Thread: Help with Lancers, anyone?

Question Help with Lancers, anyone?

Hi folks:

My first post here, at the JBL site. Until recently, I ran only Klipsch stuff (horns etc., ala Wilber, instead of Jim). Looks like a great forum here as well.....

A few weeks ago I bought some ‘sort of’ Lancer S99 speakers. ($100 for both ) Both are the unpowered version. They indeed are Lancer cabinets with the logo on the back of the speaker cab, with the LE14a, LE20-1, LX4-1 crossovers and yes, intact carved wood grills. Very happy! Sounds great even with original surrounds!

However.... SOMEONE stuck a third driver in there for the mids. I have yet to figure out what the pedigree of those is. Sounds good tho. I need to dig into the cabinets to find out what they are and how they are hooked up to the Xover. That is going to be a long term project along with fixing any problems I find.

SO: Some questions, if you are willing to help this mere infant in JBL technology.....

1. Replacing the binding posts: The JBL Professional website has the part numbers I need to replace these, which are totally destroyed. Question is, can an individual like me order parts from them? Other components I can replace if needed (caps, etc.). I'm not bad with a soldering iron.

2. Also need to get the JBL logos for the grills. Those are long gone, but I can see from where they were attached that they were probably the ones that look like an exclamation point with the L inside the circle. Anyone have a clue where to get those?

3. Any advise at all on getting these back into condition will be very welcomed. Or, just leave ‘em alone?

Thanks much
    Jim in AZ

The midrange driver is not a bad idea, if it was integrated properly.

Look up recent posts by member jackgiff for his similar modification of S99.

Pics would help, but my first question is what did they do about the port?

Is that where they put the mid driver?

Hi Zilch:

Port is in original position. Midrange is (as I recall) completing a triangle with the HF and port. It is not a big driver that was installed. Will take some pics tonight, then try and figure out how to post them. They did a decent job.

Thanks for directing me to the posts by jackgiff....

Cheers,
    Jim

Thread Information