Thread: JBL Type LE2-99 | Lancer 99

flyingbob

JBL Type LE2-99 | Lancer 99

I just purchased a pair of these speakers. Mint condition. The rear panel has a sealed opening for the installation of the 'solid state energizer/transducer'. Any opinions about installing this to appreciably improve the sound. As I understand it, the speakers will then connect directly to the preamp. Any ideas on availability or price ranges.
    Thanks

Those "Energizers" are collectable, and consequently expensive, is about all. They were early solid-state designs. Almost any contemporary amp will do better for you. While there has been a resurgence of that approach with powered monitors of late, the value of it in general application is dubious.

What DOES deserve your attention is the condition of the surrounds on the LE14A woofers there. If they're the original ivory-colored "Lans-a-loy," they have likely stiffened with age, maybe even cracked, and you'll have to have them refoamed (new foam surrounds installed) to restore the bass performance of your Lancers 99's.

Hi Bob

Any ideas on availability or price ranges.
    Click here to start looking at JBLs' old catalogues so that you can familiarize yourself about the relative ages on some of these things .

The "energizer ( amplifier )" for your old speaker disappeared from JBLs' product line more than 30 years ago. Each amps guts were tailored to be specific to the speaker model they were placed into. So, even if you find this part on eBay / it is likely not going to be correctly configured for your model speaker .

Here are a few ideas :

- Save your money and buy a better amplifier if you're currently unhappy
    with what've got .

- Another option is to rebuild the existing crossover in that S99 with better parts. I've included the schematics. While some parts can be handily bought from a place like Parts' Express CrossOver Parts . the biggest hurdle is that tapped inductors are no longer easily obtained. A variable Lpad should suffice as a substitution .

- Another custom option would be to add a dedicated 5" midrange ( this would an interesting option, though involving the most work since it means some woodworking and a completely new crossover for a 3way system )

Attached Images Attached Images

lans-aloy

I "found" Some old LE-15A speakers that must have this instead of foam. Not cracked but rock hard. Was this an early product used instead of foam? These cabinets have been sitting forever. I guess a complete go over would be in order, not just the new foam?

Bill

Lans-a-loy was an early foam formulation with resiliancy to provide (in combination with other design features,) the "extended bass" of those drivers.

The best we have been able to determine here, it is comprised of an indeterminate variant of mucus, having limited lifetime. Virtually all of those early surrounds need to be replaced to restore performance. While there are other "fixes," they are temporary and only forestall the inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill H.
    I guess a complete go over would be in order, not just the new foam?
    It depends on what else is there. Most of those vintage units play just fine with minimal refurbishing. Start a new thread on your particular system and forum members will likely have good suggestions.

Thread Information