Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lans-a-loy Repair Question

Lans-a-loy Repair Question

Gentlemen

We have some pretty creative minds on this forum so heres todays delema.

Looking for some sort of chemical to melt and then refuse Lans-a-loy surrounds.

Have a few units that have small separations but not split all the way thru.If I could liquify and move some of the existing Lans-a-loy material around and then have it dry in its new location as a patch,it would be a beautiful thing.

I"ve tried most of the usual household and reconing chemicals with no success.

M.E.K. doesnt work and neither do lacquer thinner,wd-40,alcohol and some chemical cleaners.I just thought about ammonia and will try that.

Any suggestions ??????

Oldmics

aust-ted
    Hi Oldmics

We need to find out the chemical composition of Lansalloy. Once we find that out it should be easy to determine what will bond to it. I have a friend who is an industrial chemist who may be able to help out.

Regards
    Ted

Since you can use brake fluid to reactivate stiffined Lans-a-loy,I would assume that its a petrochemical.

So what would dissolve a rubber band?

Oldmics

aust-ted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldmics
    Since you can use brake fluid to reactivate stiffined Lans-a-loy,I would assume that its a petrochemical.

So what would dissolve a rubber band?

Oldmics
    Yeah but we need to know which petrochemical. Anyone got an idea? Polyethlene? polyproplyene? etc

Regards
    Ted

Is this for you or a paying job? If it is yours, ship it to me and I can most likely fix it.

Widget

A chemist is needed !

Hi There,

Looking for some sort of chemical to melt and then refuse Lans-a-loy surrounds.
    - Have you tried applying heat ? ( a chemical catalyst isn't necessarily the only sort needed )

- I realize you're hoping to discover that this stuff can be treated as if it was PVC where you can add acetone/? ,,,,which chemically melts it ,,,, and then have it reconstitute itself once the acetone vapourizes .

- I think LansaLoy is a lot closer to rubber than plastic, so I'm pretty sceptical about this whole process . Rubber turns back into a shapeless glob that needs reforming ( vulcanization ? ) after it has been heated .

- I'll think some more about this .

aust-ted
    Earl

If we knew for sure it was a butyl rubber then we could easily work out what bonds to it

Regards
    Ted

Hey Ted,

- I have a few le14a(s) with the LansaLoy surrounds. Some are eventually destined for refoams since I "pooched" a few rehabs .

- My first LansaLoy rehab was of a surround that had 2 concentic splits that circled around @ 80% of the surrounds' circumference ( this appears to be similar or worse than Oldmics situation ). I chose to DOT 3 Brake Fluid the material and then apply a thinned down, silicone-based skin over these splits in the LansaLoy. This worked well and I ended up with a Fs in the low 20s. This would still be my first choice ( apart from refoaming ) if confronted again with a similar situation .

- FWIW ; Zmax on these older surrounds is considerably lower than the newer foam types with a lower Q ( a broader impedance skirt ). This lower Zmax is somewhat electrically similar to throwing a conjugate resistor across the woofer . ie , it aids in dampening . That is the singlular most important reason that I try to maintain these old surrounds ( apart from just being lazy ).

- Some excess/surplus LansaLoy is needed so someone can experiment within a crucible ( to test this melting theory ).
    - Bunsun Burner anyone ?

What we REALLY need is a suitable butyl surround like LE14H-3.

Ask a volume reconer/refoamer to save Lans-a-loy surround fragments for experimentation, maybe.

In about 30 days, we'll have plenty to work with.

Question

hello

Sorry Gentlemen but what is a lansaloy ?
    And what do you look for ? A special type of glue ?
    if yes I may help you !

gerard

It is the foam material JBL used from the late 50's through the mid 70's as a surround material. Originally it was an off white. With age it darkens to a tan color and stiffens. An application of DOT-3 brake fluid will soften it and return it to a state that is similar to new as long as the surround hasn't been cracked by trying to operate the driver while the foam is stiff.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Widget, Ms. Gadet - and you... - take beautiful pictures!!

Hey, Oldmics

In a vacuum of real compositional knowledge, I'd be tempted to treat with DOT3 to the extent you can, and then carefully mend the splits with Household Goop, or other rubber-type cement that stays pliable.

I worry that any attempt at using a Lans-a-loy solvents could end in a disaster of unstructured goo, where the original surround shape gets lost and cannot be recovered.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    Widget, Ms. Gadet - and you... - take beautiful pictures!!
    Thanks... I took them awhile back when I was eBaying off my LE15A collection.

Bo...you should keep to the Front of House!

DO NOT USE CONTACT ADHESIVE ON YOUR LANS-A-LOY!!!!

"I worry that any attempt at using a Lans-a-loy solvents could end in a disaster of unstructured goo, where the original surround shape gets lost and cannot be recovered. :"

I'll second that.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    DO NOT USE CONTACT ADHESIVE ON YOUR LANS-A-LOY!!!!

Yea, well it ain't really like contact adhesive - it's more of a robust rubber cement. Bonds not-too-fast. I've used it in situations where it lasts for years and remains very pliable, and is completely airtight.

Anyway, what the hell is the polarity??
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    I'd be tempted to treat with DOT3 to the extent you can
    Oh God! Not you too!

Oh what am I saying! I too would dump brake fluid on other people's JBL's.

Thread Information