Thread: Digital Room Correction

Digital Room Correction

I was looking at that horn system and was wondering if any of you have had any experience with the TACT system??

Niklas Nord
    I have been using TacT, and some of my friends has the
    2.0, 2.2, 2.2x and the TCS.

On the shows, TacT always sound right to me couse the
    rooms at the shows tend to be rather difficult to obtain
    a sound that sounds ok in. The TacT corrects this.

Itīs hard to do anything in the bass range with tube traps
    and such things, but the TacT does it really nice.

Then the Parametric EQ letīs you correct the curve "almost"
    as you want it to be..

I like TacT, it can be really difficult to use, one has to know
    the things associated with room acoustics. Or else itīs just
    a painting course with a high price tag.

I use the RCS2.2X with the S2150 power amp and am delighted with the results. I cannot envisage getting this quality in my room without this kit. I have compared it with some of the top high end exotica, and without the Room Correction, they lose out big time.

I will be using the crossover facility with my new 1500AL subs. The DSP generated crossovers supplied for this project use 2084 points and 100 orders. Along with time alignment and effective phase correction, I have yet to hear a better way of integrating subs.

I disagree that it's hard to use. There is a very active user group, plus the latest software has an easy setup wizard that gets everyone up and running. Getting everything perfect to your ears does however take longer, still, you learn much along the way.

Anyway, one happy punter (as we say over here!)

Niklas Nord
    Well you have to know about room acoustics to
    use this unit. Or else the end result can be mouch
    worse than it was before..

Originally posted by Niklas Nord
    Well you have to know about room acoustics to
    use this unit. Or else the end result can be mouch
    worse than it was before..
    Sorry Niklas,

I don't know what version your friends are using, but in my experience, simply running the setup wizard and entering one of the new preset curves will bring considerable improvements in most circumstances. Maybe you are unfamiliar with thew newer generation software.

Niklas Nord
    Well yes, the software has improved alot.

I haven't heard the Tact system, but I have heard the Sigtech, which I believe works on the same principle. The Sigtech is marketed as a digital room correction device. It calculates the transform function of the loudspeaker/room and modifies the input to contain the inverse, thus cancelling out their effects. Unlike an equalizer that only works in the frequency domain, these devices also work in the time domain and this can deal with room effects like standing waves that no equalizer can totally remedy.

Contrary to what has been asserted above, my understanding is that little acoustic knowledge is required to effectively use these systems. A calibrated mike is placed at the listening position that feeds into the system, which is really a dedicated purpose computer. The computer calculates the transfer function and this is stored by the device. As long as speaker and room conditions remain constant, the device will work with no further intervention. However, change the speaker postion, listening position, or room accoustics (such as changing the furniture in the room) and you'll have to rerun the setup.

I think they work great for their intended purpose. They really can eliminate room modes and other very difficult accoustic problems. However, there is one significant limitation. The transfer function is only valid at the microphone position. In other words, outside of a rather restrictive listening position, the response is completely different. It can turn your system into the worlds most expensive headphones
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Thread Information