Thread: D130s

analogman

D130s

Hello again,
    Have a chance to buy two cabinets with untouched since installation D130s (I can see them through the grill cloth). Can't tell if the cabs have tweeters and crossovers or not. I will have to buy these blind and as is, for $150.00. My questions are: what type of surround did the D130s have, my 130As have the pleated paper surround as you well know. Also, when the D130 was used as a "full range" driver did it still require a network. The boxes have captive zip cord coming out the back, and are being sold at an estate sale which is being conducted like a yard sale.
    I need some help pretty quick, my window for a decision is about 24 hours. Thank you for your help and consideration.
    Analogman

D130 has pleated surrounds. Cloth or paper, I'm not sure.

No network if it is used "full range," i.e., without other drivers.

Check completed auctions on eBay for what they're selling at currently.

analogman
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    D130 has pleated surrounds. Cloth or paper, I'm not sure.

No network if it is used "full range," i.e., without other drivers.

Check completed auctions on eBay for what they're selling at currently.
    Thanks Zilch,
    Analogman

Thumbs up

Having replaced my vintage 1973 D130s just last week, the edges have what appears to be a rubberize cloth and not paper. The D130 is an extended range driver and is usually teamed up with a 075 ring radiator and N2400 cross-over to form a 030 system.

D130s from the earliest ones c. 1947 used a paper edge cone with a double roll surround, Hawley part number 130202. Later on (sometime in the 1960s) the cone edges were treated with some sort of black treatment. I have seen late D130s with cloth accordian surround, but I'm not sure whether these were reconed or not.

D130s used as full range speakers typically used no dividing network. The paper surrounds are sometimes cracked and fatigued on the earlier ones, depending on how hard they have been driven.

Thread Information