Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Call for Moderators

Obsolete
    My reason for suggesting moderators was due to the fact the Robh3606 or Mr. Widget could have prevented further posts and moved the exchange offline. They were both in attendance. They are perfectly aware of the difference between a heated exchange and a full blown confrontation.

Certain posts were made, very early on, and the authors could have been asked by a moderator for clarification and modification. I think moderators are required as this site continues to slip from being the place to go for top notch information and technical expertise to just another yammerfest on the net.

The other day I received a PM with something like "This site has changed, I think you know what I mean." That was it. Nothing more. This from a perspective of years, not months. Yes indeed it has changed... I'm hoping we can reverse the current trend while still making this site "fun". I think we can. There is a plethora of serious talent on this site. Some have never posted and in the current climate they never will. I'm not talking about people who blow in here and make inflamatory remarks out of the clear blue and make statements as to why they've never posted here, I'm talking about the real deal. Those guys wouldn't currently waste a nanosecond blowing in here to post anything whatsoever. I know that I have spent an insane amount of time and effort trying to provide all manner of information, support, and product to those who have a real interest in such things. At this point I have to ask "Why? What the hell was I thinking?"

I'm not going to elaborate, to do so would mean I could leave this post up for about five nanoseconds before deleting it. - This site has the potential to explode in the coming months. The wealth of real, factual, technical and historical information here is already staggering. The very companies who created the information now come here to reference that information. I would imagine it could increase by an order of magnitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    There is a plethora of serious talent on this site. Some have never posted and in the current climate they never will... I'm talking about the real deal. Those guys wouldn't currently waste a nanosecond blowing in here to post anything whatsoever. I know that I have spent an insane amount of time and effort trying to provide all manner of information, support, and product to those who have a real interest in such things. At this point I have to ask "Why? What the hell was I thinking?"

This site has the potential to explode in the coming months. The wealth of real, factual, technical and historical information here is already staggering. The very companies who created the information now come here to reference that information. I would imagine it could increase by an order of magnitude.
    Beauty, dood!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Exclamation OK, listen up, no limits on posting length or I'm scewed.

I think moderators are required as this site continues to slip from being the place to go for top notch information and technical expertise to just another yammerfest on the net.

The other day I received a PM with something like "This site has changed, I think you know what I mean." That was it. Nothing more. This from a perspective of years, not months. Yes indeed it has changed... I'm hoping we can reverse the current trend while still making this site "fun". I think we can. There is a plethora of serious talent on this site. Some have never posted and in the current climate they never will. I'm not talking about people who blow in here and make inflamatory remarks out of the clear blue and make statements as to why they've never posted here, I'm talking about the real deal. Those guys wouldn't currently waste a nanosecond blowing in here to post anything whatsoever. I know that I have spent an insane amount of time and effort trying to provide all manner of information, support, and product to those who have a real interest in such things. At this point I have to ask "Why? What the hell was I thinking?"

I'm not going to elaborate, to do so would mean I could leave this post up for about five nanoseconds before deleting it. - This site has the potential to explode in the coming months. The wealth of real, factual, technical and historical information here is already staggering. The very companies who created the information now come here to reference that information. I would imagine it could increase by an order of magnitude.

As one of the probable yammerers and one of the likely suspects in the "This site has changed, I think you know what I mean." lineup, I have a couple of observations I'd like to share. Okay, I will.

One, the perpetuation of a heritage requires two things: 1) eyewitnesses, experts, and participants in the real time heritage event who share what they saw, learned, and did; and 2) students, aficianados, and fans who are drawn to the heritage by sharing in some way the experience of those in 1) and who want to learn, see, and do the same kind of things, even if vicariously through the expertise of others.

Without both, the heritage will be lost. That's why I can read Dante today, read hundreds of books about him and his works, and talk with thousands of Dante fans worldwide, even hundreds of years after his death.

Two, new blood in a group will always tend to dilute it or at least press its comfort zone. So, I yammer away about newer stuff more than most veterans would, but IMO it helps to keep the heritage as a living thing, rather than a sacrosanct relic from a few golden years.

What can be debilitating, though, is the casual surfer who pops in with a moronic or inflammatory post, then flits out to cause trouble elsewhere; or worse, someone who's been booted or shunned off a forum and tries to find refuge on another site.

Just to be clear, I'm not taking Giskard's comments personally, but I am speaking for the new blood and the idea of growth and change, while respecting the legacy. Giskard, Earl K, Ian, Steve(s), Widget, and so many others have helped and inspired me immensely. Plus, I've reveled in the ribald humor from time to time and the general lack of prudishness.

I'd hate to see this place become another dopey forum filled with moronic comments and boneheaded questions, almost as much as I'd hate to see it become another bastion of politically correct, sanitized, dogmatic, moderated, sanctimonious, censored discussion. With the correct amount of moderation (pun intended), we can avoid both.

And Giskard, what the hell were you thinking? I hope you were thinking that sharing is a good thing and that it's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness. People look up to you and respect your opinions and even trust you, in part because you're not a high maintenance prima donna. You're just a great guy.
    Out.

"I know that I have spent an insane amount of time and effort trying to provide all manner of information, support, and product to those who have a real interest in such things. At this point I have to ask "Why? What the hell was I thinking?"

