Folks,

Just had to relate a "success story" for you, and share the technique that worked for me.....

A friend hooked me up with a quite nice pair of L26's, but they had one little problem -- the proverbial "doesn't affect the sound" dust cap dent. I didn't get a good "before" shot, but here's a crop that shows pretty much what it looked like:

Well, I'm sorry, but I COULD hear the difference, and it was awful!

Heheh, just kidding.

But, I started looking into it, and eventually came up with a solution utilizing a little "mini attachment" set for my shop vac -- this thing right here:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/tmt/conyourvacto.html

I'm sure I found mine at Wal-Mart or Target or similar, but that's the kit. The real tool is that little hose -- short of going out and measuring it, it's about one-quarter or one-third the diameter of the LE25 dust cap at the end, and that seemed to be just about the right size.

So, really, I just wetted down the dented area of the dust cap with a very small paintbrush I had on hand, and then hooked this hose up to the ol' shop vac, and yanked that dent right out! Actually, the end that attaches to the shop vac's hose has some "slots" that cut down the vacuum pull, and I covered those with my hand as best I could to increase the suction. I wound up wetting down the dent a couple of times -- after the second round, golly gosh, but that dent popped right out! Check out the results:

You can see the little crease as a horizontal mark across the cap where the top of the dent was, but otherwise, it's as good as new! I've listened to the speaker quite a bit since I did the little dent removal job, and all sounds fine from here -- no apparent trauma done to the tweeter during the operation.

So, this sure "worked for me!" And, for the record, here are the L26's, pre-operation, along with their competitors of the day, the Altec Model 3's. Quite a different solution to the same sized box!

thoots