Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: L60T speakers, are they Worthy??

L60T speakers, are they Worthy??

I've been offered a pair of L60T (not T3) speakers - seem to be in fairly good shape, minimal chips, grills ok (a bit worn).

Are they worthy to add to my stable of speakers for - say $150?

Any caveats?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

You knew you'd get a "Yes!" from me. I would say worst case you could play with them and, if you didn't like, need, or have room for them, sell them at a profit (or shift them to me at your cost!!). I recall many here saying very flattering things about them. At one point GordonW wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonW
    There are two things that you can do to a pair of L80Ts, that will make them MUCH better:

1) Lengthen the vent... add about 2" to the length. This will lower the tuning frequency, and improve the bass.

2) Put an L-pad (50 watt, from somewhere like Parts Express) between the crossover and the tweeter. You can simply wire it in, inside the cabinet, set the level, and just attach it to something in the cabinet (even zip-tie it to a wire bundle or the vent or whatnot). This will allow you to return the system to stock, if desired. I expect most people will wind up with a typical L-pad turned down about 20% of its available travel range, from all-the-way-up... it's not a BIG alteration you need, but it makes a significant improvement.

Once this is done, IMHO, the L80T becomes one of the most listenable JBL models, of all... just a genuinely excellent speaker.
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=11375

One rule of thumb that I like has to do with pro equivalents. Pro equivalent = good, no pro equivalent = not so good. In this example, yes the L60T does have a pro equivalent, it's home version of the 4408. So it's "worthy"
    The rule doesn't always work though, as in the examples of my XPL200s and PT800s. No pro equivalents, so they're not worthy. But still I think that they are OK.

I jumped the gun and turned your L60t into an L80t but it seems the same opinions apply to most of the series. I'm quite pleased with the L20t, so on could assume....

Again with GordonW, but about a year ago he was selling a pair for $150, but I suppose you've already run it through this site's search function, too.

RIP 2009
    I have a set of L60T's as my bedroom speakers and really like them! They have bigger cabinets than the 4408's, so bass is better.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    One rule of thumb that I like has to do with pro equivalents. Pro equivalent = good, no pro equivalent = not so good. In this example, yes the L60T does have a pro equivalent, it's home version of the 4408. So it's "worthy"
    So, that makes my L20Ts the home equivalent of the 4406? No wonder I'm growing so fond of them, 035ti vs. 035tiA notwithstanding! Looks like I'm starting a 4400 collection by accident.

So Heather, had a chance to try 'em out yet? Or did you just wrap them up and stick them under the tree with a card "from Santa" so Emma won't know?

I bought a pair about four years ago for $140. I was at the time very impressed with them. They sounded much bigger than they are and had a lot of punch to them. I seem to recall them having fairly deep bass. I also seem to recall them being revealing of mediocre amplification. They can sound harsh with the wrong amp.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    So, that makes my L20Ts the home equivalent of the 4406? No wonder I'm growing so fond of them, 035ti vs. 035tiA notwithstanding! Looks like I'm starting a 4400 collection by accident.

So Heather, had a chance to try 'em out yet? Or did you just wrap them up and stick them under the tree with a card "from Santa" so Emma won't know?
    No, Emma's speakers were the L200s I was gonna sell and she asked me to keep instead ...!) I upped them to 3-ways and - you all know that tune.
    besides, except for the jewelry I bought her at the Scottish festival, Emma's presents are already wrapped!

Anyway, these L60Ts may be our side surrounds for the TV room ... but they aren't connected yet.
    That HK receiver does 7.1, and I haven't run it above 5.1 mode for Movies/TV yet ...

The hard part is that with the rear port, I'll need to space them out a bit from the wall, and - you've seen that room - its just not real large ...

Maybe I should just pull the L20Ts and use these instead, as flying arrays in the rear?
    Maybe invert them and put eyehooks in the base -
    What do you think - woofers up or down (grin)
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    or like the Boze guys do.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Sideways!

Heather, I have 1 working and 1 not working, needs a woofer, I don't go with the crowd on this, i want to fix it to get rid of them. For surrounds they would be OK, although not much different then the 20ts you are welcome to pick up and play . I have a 2nd set of grills also but they are busted

Mark

Hi Mark, thanks for the heads up!
    Are the cabinets in great shape?

