Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to modernize?

Time to modernize!

Sometimes, in life, we must accept that things are no longer as they use to be. Such a time is at hand for me, and Im considering brands, and models of new, factory made and engineered complete full range systems! Unfortunately, parts for some vintage speakers are no longer available, and what you can get is not the same as it was, so, change is inevitable!

JBL! Their custom shop makes a complete full range enclosure called the Dance5, with its triple 14in woofers, horn loaded cone midrange, and HF horn/driver! A fairly large cabinet, I would need six of these if I chose JBL, and what Im asking is anyone who has experience with this line, what do you think? Or do you have other suggestions? ( would be nice to keep it !JBL if I like this box )

Other considertations are EAW,s DC-1 and KF-850,s!

Space is a limiting factor in my room as I cannot exceed 30in cabinet depth, and approximately 47in height!

I have heard JBl,s CMCD,s in other pro reinforcement cabinets, and I do think their cone mid compression drivers have that dynamic snap that so typifies the JBL sound!

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/cspels/Dance5%205-5-03.pdf
    scottyj

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"

Just another option...

JBL has made a stack called the V1 main (V for vinyl the nightclub the were originally built for)... they were mentioned and pictured in the CSI (club systems international) issue that presented all the club world nominations a coupla months ago...

don't know if they are too big though, I'll look up the details for you if you don't have the magazine.....

I have heard them first-hand, very impressive sound system at that place....

***edit*** even better;
    here is a link

http://www.clubworldawards.com/nominee05.htm

Interesting!

That JBL V1 is quite similar to the Avalon DC-1 from EAW! And EAW,s cab is even heavier, weighing in at 401lbs! But its only 26in deep, which I can accomodate!

Ive never seen the V1 or heard it so I dont know much anything about it! It does look interesting!

Have you heard them? If so, what were your impressions?
    scottyj

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"

IMHO vinyl has the best sound in Denver right now...

don't know if I could isolate it to just the V1s, but the system they have is NICE....

I will post around the local boards and try to catch up with one of the residents there and ask him to email his impressions to me, which I will forward to you (if little mike replies)....

Hmm!

Woulda thought I would see a bit more opinion concerning JBL speakers! Even if they are primarily designed for club use, its still JBL!

Im sure IF I say Im putting in 24 pairs of L100,s that would stir up some comments!

scottyj

Louped!

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv
    JBL has made a stack called the V1 main (V for vinyl the nightclub the were originally built for)... they were mentioned and pictured in the CSI (club systems international) issue that presented all the club world nominations a coupla months ago...

don't know if they are too big though, I'll look up the details for you if you don't have the magazine.....

I have heard them first-hand, very impressive sound system at that place....

***edit*** even better;
    here is a link

http://www.clubworldawards.com/nominee05.htm
    Just for the sake of comparison!

check this out;
    http://www.eaw.com/products/DC1.html
    scottyj

pelly3s
    now what exactly are you using them for and what size room... if it is for a club you really cant beat the DC1, 4 of them with 4 to 6 DSC2's the KF850's have such a long throw that its a little uncalled for in a club.

My room!

My Bumper car room, is 90`L x 50`W, so six DC-1,s should do. I agree long throw isnt the issue in here! As for the DSC2 horn sub, I cant use it because of its 36" cabinets depth! 30in max because of my catwalks around the perimeter of track!

Im also looking at the JBL Dance5, which is also designed for High Output club sound with lots of low frequency punch!

For subwoofer use, I am considering the EAW SB528z, two cabinets per stack location, and a cluster of 4 cabinets on the wall across from the DJ/Operating booth! And high power to drive them properly! Total of 12 double 18in loaded tuned vented boxes!

My 4 JBL center hung clusters of bullet tweeters will remain!

I have heard the KF850,s used at clubs, though, and they were impressive, and even though I agree they are really concert/arena speakers, they really did sound good! Which is why its even a consideration of mine!

scottyj

pelly3s
    6 would kill that.... we have a club with 4 of them and its way too much in there and its a huge club (2500 people). I would say T-Class boxes by community but they are like 3 inches too deep. I do love the Avalons though. yeah do 6 just so its loud

Yup SIX!

Quote Originally Posted by pelly3s
    6 would kill that.... we have a club with 4 of them and its way too much in there and its a huge club (2500 people). I would say T-Class boxes by community but they are like 3 inches too deep. I do love the Avalons though. yeah do 6 just so its loud
    Six cabs, in an inverted W stereo pattern, equal coverage around the entire room! This gives me the ability to NOT have to push the system very hard, as you have coverage everywhere! BUT, when you do have those moments you want to PEAK the room, you got the horsepower to deliver without compromise!

scottyj

pelly3s
    i wanna see that when its done lol. right now i'm working on a church with a double 18, a double 15 + 2" and a single 15 + 2" per side. Its a mix of JBL and the new Wharfdale boxes which kick ass for the money. Well I cant say much for the JBL Dance5 boxes only heard them a couple times. They didnt do what the Avalons did

Yeah, I knew that would come up!

Quote Originally Posted by pelly3s
    i wanna see that when its done lol. right now i'm working on a church with a double 18, a double 15 + 2" and a single 15 + 2" per side. Its a mix of JBL and the new Wharfdale boxes which kick ass for the money. Well I cant say much for the JBL Dance5 boxes only heard them a couple times. They didnt do what the Avalons did
    I hear what you hear! We have a room here in NYC with the JBL Dance5,s and I agree, they didnt.....
    scottyj

pelly3s
    good so i'm not the only one... now you know what you have to do lol

Yet another solution, maybe!

Pelly, what do you think of having custom built vented, front loaded horns, tuned for the JBL 2226H?

This would allow me to keep my JBL2395/2441,s and 2404 tweeters.

Horns could be constructed that would be big enough to fill my room with sound, yet sizable enough to fit my space limitations! I have seen many makers of this type of horn using the JBL 2226H where the depth of the cabinet does not exceed 30in! Most are around 26in depth and 35in height and around 45in width, and that would be fine for me! Lens horns could fit ontop of such boxes as they are ontop of Altec 815,s and 817,s now!

Economically speaking, which is and isnt a consideration, sonics are the first and foremost consideration, this would be easy for me to accomplish! Horns and tweets I already have, all I would need are the enclosures, 3 amps of proper power, and about 10 more 2226,s!

If this could work, it would keep me in the family JBL!

scottyj

Hey Scott, how far down do you need the 2226s to go? Would 100Hz be OK, or do you need a lower crossover point?

Widget

Thread Information