Speakers are fascinating things for some of us, and yield satisfaction. There are bad approaches, good approaches, and better approaches, and you apparently like to help define what the better approaches are. This site is a generally enjoyable ongoing discourse in furthering our knowledge of something we like and admire. Hey, these things are ADDICTIVE!!
    I mean, lets take a comparison to SEX! Men not only like it, they also TALK about it!! HA! Too bad we can't improve the frequency (of) response in that arena!

the big relief

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie
    Recent events have proven that there is the need for forum moderators beyond just myself. I cannot be on line all of the time and quite frankly, find it impossible to even read every post (we are approaching 200 posts per day). .....................
    Hi Don, Hi All,
    now that some load is gone.......let' talk about how one (or two) special forumites can help you to fill the library with the new stuff.
    As we all know, your pay job is still existing and needs a lot of time.
    Is this worth to discuss it? What do you think about?

HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

Sex...?

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake
    Too bad we can't improve the frequency (of) response in that arena!
    Yea, I agree.

But I think I know what my problems are...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Excellent summary Ti Dome,

These thoughts may help will help Don shape the Forum of Today and Tomorrow.
    I think we need to look further than the traditional Forum model for a structure that will accommodate everyone.

Perhaps there needs to be a Yammer / newbie lounge or chat room where new blood or who ever can shoot the breeze without blowing off the egg heads.

We could also layer some of the forums to isolate the catagories you have identified or even idenfity the status of a member in a more obvious way.

Prevention as alway is better than a cure.

Ian

Talking high/low frequency

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake
    lets take a comparison to SEX! Men not only like it, they also TALK about it!! HA! Too bad we can't improve the frequency (of) response in that arena!
    I've spent a lot of time trying to get lower and lower frequencies in one and higher frequencies in the other. Unfortunately, I keep getting it reversed: higher frequencies in audio and lower frequencies in sex.

Yet, how can I complain, as this photo illustrates my high/low frequency projects?
    Out.

Cut back on the Dominos

Quote Originally Posted by BoPutnam
    Yea, I agree.

But I think I know what my problems are...
    Yeah, you really should trim the beard dude.
    And, I really hate to say it, but maybe a few less pizza deliveries...

Arrow Yammer Central

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie

Perhaps there needs to be a Yammer / newbie lounge or chat room where new blood or who ever can shoot the breeze without blowing off the egg heads.

Ian
    Ian, I run into guys (and gals) all over the net who are nuts about their JBLs--their Northridge E Series or their Studio Series or their SCS or their HLS series stuff. Predictably they get nailed by sods who brag about their Rockets/Axioms/Ascends/Meridians/Polks/Sonus Fabers/Delecto Inflagrante Supremos or whatever. When I can I back them up and give them some public support, but I really wish I had somewhere to send them.

However, I hesitate to send them here, and usually I don't. Not only would it be an imposition on the form and substance of this site, but it'd open them up to a different kind of ridicule, I think. Who wants to be a second class citizen in his own country?

So the idea of an active forum for the lower end consumer style products, perhaps modeled differently and offering an introduction to the Lansing Heritage is a great idea. Also, it's likely to be some extra work for somebody. I'd be up for helping do that.

After all, your bastard children are still your children, right Mr. Jefferson?
    Out.

Moderation

I really don't know what went on with the post that caused all this, just bits and pieces, but I have come to regard most members with respect. Not that I don't disagree and have at times been tempted to bang out a quick curt reply because my emotions were getting the best of me.

Don, has done a tremendous job at keeping the forum on track and without his guidance I feel the Forum would have headed south long ago. I do agree that he needs some backup since the forum has grown exponentially since I first lurked around 3 years ago.

Another thing that I feel would help is to all become moderators per se. There have been times when posts were heading down an ugly path when someone would throw a joke in or ask for clarification and difuse the situation before it got out of hand. Of course a thick skin is needed for this type of intervention too, since at times the antaganism between the two parties will turn against the person trying to intervene.

I have read everypost that is still standing been on since May 2004 and researched a lot of the older posts. After a while you learn everyones writing style and can usually tell when someone is having a bad day.

At the end of the day it should still all be about the music and JBL. It would really sadden me to see some of the great minds of this forum leave because of lack of mutual respect. Although, as pointed out there will always be the guy that buzzes in causes as much trouble as he can and gets out. As much as possible ignore them and they will usually go away and hunt somewhere else.

I can learn about JBL from books and Technical Bulletins but nothing replaces the experience found on this site.

Just My .02 worth

AL

One thing about the forums is they are very one dimensional, its a one way comms ticket.

Gotta loosen up too.

Time for some Ice breakers.

Ever rung up forum buddy? You get a much better appreciation of who they are and what they are about. You can still have an arguement with them on the forums but there is respect and you know how far you can go and how to appeal their mentality. You can make some great friends on the forums.

Get together. Its a bit weird at first.......you think hey what...I never figured he was this sort a chap.......Do it! Try not to wear the same shirt every where you go. I had the time of my life meeting forum members last year.

You guys need to get out a bit and make the effort.

Show your face. What's so hard about it? Your less incline to say the wrong thing with the guy looking straight at you.

We did this in a thread a while back and everyone go a real kick out of it.

Ian

Yeah I know that shirt.Muhahah.you guys gotta send me an official JBL T shirt (XL). The chick who took this pic was well stacked!

Good points Ian

Also don't exagerate too much on the posts

Okay you wanted to know. Apparently from Virginia...the encounter was amusing.

For a moment there I thought they were going to fall out and we'd both be goners.

Now just who is moderating this dang thread!

Ian

Large

You weren't kidding were you!

Thread Information