Didn't you want to part yours down to build that center channel - or do you have a more upmarket pair planned to "sacrifice" when you create that center hybrid?

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    Heather, I have 1 working and 1 not working, needs a woofer, I don't go with the crowd on this, I want to fix it to get rid of them. For surrounds they would be OK, although not much different then the 20ts. You are welcome to pick up and play . I have a 2nd set of grills also but they are busted

Mark

Just picked them up at 1:30 today ... They had a few chips, so I got them for $130, instead of the $150 she'd originally asked in Craigslist ...

Sound is very nice - amazing full and rich sound for a 2-way ported tower - nice bass sound! I took my iPod and fed that through her Sony receiver - the usual tests: AJA, Jennifer Warnes (way down deep, Ain't No cure for love) System 7, Sylvian (Orpheus) ... they'll be a heck of a surround set!

As you can see, they look fairly good. Of course, the wood veneer was dry, but I wiped down the right speaker for this photo and the color popped right back in. Yes, they DID look the same before I wiped the right speaker down with Howard's Feed'n'wax - that stuff is amazing!

Now to find some wire and set them up as side surrounds!

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post

Attached Images Attached Images   

Heather,

do you want a third (center maybe)and some spare parts? I am reasonable, future draft picks to be named later works for me

I hope to make my center from the top 3 drivers in a 250TI, modified 120 or 250 XO I have in parts and a yet to be built cabinet. I was toying with the idea of laying 1 60 on its side until this was built but I don't think it fit in the space or too heavy or something or 1 tweeter died maybe, too many other things have come up since way back then.

I was also thinking at 1 time maybe a 5.1 w/3 20 and 2 60 in the "dorm room" at one point too but too many other...don't even have the tv hooked up to a receiver yet. May go analogue in (sansui 7700?) that room, a and b; spare 120 and DQ-10s; no surrounds

w/your space I would be thinking 4 20 for surrounds , you could try a 2nd set of 20s to compare if you want borrow a set, I bet you would have a hard time w/the blindfold test in a 7.1 system telling the difference and could mount all the 20s off the ceiling. In my receiver all 4 surrounds get the same choices; all mounted high or all mounted low, XO the same for all speakers set to small. My last receiver all could be set individually

how flexible is the low pass xo in the receiver you use? If you can adjust each set independently even more reason for the 20 compared to the 60(imho)

I thought the 60 was the only speaker to use this woofer, not so???

Mark

The receiver is a Harman-Kardon AVR 335 - I can set all channels separately for size and for crossover freq. I suppose I could hang another set of L20s from the ceiling on the sides, but the L60Ts sit on the floor ok and do add a bit of bass to the room. Unfortunately I don't have the room in the back to put another pair of L60Ts back there - the hanging L20s do fine for that (plus they don't have the rear ports to deal with). But if you want to dump your 60s we can talk after New Year - they'd certainly be worth having as spares!

For sound checks all I did was put the Harmon in 7 channel Cinema mode and play a bit of the KingKong movie, but Emma gave me the new Bladerunner box set, so I may try a bit of the new version to check the surround ... classic Vangelis!

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    Heather,

do you want a third (center maybe) and some spare parts? I am reasonable, future draft picks to be named later works for me

I hope to make my center from the top 3 drivers in a 250TI, modified 120 or 250 XO I have in parts and a yet to be built cabinet. I was toying with the idea of laying 1 60 on its side until this was built but I don't think it fit in the space or too heavy or something or 1 tweeter died maybe, too many other things have come up since way back then.

I was also thinking at 1 time maybe a 5.1 w/3 20 and 2 60 in the "dorm room" at one point too but too many other...don't even have the tv hooked up to a receiver yet. May go analogue in (sansui 7700?) that room, a and b; spare 120 and DQ-10s; no surrounds

w/your space I would be thinking 4 20 for surrounds , you could try a 2nd set of 20s to compare if you want borrow a set, I bet you would have a hard time w/the blindfold test in a 7.1 system telling the difference and could mount all the 20s off the ceiling. In my receiver all 4 surrounds get the same choices; all mounted high or all mounted low, XO the same for all speakers set to small. My last receiver all could be set individually

how flexible is the low pass xo in the receiver you use? If you can adjust each set independently even more reason for the 20 compared to the 60(imho)

I thought the 60 was the only speaker to use this woofer, not so???

Mark

Thread Information