Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Call for Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    Just call me Darwin of the JBL Legacy - we need to upgrade our species and experience higher and more evolved forms of fine JBL engineering...
    I have just been reviewing all the posts.

Are you sure about this?...says the cop on the street corner

I do recall this caused a melt down in V 2 or V 3 of the forums over the L100.

You do remember the L100 lover don't you!

Ian

Agree sort of

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    Just call me Darwin of the JBL Legacy - we need to upgrade our species and experience higher and more evolved forms of fine JBL engineering...
    The L100 most would agree is not the crowning achievement of JBL technology. Not that it was the worst speaker JBL ever produced. The one thing it did do is put JBL on the consumer map. Without the hype that surronded it, many of our members might never of heard of JBL There are some people who are fond of their L100s for both nostaligic and there are some who love the sound.

Back to the point: The audio industry is evolving by leaps and bounds. It's taking a lot of self control not to buy a DEQX now (even if it is made in Austalia hehehe). This is an instrument while not a cure all goes a long way in correcting some of the issues with loudspeaker design that has plagued us for years.

JBL too is evolving but at times I'm not sure where too. Drivers like the 435Be of the 1400nd show great advances but are not available to the normal American Consumer. I understand the marketing bottom line but it would be nice to be able to taste test and work with these and other fine new drivers especially to the people who are trying to get the word out about JBL.

Anyway the future does look bright for audio, having said that there are many of the old drivers and configurations that can now produce excellent results with the advance in active filters, DSP processing, phase correction and charged coupled crossovers. Heck we may find with enough evolution in electronics that indeed the L100 was the finest speaker after all.
    Waiting for the bullets to Fly

AL

Your right Al,

Actually Don has posted an excellent account of the L100 Legacy previously and its certainly worth a search.

Speaking as a forum member here (not the moderator) I own a pair myself and they are a delightful system although I equally respect the more advanced designs, its kinda fun to play both at various times.

I while back I made a series of posts in a L100 thread debating the merits of the L100 as a reference to ascertain the effect of modifications to some class A amps I was building at the time.

To the surprise of even myself the L100 was able to dstinguish subtle changes to the design so there is some credence to your closing comments.
    However, the fact that it can pick out differences does not necessarily mean its the best system on the line up, frankly no.

Maybe the Widget can program his DEXQ on the L100 and give use some feedack sometime.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by alskinner
    JBL too is evolving but at times I'm not sure where too. Drivers like the 435Be of the 1400nd show great advances but are not available to the normal American Consumer. I understand the marketing bottom line but it would be nice to be able to taste test and work with these and other fine new drivers especially to the people who are trying to get the word out about JBL.
    Don has mentioned in passing that JBL Consumer has asked permission to link to our site and discussion forums. Perhaps with this connection the bean counters will see just how vibrant our community is and realizing JBL's roots in DIY make some of these fine new products available to consumers.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Maybe the Widget can program his DEXQ on the L100 and give use some feedack sometime.
    If I get real bored... it certainly can be done, and I am sure it would improve the speakers, but I can't imagine any amount of correction helping that tweeter. I think the 166 or newer designs would be better... actually there are quite a few JBL designs from the '60s and '70's that used excellent drivers but have less than stellar networks and may have a peak or two to be tamed and benefit from time alignment...

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    If I get real bored... it certainly can be done, and I am sure it would improve the speakers, but I can't imagine any amount of correction helping that tweeter. I think the 166 or newer designs would be better... actually there are quite a few JBL designs from the '60s and '70's that used excellent drivers but have less than stellar networks and may have a peak or two to be tamed and benefit from time alignment...

Widget

You mean the tweeter that more often than not has been poked in!

Ahaha that tweeter...inverted dome tweeters anyone?

Ian

...but it doesn't affect performance!

Those poor tweeters....

Umm, are ordinary members allowed in this thread?

Anyway,

...but it doesn't affect performance!
    (but they sure look like crap when they're pushed in!)

Well it did with mine, but that was after I pulled it out with a hooked needle..mistake

Now reconed.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by pmakres1
    (but they sure look like crap when they're pushed in!)
    I was being sarcastic... that is the common eBay line. Of course it affects performance!

Widget

I was being sarcastic... that is the common eBay line. Of course it affects performance!

Widget
    YoYoa, so you said that on purpose!! Umar.

I'll have you know I played one them that way for about a year and thought they were wonderful...and it wasn't till I attempted repairs I notice the HF diminished in one channel.....You can just see the pushed in tweeter on the left L100 below.

Kinda spoiled the superb imaging they are capable of as you know....Muhahahaha .......and then spent 6 months bidding on Ebay without success until I found a recone kit on Ebay.

About to play them on .....you guessed it Yuri's PSS 600 amp he sent me.

How about I review them....just for old time sake

Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We want them run on CLIO as well.

Let's see how they compare to Project May....

Quote Originally Posted by alskinner
    Heck we may find with enough evolution in electronics that indeed the L100 was the finest speaker after all.
    Hey, Al...

The dirty little secret is the DEQX was invented to make the Bose sound good. An L100 would be a cakewalk...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Hi Bo

I
    I too was being a little sarcastic about the L100. As said before there are people who love them and I'm glad for them. But what would you expect from a guy trying to morph an Altec A7/2360 together, which is coming along but have a lot of work to do yet. Anyway, thanks to all you guys for the camaraderie. By the way here is something the new moderators might use to stop quarrels in the future
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Amusing and comic,

I'll let you lot tip to through the tulips while I take a weeks holiday.

Bye

Ian

Thread Information