Thread: RABOS

RABOS

My Infinity RABOS kit arrived today, and since I had the house to myself, I did some measurements. Results below. The kit consists of a sound level meter and a CD with lots of test tones. It only covers the bass range from 20 to 100 hz. There are noise tracks that you are supposed to use to balance the subwoofer with the system. There are also several sheets to graph the results, I promptly scanned one into the computer so that I can save the originals. These kits are available to anyone who wants one, here
    This accesory is not intended to be used with a system like mine, I'm not even using a subwoofer right now. And I can tell that if I try to correct the response to be flatter in the center of the room, (where I measured) I'm just going to create problems elsewhere in the room. But it's been fun and interesting, and maybe I can use this to improve my speaker positioning and listening chair position. I'll fool with it more over the next few months. If I manage to make any improvements, I'll post another chart later.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hello Don

Thanks for the link! Have you tried the Stereophile spread sheet for room modes??

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/news/10388/index.html

Rob

I did that, but I don't know what to do with the data. It's not annotated and I can't really figure out what it's trying to tell me. Also, my ceiling is vaulted and not symetrical, so the ceiling data doesn't calculate properly.

Hello Don

Having a vaulted ceiling kind of throws the data out the window. What you do is you put in your room's dimensions and a location in the room. What you end up with are all the room modes at that location and the spacing between the nodes in octave increments. All you need to do is drop-in your listenning position measurements and see what you get. It works real well in a rectangular room. There is a how too article up on the site that explains how to use it. You can do speaker locations as well, any point in the room including height. You can use the spread sheet to find the best placement for your speakers and you. Then you can confirm with measurements if you have the capabillity. It's a blast to work with and you can also see how relatively small dimensional changes in a room do a lot to either give you a gem or a bear to work with. I used it to confirm I had the best placement in my room and when I put in locations I had known issues with it was confirmed in the spreadsheet.

Rob

Thread Information