Thread: Tools, Tools, Tools!

Tools, Tools, Tools!

I see lotsa references to various measurement and design tools in the forum threads. What tools are you using out there, and what do you like/dislike about them?

Software or hardware?? This is what I have used

Hardware:

Table saw or skill saw, good deck screw gun, a hole jig, a sabre saw, sanders orbital and belt, a good plunge cutter not a $49.99 Sears special, router, hand and electric drill

Software:

WinIsd Beta Is a Free Download

Bass Box Pro 6 X-Over 3

Some version or Spice to play with networks in. SwCAD3 is fun to play in.

Rob

Thanks, Rob,

We like ALL tools here!
    Looking mostly for measurement (RTA, scopes, sig gens) & design (circuit, box) & anything that's exceptional, but, well, Tools! Tools! Tools! I like 'em all.

Thanks forgot all about my RTA. I use a Behringer 8024 with the 8000 measurement microphone. Also have True RTA the 1/6 octave version for measurements.

Rob

Diagnosis:
    SmaartLIVE 5.0 on Dell laptop w/ 15-in screen.
    Earthworks M30
    USBPre

Rx:
    KT DN370...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

pelly3s
    if i'm home i use Spectrafoo and at work i use Smaart, and whatever measurement mic i have at the time either an Audix or DBX. If i'm in a rush I just use the RTA on one of the driveracks we have

Praxis for componet analysis.

Praxis is the only one that I can afford that will do polar plots.-Calibration microphone by Kim Giardin from Wadenhome Sound.[email protected] The mic does stop at 20K.Kims measurement mics use the same Panasonic mic elements as used as in the Earthworks line.(Its a big secret)

Smaart Live and Acoustic Tools.

Great for the live rigs and comparisons.Earthworks M50 measurement mic-Good to 50K.Just got the Earthworks so I am still feeling it out.Initial impressions are positive.

Audio Control "Iasys"-Only device on the market that does senseback monitor and control of Power Compression tests and a huge host of other invaluable chores.Will do RT60 measurements at specified frequencys for calculation of SIL (Speech Interference Levels) measurements.Uses Audio Control proprietary measurement mics.This is my favorite and most often used tool. Its great for time alignment of systems and componets.Really fast to use.

Also have Audio Controls 3055 RTA-good to 180db and does HAL 50 Auto Competition scoring for USAC and IASCA events.Used the hi SPL for aircraft takeoff and landing measurements,screw those noisy cars!

Goldline 1/3 octave RTAs and handheld RTAs

Have LARA for room designs-Not real good with it as of yet.www.integralacoustics.ca/NewsletterFeb05.pdf

Use WinRadio for frequency coordination of wireless mics.http://www.winradio.com/home/4ghz.htm

Plus a bunch of line array prediction software from JBL (Vertec),L"Acoustics (V"Dosc and DVDosc)and SLS Speakers.

I"m sure I am forgetting some but that pretty much jams up my computer.

Oldmics

I have a Fluke 97 Digital storage O-scope, HP signal generator, Fluke 87 VOM, Vidsonics crossover breakout box, dbx223 3way active filter with m-35 power amp ( used to find best voiced crossover points)

I run the formulas on paper to design boxes, has worked for me for 20 years. Calculate T/S parameters with The Woofer Tester, an inexpensive device that gives TS results quick and easy

Thread Information