Thread: Getting hiss, can't figure out why

FredEmmerich

Getting hiss, can't figure out why

I have a pair of 250ti speakers and I have a CD player and XM radio gooked into the system. I have Mcintosh amp and preamp. I get hiss from both sources. I currently have the amp being refurbished so I hooked up my old Pioneer receiver. I still have the hiss. It sounds just like tape hiss but I am surprised to hear it on digital sources.

My previous system is a Yamaha a/v receiver with 4312's in front and L96 in rear. I used the same CD and XM with that setup but never got the hiss except for the CD at high volume.

Any ideas on what could be causingit? Same cables are being used.

thanks
    Fred

I would try the Yamaha with the 250ti's just to rule out noise from the Mac's. Some people have told me in the past that certain Mac gear can be noisy. I don't have any personal experience to back that up, but I've heard it from more than one person.

Try a different amp/receiver and see what happens...

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by FredEmmerich
    I have a pair of 250ti speakers and I have a CD player and XM radio gooked into the system. I have Mcintosh amp and preamp. I get hiss from both sources. I currently have the amp being refurbished so I hooked up my old Pioneer receiver. I still have the hiss. It sounds just like tape hiss but I am surprised to hear it on digital sources.

My previous system is a Yamaha a/v receiver with 4312's in front and L96 in rear. I used the same CD and XM with that setup but never got the hiss except for the CD at high volume.

Any ideas on what could be causingit? Same cables are being used.

thanks
    Fred

Thread Information