Thread: 24 Hour Party People

24 Hour Party People

For those who don't know, the title refers to a movie released in 2002 (and a Happy Monday's song). I mentioned it previously in the thread "Lansing Speakers in Films and TV" where I thought I had spotted a pair of 4333's. Turns out they were L300's - see below.

The reason I bring it up now is that, this weekend, I had some rare time to sit down and watch movies for an afternoon. I had just seen the DVD for 24 Hour Party People for sale at a local shop and decided to buy it. Previously, I had seen this film on a cable station around six months ago and have never come across it again. The first viewing had left me intrigued and wanting more. I have now spent six hours with this DVD, first watching the movie through in its entirety and then twice again with the two commentary tracks. This film has proven to be the best I have seen in at least the last year.

The movie is about the Manchester music scene from 1976 to 1992. It covers the birth of punk rock, its evolution to house music and origin of the rave phenomenon. It is a fictionalized account, but based on facts and people involved in that evolution. It mixes archival footage of actual performances liberally throughout the movie. It is comedic in tone, but I think it does it a disservice to label it a comedy.

The story centers around a real life personality, Tony Wilson. Tony was a local television announcer that publicized punk rock music when no one else would on English television. He went further with his establishment of Factory records and the Hacienda night club as a venue for his acts. Joy Division, New Order and Happy Mondays were the best known groups he fostered and published under his Factory label.

What I like most about this move is how it captures a sense of time and place for a unique era in modern music. There is nothing that seems false or out of place. I knew little about the background of this era and the movie was a fascinating insight into the genius, circumstance and blind chance that led to both the rise and ultimate fall of the Manchester music scene.

The most fascinating aspect of the DVD is the commentary track by the actual Tony Wilson (the producer/actor commentary is pretty much a waste of time). Tony goes to great pains to point out specific incidents depicted in the movie that he states never happened. However, from what he does confirm, those incidents were in no way "false" and seem to be quite apt metaphors for either the people or times they represent.

I can't say enough about the performance of the lead actor. Steve Coogan plays Tony Wilson in one of most inspired performances I've seen. He looks nothing like the actual Tony Wilson, but after seeing interviews with the latter, he captures his personality exactly. The music has great appeal. If you are at all a New Order, Iggy Pop, Joy Division, Clash fan, I can't imagine not liking this movie.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Nice to see they removed the lenses to give the L300s just that extra bit of "edge".

I'll have to Netflix it and check it out...

Widget

Wow, I thought I was the only "punk rock refugee" here.

I've seen all the "Decline of Western Civilization" movies (the first of which, does a pretty good job of encapsulating the American punk scene, in what sounds like a somewhat similar fashion), but never got around to "24 Hour Party People".

I'll definitely have to check it out. Maybe I can con one of my friends into getting it for me for my birthday next mont...

Regards,
    Gordon.

bryantkenneth
    Right on Don..

I listen to punk rock all the time through my 300's! Very cool...hey Gord have not heard anyone mention "Decline of Western Civilization" since the 80's very cool reference...can I get a copy?

It would actually be cool to survey what forum members are listening to or too and in what format...i.e vinyl, tube, and speaker type...good stuff man.

minor threat, dead kennedy's, black flag?

Quote Originally Posted by bryantkenneth
    It would actually be cool to survey what forum members are listening to or too and in what format...i.e vinyl, tube, and speaker type...good stuff man.

minor threat, dead kennedy's, black flag?
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=2724

Thread Information