Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: JBL 2435HPL's

Steve Gonzales

That waveguide

Has anyone tested that waveguide in the picture I posted? part#'s?

"I know this is heresy coming from a horn advocate, but how about losing the horn and lens and using the large dome midrange from the XPL series? I bet it would be a dramatic improvement over the stock cone mid with lens setup. I am suggesting this not knowing the range that the dome works in or it's sensitivity, but Rob could chime in... he is very familiar with it."

Hey Widget

The 093ti and 046ti are one sweet combo. Running them next to the 4344's they give the top end a run for the money. They are remarkably clean and clear and the 046's goes up a bit higher. They also load the room differently and image better. The top end on the 4344 has a sweet spot and the vertical is limited by both the H94 and the 077's. The XPL' s are more like the 2344 where they you don't here the tonal mix change as much off axis. Certainly can't match the SPL's but I was driving them with Uri's 1200 amp hard enough to have his clipping light flash with the XPL's and no strain no hardness. Can't imagine another set of domes doing that, I was amazed they could absorb that kind of power.

Hello Giskard
    Someone needs to build a pair of XPL 250's. I think you should do it . You already have the LE-14H's. I would love to hear how those sound.

Rob

Obsolete
    "Can't imagine another set of domes doing that, I was amazed they could absorb that kind of power."

Yes, they're kind of like power sponges.

"Someone needs to build a pair of XPL 250's. I think you should do it . You already have the LE-14H's. I would love to hear how those sound."

Actually I have all the parts. I just need to build the charge-coupled filters for them.

Current project is a pair of Performance Series subs using the SUB1500's.

2426 plays 500 Hz better than this on a proper horn, no?
    - Yes, I believe so.

If so, looks like 800 Hz is the lower limit of the PTH waveguide.
    That seems about right .

Big & Heavy

That RCA MI 9594 and a 2482 is my midrange for center channel.

Has anyone tested that waveguide in the picture I posted? part#'s?
    Steve,
    - That part is from the Vertec Line Array series . If I remember correctly the vertical dispersion on that throat piece is designed to be maintained at 10° ( from 1K to 15K ) .

- I don't think you want such a limited vertical dispersion. The L94 works in the horizontal not the vertical .

- You need to stick with horn throats that the L94 was designed to work with. Or if you are going to stray from that path and still want to use the L94 / then don't wander very far from the round mouth and similar flare constant in the horn.

- One of Widgets other suggestions of getting a pair of wooden Edgar horns has merit. If committed to the L94 then I would morph that custom work into getting a set of simple exponential 2312 throat made in wood / custom turned on a lathe / for the 1.5" entry . Keeping the same depth as a 2312 but going to a wider entrance ( 1.5" ) means the flare constant has been changed. My instincts tell me if the mouth size is kept the same ( as the 2312 ) then the loss in HF boost will be very slight .

That RCA MI 9594 and a 2482 is my midrange for center channel.
    Really ? Wow ! You must have a lot of available depth to play with . These things will throw midrange into the next county .

- What components are above & below that 2482 ?

- How do you adapt the 2482 to the MI 9191 throat section ? ( which is 1.4" )

Quote from Widget

" Waiting for Harman isn't my idea of a party."

Been there-Done that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RCA Horn

Between the horn and driver is MI 9591, the flange hole I think was 2", if it was not, I may have reamed it a bit, don't remember. The distance between 2 of the 2482 mounting holes a bit wider than flange holes, which are open on outer ends. Used some washers, fits tight, only 2 bolts into 2482, driver exit and horn entrance look perfect. It's a B to move. Gauss 5831 woofer, have others I could try, including JBL, may end up with 2 woofers, bass reflex 13 cu/ft. I think U once tried to look up G 5831 can't find anything on it. Sent U other info on rest.

Steve Gonzales

Thumbs up Mr. K

If there is something that is a real weak point for me concerning speakers, it is the nuts and bolts of how they react in a given enlosure or on a horn ,etc. I have never been exposed to it, but I want to learn. One confusing point is the open mouth waveguide that is pictured in one of Zilch's posts. It appears to be "wide open", yet, it can support a much lower crossover point than I am looking to use (650hz?). How does a compression driver and horn work together?. What are the basic rules in regards to how the horn interacts with the compression driver at the point that they meet. What is (in better detail) "the loading". I assume that this has to do with throat pressure. Is this the consideration in regards to the information I've read in posts to why a 2" exit driver is preferred over a 1" when mated to a 2397?. Humor me for a moment; picture an Altec 311 old school horn. What if you where to build a horn that was patterned after 1 of the segments/ sections?. What ratios are to be considered in regards to flare rates. Is there a formula/rule of thumb?. I would want a rectangular mouth that was approx. 5"h x 10"w. and wouldn't care if it was over a foot in length. How do I calculate the dimensions? Maybe that is not a good idea. Anything you can explain in laymens terms is appreciated, I don't have the jargon down-yet-. Thanks, Steve G

Horns 101

Steve,

- I'm going to look around for some websites that can explain the basics in horn design. I don't have the time to muster up anything even half-assed coherent for the unlearned.

- Horns are really easy to make / unfortunately they are equally as hard to make good sounding.
    - In your shoes ; I'd buy not build .

- Personally, I'd also stick with the round mouth and let the L94 do the rest.

- Each single cell Altec was usually speced at around 18° x 18°. You'd want double that or even 45 by 45° . That somewhat describes the 2309 ? horn found behind the serpentine lens .

- WHG just posted a link to some Horn Sites for MatthiasA. Here's that thread. / one of the links has some horn calculators. Take a look around there and see what you can find out about horn design that you might find useful .

- The guys who really like to talk about horn design reside over at the High Efficiency Forum of the AudioAsylum web site . I'd suggest registering there and asking horn design related questions there.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl K
    - The guys who really like to talk about horn design reside over at the High Efficiency Forum of the AudioAsylum web site . I'd suggest registering there and asking horn design related questions there.

Definitely! They live and breath it day in and day out.

Horn sites:

http://melhuish.org/audio/horn.html
    http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~hanbei/eng-links.html
    http://www.quarter-wave.com/

What I have read is that Tractrix or Smith horns are amongst the better designs for home use.

I have built Smith horns now, next will be a pair of Tractrixes. If you'd like I could try turn a pair of round Tractrixes for you. When putting the parameters into the calculator you find in the first link you'll find that they are rather small with e.g. a cutoff frequency of of 500/550Hz. PM me if interested.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    OMG! What are you doing! You just let out all the Argon gas from that back can! Now you have to take it to JBL so they can put the gas back in in their special clean room!
    Use a deep breath at a heavy hangover morning for refill

Thread Information