Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2012H enclosure size?

Yes its interesting but these type of driver not intended for anything other than mid range, not mid bass per say, the 2123 is best used sealed in clusters and horn loading.

You would be better served by a 2118H from 150-1100, alternatively a 2220 from 100-300hz then the 2123.

The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by geowal3
    I have a similar concern about the doghouse for a 2123H. Using BB6, I get results that indicate a similarly sized vented box is somewhat flatter than sealed. This seems "counter-intuitive". What am I doing wrong? Particulars are:

Vented 10 x 16.2 x 6.2, two vents 2.5" D x .75" deep. Fb 89.54 Hz (Shown in red).

Sealed (bb6 suggested) 9.7 x 15.7 x 6 Fb 212.2 (Shown in blue).

Applicaton:A four way system with active 24 db x-over from 150 Hz to 1100 Hz.

Drew Daniels Quote

On the thread below Don McRitchie quotes Drew Daniels in posts #1 and #5 to the effect that he tries to dissuade people from building his high efficiency system in favor of buying LSR32's (and adding a 2245 subwoofer). He is specifically talking about an HT setup, apparently. This, and also the fact that Greg Timbers was quoted as saying something similar were important factors in my deciding to buy a pair of LSR32's on ebay having never heard them. They have been very satisfactory.

David

The thread:

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbull...highlight=drew

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Yes its interesting but these type of driver not intended for anything other than mid range, not mid bass per say, the 2123 is best used sealed in clusters and horn loading.

You would be better served by a 2118H from 150-1100, alternatively a 2220 from 100-300hz then the 2123.

The Doctor
    Would'nt the same coments apply to the 2012H as well? Isn't it just an updated version of the 2123?

I'm curious to know what others feel is the best approach to a three-way system. Woofer, large format horn and tweeter, or handling the midrange with a cone and then a horn for the highs.

Of the 10" drivers the 2122 has the best lowend performance. The 2123 is smoother above 1.5-2K and a bit more extended as well as significantly more sensitive. These are in sealed enclosures. For me the 2118, 10's/12's cone mids are the way to go with a 1" compression driver.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just a few ideas from someone who was also inspired by that article

Building the Drew Daniels system Pro’s

It’s Fun

It’s a challenge

You learn a lot

You can end up with a nice sounding system

and Con’s

Lot’s of surprises

It can be a bit of work

You can end up with a not so nice sounding system

It depends what you put into it and what your goals are. If you want audiophile nirvana with imaging so good you can hear the players shift in their chairs stop now. If you want a system that has excellent clarity, terrific dynamics and a vehicle to learn it’s a great experience.

I built my first “version “with 2035’s 2122’s 2416/2344 with subs under and with passive networks based on the article. That changed to an all active set-up with E-145’s 2123 2416/2344 with subs under. If you look at just the drivers it could be called a glorified PA system however it doesn’t sound like one because it’s not just the drivers you have to look and think of the whole system and design it up like that. There is a lot of work like driver layout, tuning’ driver selection, crossover slopes and points and so on. What EQ’s what crossovers, analog or digital, what amps, how much power and on and on. After this I also built a couple of “reference” speakers as comparisons and as references for future projects. Comparing my references XPL-200A and 4344 to my Daniels system a couple of things become apparent. They are all remarkably similar in the sense that they sound like JBL’s if that makes any sense. They all have remarkable clarity and excellent dynamics and are all very well balanced when you put the time in with proper set-up. That said I understand where Drew is coming from. If I had to choose the one with the best overall balance of all as far as imaging’ dynamics, lack of compression it would be the XPL-200 clones. I imagine the LSR’s would be even better. Where the XPL’s get beat is the sense of sheer power the larger systems can project, other than that I think they have the best balance of performance compromises. That said if you feel the urge to build you should. You won’t regret trying to build it however you will regret not trying.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave
    This is the big shortcoming in Drew Daniels's system--no response tailoring information whatever. The early versions prescribe a pair of UREI 525 crossovers, but the later system uses some BGW amps with custom contour cards for the various drivers. Go figure. And he does not share the contour information with the reader. I looked at this myself before deciding that it was nothing but a small scale PA, probably a pretty good one, but I doubt it would be at all satisfactory for in-home use, as Widget says. Remember, his target audience is the dedicated crowd that has been listening to D130's with N2400's and 075's since 1957 and now have the leisure to spend some of their children's inheritance on a balls-out system. Drew's to be commended for recommending the LSR32. In fact he was fairly adamant about it; if I find the reference I will post it, but I confirm Widget--it's out there. If you want to make a home-brew large format JBL, study the studio monitor series, including the K2's, and pick one you can get the parts for and copy crossover information. Anything else is fraught with difficulties.

David
    I must admit that I got into building my own speaker systems as a result of reading Drew Daniels' articles, and in fact, I did borrow some of his design ideas for the speakers I finally built. I read about his systems years before I made my first box primarily because I didn't feel I had the skills necessary to make it sound good. What changed for me was my acquisition of a digital speaker controller. This unit made it possible for me to mix and match speaker elements, crossing them over with virtually any type of slope, and tailoring their responses with a flexible parametric EQ. There is also no need to physically time align the drivers, that function is accomplished by a built in digital delay. I know some people don't care for the sound of these units, but after playing around extensively with high quality film caps and air core coil passive crossovers, I will never go back to them.

