers (with JBL components, of course!) myself for that one system that has non-JBL speakers. I had been thinking of this for a while, but this forum has intensified the desire.

My question is this: the crossovers that I see in the JBL components catalogs all seem to be 2-way units. I'm thinking of building a three or possibly even a four-way tower system with a fairly small footprint. Are there some JBL crossovers similar to say, the LX series, or would I be basically looking to see what networks I can find that have been parted out from a three or four-way system?

I'm not in a huge hurry here; I'm not even working right now so I'm not looking to buy the components just yet. But, I've never let money issues get in the way of my dreams as far as designing-it doesn't cost me anything to design. But, I wonder if you guys could give me some tips on what options I may have for a three or four way network. Keep in mind they should be a of a fairly compact physical size. I'm just looking for some general guidance at this point. (I may or may not have posted this thread in the correct forum...)

Thanks guys,

Peter

There are no appropriate "generic" networks; they are specific to the particular drivers and driver combinations used in the design.

You need to settle that part first, along with your mounting configuration. Are you gonna use a cone midrange or a compression driver? What horn? A dome tweeter or a ring radiator? A mid-bass driver? An extended-bass woofer?

Three- and four-way crossover designs have been THE primary crossover discussion topic in this forum since its inception, and actual two-way systems comprise a minority of JBL offerings.

The vintage JBL component crossovers were used in combinations to make multi-way systems. A 3110 goes with a 3105 to make a three-way at 800 and 7000 Hz, for example. You want the HF boost of 3110A if you're using a constant directivity horn, 3120(A) if you want to cross at 1200 Hz, instead, 3106 for 8000 Hz....

http://www.jblproservice.com/navigat...chematics.html

See also:

http://www.jblproservice.com/navigat...%20Series.html

"Keep in mind they should be a of a fairly compact physical size. I'm just looking for some general guidance at this point. (I may or may not have posted this thread in the correct forum...)

Thanks guys,"

Hello Peter

Could you define what that means is cubic feet?? You plan on using a sub??? That is one aspect that will limit your choices especially if your not going to use a sub. As far a bass drivers you have the 2235 5-6 cubic ft, Le-14 3-4 cubic ft and the 12's 122a, 128h-1, 2214 2-3.5 cubic ft. Those enclosure sizes are a range that can give you decent low end.

Grab a box program like Win Isd and start working the numbers. That way you can see first hand what drivers will give you and what to expect for a certain volume and driver.

http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=winisd

Rob

Thread Information