Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I hate to say it but ...

Where does the horn go?

what horn?

Wilson Wamm

To try to compare the altec design to the large wilsons is close to the Insane catagory. Ive owned #19 and have had the chance to travel around and find a dealer who had the wilsons set up correct;y. With the proper elecrtonic on those newer wilson large those dam things completely dissapear in the room with dynamic impact that will knock you out.I heard the Wamm#4 with Large rowland monos I will never forget the sound. For 200,000 Id hope not
    Von Schweikert VR-8
    Canary Ref. 1 300B monoblocks. 300Bx16

In a stereophile reveiw

A few years back stereophile did a reveiw of some OLDER ALTEC speakers and published this statetment that the Altec came very close to the Wilsons in terms of Snap, immediacy, imaging and dynamics!

For 200 grand the Wilsons should be better then anything and NOTHING should come close, let alone VERY close!

That said, we had it right years ago. Yes it can always be improved, but if you know what to do with certain things you can get unbelievable audio for far less then the price of a HOUSE!

I do not disdain "Stereophile" as many on this forum seem to. They make me laugh when they call an 85K amplifier a bargain. I usually consider what they say, I just don't consider it gospel.

I would gladly drop $500 on a pair of used TAD super tweeters if I could find them that cheaply, while most of my non audio friends think that $500 for a pair of complete speakers is plenty and some friends who think the entire system should be $500. It is a matter of priorities.

As far as Wilson Audio is concerned, they do make some very. very good speakers. I have not heard the later versions of the WAMM but I bet it is great. The X-1 Grand Slamm is one of the very best speakers I have ever heard. I have heard quite a few speakers over $15K a pair and all of them do some things right and none are perfect. Just like the Altecs and JBL that we love.

I enjoy building my own speakers, however if someone were to offer to trade a pair of Grand Slamms I would trade in a second, and no I wouldn't do it to sell them.

Roland

BigBusa is really big!

BigBusa:

Your Duetta sigs are identical to mine. They have very low sensitivity and will sound better biamped with high powered SS amps. The Duettas sigs are considered the best balanced of the Apogees. Have good resolution and remarkably deep bass for planar bipolar but need about three feet from back wall. But you will eventually miss your dynamic efficient speakers/horns and go back to either altec or JBL (and away from those K speakers).

Also small monitors can kick butt if they have the right efficient drivers and associated subwoofer. Try a Dynaudio D76 dome MR with ribbon tweeters or 5" JBL with supertweets you will find these monitors super accurate, efficient and tiny.

Roland

WAMM vs ALTEC

Several points:

1) Most store stereo auditions are rigged!!

They will play a mastertape or super recording so their systems sound great but realize that this super recording will make even BigBusa's K Cornwalls sound excellent!!

Remember that the SOURCE QUALITY wether CD, LP etc determines 80% of the maximal potential sound quality. The speakers determine the next 15% and associated electronics ONLY 5%

Think about that when you buy Stereophile recommended $85K amps. HINT put your money into good sources and good speakers if you want quality sound!!

2) Quality is not necessarily related to price especially in used gear!!..... I have bought A7-5s for $100, EV 30W subwoofers for $50, 210 cabinets for 20-30 dollars.

3)Follow the profit and money trail!!
    Obviously neither stereophile nor audio dealers make any money out of you buying the above equipment. Therefore equipment sucks!!

Now WAMM vs ALTEC

The following components will equal or surpass the WAMMs once properly tuned. NO you won't have Mr Wilson over the weekend to tune it for you!!

Altec 210 cabinet modified (shortened to 5 1/2 feet etc)with 416/515 drivers
    300-500 cycle multicell with 290 driver with phenolic diaphragm or 288 with Al diaphragm
    Horn tweeter
    Infinite baffle subs 20 to 60 cycle

This 110 dB/w combination can be multiamp with DIY SET and PP DHT except the subwoofers which need SS hi power. A5 or A7s come close to above in quality

Price depends on how handy you are...but much self satisfaction
    vs ready turnkey WAMMs

stpower
    Rolan,
    Right on! This is the system I am using. I have not got around to building the subs yet. Thinking about the Edgar sub also. I have used many speaker systems over the years including many high end ribbon and panel systems and none are overall as good as this.I never heard the Wamms but the Grand Slamms didn't impress me that much for the asking price. For the amount I have invested in the Altecs this is almost a steal.

Regards,
    stpower

Roland

Large room needed

Steve you have a huge room 50' x 90' x 9' and can appreciate this kind of system. Yes they need room to breathe. For others again don't put an elephant in an apartment...the right speaker for the right room.

By the way for those who love the Grand Slams so much try the KLONE audio web site for a DIY clone version. You can use the cost difference to build yourself a nice soundroom then you can step up to the Altec 210s. For those that do the Altec vs WAMM please use the difference to buy yourselves a house.

Quote of the month.

"Remember that when it comes to the ultimate sound you must throw the price out the window"

Sounds like it came from a Stereophile reader ....... talk about LOW WAF !!!

You klipsh speakers are not the only units that have more lowend then the a-7. If you need to be reminded what SLP is i suggest the altec 1236 system. A7-x cabnet with ceramic lowend magnet drivers and 808 drivers. Listen to these at say 75 feet and then repost.
    Von Schweikert VR-8
    Canary Ref. 1 300B monoblocks. 300Bx16

Thread Information