Quote Originally Posted by stevem
    I'm curious to know what others feel is the best approach to a three-way system. Woofer, large format horn and tweeter, or handling the midrange with a cone and then a horn for the highs.
    You'll see fantastic solutions later this year or early next year. They won't be cheap and they will be killer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    Just a few ideas from someone who was also inspired by that article

Building the Drew Daniels system Pro’s

It’s Fun

It’s a challenge

You learn a lot

and Con’s

Lot’s of surprises

It can be a bit of work

You can end up with a not so nice sounding system

It depends what you put into it and what your goals are. If you want audiophile nirvana with imaging so good you can hear the players shift in their chairs stop now. If you want a system that has excellent clarity, terrific dynamics and a vehicle to learn it’s a great experience.
    Damn straight.
    What changed for me was my acquisition of a digital speaker controller. This unit made it possible for me to mix and match speaker elements, crossing them over with virtually any type of slope, and tailoring their responses with a flexible parametric EQ. There is also no need to physically time align the drivers, that function is accomplished by a built in digital delay. I know some people don't care for the sound of these units, but after playing around extensively with high quality film caps and air core coil passive crossovers, I will never go back to them.
    Nor should you if you are lucky enough to find a solution that negates the use of any speaker level passive components. They really are terrible devices.
    On the thread below Don McRitchie quotes Drew Daniels in posts #1 and #5 to the effect that he tries to dissuade people from building his high efficiency system in favor of buying LSR32's (and adding a 2245 subwoofer). He is specifically talking about an HT setup, apparently. This, and also the fact that Greg Timbers was quoted as saying something similar were important factors in my deciding to buy a pair of LSR32's on ebay having never heard them. They have been very satisfactory.

David

The thread:

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbull...highlight=drew
    If starting from scratch today I would personally opt for the Performance Series instead. LSR6332's would be second choice though, although depending on total cost they might move into top spot.

BTW - pay attention to Drew's warnings. His systems in a typical home have the very real potential to fry your hearing before you know what the hell happened.

the lady in the flower pot

Ha! Ha! You very funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606

It’s Fun

It’s a challenge

You learn a lot

ABSOLUTELY! That's why we build DIY projects! I suppose I was just being cautionary... the Daniels System is not really the cookbook design it may seem on the surface.

BTW... speaking of DIY, I think I have found the, "If you want audiophile nirvana with imaging so good you can hear the players shift in their chairs...and a system that has excellent clarity, terrific dynamics..."It has only taken me 30 years and buckets of money!

Widget

It has only taken me 30 years and buckets of money!

Patience and persistance.

What changed for me was my acquisition of a digital speaker controller. This unit made it possible for me to mix and match speaker elements, crossing them over with virtually any type of slope, and tailoring their responses with a flexible parametric EQ. There is also no need to physically time align the drivers, that function is accomplished by a built in digital delay.

Yes, with digital system controllers, for SR, I believe we've been there for awhile. With upsampling at 24/192 digital processors may have reached a threshold where many more people will find them a better option even for home hi fi. But as Giskard points out, there is the cost. For awhile at least, I think there will still be people willing to struggle with the old technology of passive and active analogue filters, especially if we can keep the network wizards around to help us.

Despite my having the LSR32's to listen to I share your interest in the larger systems. I am, though, a little puzzled by using a 2012 for hi fi. Though out of production it is still possible to put together a 2122, a 10" mid/bass that was purpose designed for monitor applications. If you want a current production model, I think the 2051 neodymium 10", which is used in the 4348, would be worth a look.

David

Despite my having the LSR32's to listen to I share your interest in the larger systems. I am, though, a little puzzled by using a 2012 for hi fi. Though out of production it is still possible to put together a 2122, a 10" mid/bass that was purpose designed for monitor applications. If you want a current production model, I think the 2051 neodymium 10", which is used in the 4348, would be worth a look.

David
    OK, I'm game! Where the heck do I get a couple of 2051s? I thought the 4348 was just available in Japan, but can you buy them (and parts) from JBL in the US?

The 2051 has been on the Transducer list at JBL Pro Customer service for quite a while now. As for the other parts, NOT. Giskard always suggests calling and asking anyway.

(Incidentally, the link to the Transducer List at JBL Pro is not working for me right now; it's crashing my browser.)

David

The 2051 has been on the Transducer list at JBL Pro Customer service for quite a while now. As for the other parts, NOT. Giskard always suggests calling and asking anyway.

(Incidentally, the link to the Transducer List at JBL Pro is not working for me right now; it's crashing my browser.)

David
    Do yo happen to know the part number for the 2051? I checked JBL's transducer parts listing, and I didn't see it. I called JBL parts and they don't list it. I can see them pictured in photos of the 4348, though. Is there another list? Thanks!

Thread Information