Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JBL 2435HPL's

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lancaster
    I´ve never seen 2435's, except on photos, is it possible to make a spacer to increase the back chamber volume?
    Nope. The terminals are integral to the back cap, and plug onto the diaphragm.

Just puttin' a big hole in the rear was mentioned earlier as an option. Don't think I'd be doin' that, tho.

The best answer would be to get the deeper back caps....

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    I know this is heresy coming from a horn advocate, but how about losing the horn and lens and using the large dome midrange from the XPL series?
    I like your thinking Mr. Widget. I'd look at doing the 046Ti too since it is a match and it "beats" the 076 in every way but LOUD.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    I've tried... things are changing... it used to be easy to get stuff like that...

... unfortunately true 800Hz capable horns are not small.
    Here's the model cited earlier using 2430. It's 15" X 30":
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Back Cap

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K
    Alex

- It might be possible , though I don't have any of those drivers to check out that concept .
    - I seem to remember someone saying that the backcap seemed to tightly house the diaphragm as if it was a one piece unit ( somewhat like the 2416 ) . Though maybe I hallucinated all that.
    In the early stages of Project May we were told that if we wanted to use the 2435 down to 800Hz we would need to increase the rear chamber as JBL had to for the 435Be. It would not be difficult to do. As I posted earlier on this thread. It could easily be accomplished with a bit of PVC tube and plastic sheet stock.

To me the bigger issue is the design requirement. Steve wants to use a 1.5" driver with a horn and use the lens from the L220. I have some Meyer horns that are for 1.4" drivers and they are "modified radial" horns (the Meyer dog bone). They are very compact 7" by 13.5"... still too big for this project and they are only good to 1500Hz. (yes they will work down below that, but for optimum performance...)

Widget

Say Zilch

- What holds the diaphragm in place ?
    - ( Bolts ? / Press Fit from the Back-Cap ? / ??? )

Obsolete
    (yes they will work down below that, but for optimum performance...)
    Yeah but keep the system in perspective Mr. Widget... anything is probably worth trying...

Just puttin' a big hole in the rear was mentioned earlier as an option. Don't think I'd be doin' that, tho.

The deeper back caps are not JBL Pro... they are for the 435Be and 435AL... JBL Consumer. Highly unlikely you will be able to get them. That said, Steve was able to connect with a "Man from Harman" and secure some JBL Consumer Blue... maybe he could ask politely and get a pair of caps....?????

I would drill it out and add the can myself. Waiting for Harman isn't my idea of a party.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K
    - What holds the diaphragm in place ?
    - ( Bolts ? / Press Fit from the Back-Cap ? / ??? )
    Screws to the front assembly per conventional CD diaphragm mounting, if I recall. Only opened them once for a little peek.

Purple coated diaphragms, probably Be. I'll get a pic.

Wanna try 2426 on them waveguides while it's still set up, too, to see how low they play under these test conditions....

Test Horn

Thanks Zilch !

- I figure you might all get a larf from taking a peek at one of my test horns .

- The pics should explain all .

- Yes, it loads quite low .

- These were made about a month ago . I think they were actually meant for the Klipsh "home-improvement" thread. Oh Well

- BTW ; the recommended crossover point for this driver is around 1000hz.
    ( & It also has a tight back-cap )

2435 Assembly

Actually, rear cap mounting screws hold "field replaceable" diaphragm assembly in:

Obsolete
    OMG! What are you doing! You just let out all the Argon gas from that back can! Now you have to take it to JBL so they can put the gas back in in their special clean room!

tried to open link.....but no way....

Me being more a vintage gear man, it is interesting to see the newer stuff JBL has for compression drivers.

Ron

Steve Gonzales

?

"I know this is heresy coming from a horn advocate, but how about losing the horn and lens and using the large dome midrange from the XPL series? I bet it would be a dramatic improvement over the stock cone mid with lens setup. I am suggesting this not knowing the range that the dome works in or it's sensitivity, but Rob could chime in... he is very familiar with it."

No thanks, I've already got a mint pair of 2420's on the 2312's so if I cannot find a solution to the 2435 question, I'm still thrilled with what I have now. I am just not partial to domes/cones, it's my personal taste. I'll figure something out, no doubt.

Cool to see the innerds there Zilchster, thanks. Thanks Mr. Earl K!, you never dissappoint!

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    OMG! What are you doing! You just let out all the Argon gas from that back can!
    Not to worry. I refilled it with methane....

Here's 2426 on PTH horns, same conditions as above (a) and 24 dB HP lowered to 300 Hz. (b).

2426 plays 500 Hz better than this on a proper horn, no? If so, looks like 800 Hz is the lower limit of the PTH waveguide using JBL 1" throat adapter.

Comparing the curves for 2435HPL under the (a) conditions, 800 Hz is a push for them, as well. 2426 plays better there....

Obsolete
    Not to worry. I refilled it with methane....
    Excellent!

Carry on!

Thread Information