Thread: Bought JBL L85 with H91 and pair of JBL N200B

Bought JBL L85 with H91 and pair of JBL N200B

I'm trying to built an L200B with a JBL 077. I bought 2 pairs of LE85 one for a friend and one for me. One pair came from a fellow here in the forum, awesome person to deal with, thank you Miller. The other LE85 pair bought from Ebay from CPsound, posted one JBL85 real nice with horns and the other he said it was in the same condition, same with the crossovers. I end up with one JBL LE85 with red seals intact and real nice and the other no seals but nice and it look like they try to open as there was tiny paint missing around the holes. Anyway I opened and the diaphragm looks to be original, my question is are there aftermarket that look the same as the original. I also found the back foam deteriorating, so I can assume the other one is also, do I need to replace it to achieve better sound. Also both N200B had like sand inside, and they look slightly different one has the cables going out through the top and the other through the front. I freak out and ask if the speakers were at the beach or something, because both had like sand coming out. Do you know if JBL put like sand type inside the crossovers. Nothing changes in Ebay there is always an astute trying to cheat others, and when you are exited you forget to ask questions.

I have not seen knockoff diaphragms of the tangental surround type but I haven't seen them all. They are stilll available from JBL if you need them.

The only way to really answer the performance of any transducer beyond a listnening test is to have it performance tested / measured. If you hear something you don't like, get them measured.

The deteriorating foam in the caps really isn't an issue if it is still intact. When it falls apart you might hear it but it can't really do any damage.

I have no idea on your crossover questions, sorry.

Hope this helps if only a little.

All the best,
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Sand seems pretty strange... that said, you should look at some of the L-300 threads. There is a lot of shared info on crossover upgrades. Also Heather had a thread or two that may be helpful.

Personally I'd go with DIY networks based on the better designs offered here... those originals were designed before a lot of modern design tools and knowledge came along.

On the foam issue, as long as you do not remove the diaphragms you should be fine. If you hear any buzzing or other extraneous noise then definitely take the back caps off and clean out the foam... but unless you really know what you are doing, do not remove the screws that hold the diaphragms in place.

Widget

Mr. Widget,
    Thank you so much, I'm not moving the diaphragm at all, would you look at thread I posted on Lansing Product DIY "please help I'm trying to build a 3 way ... " I posted a picture of the top remove and shows the diaphragm, I will like to know if is genuine. I have the N200B and the LX13, they both cut at 800 HZ, which is better.
    Thank you,
    Angel

I can't say with certainty if the diaphragm is original or not... it probably is.

Glad to see you are going to go the DIY route on the networks. Those vintage JBL networks were a real weakness in the vintage JBLs. That said, the N200B, is probably a little better between these two.

Widget

Thread Information